The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 16, 2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Nathan

psak47 vs psa ks47

Both of these look like a great way to get 7.62 x 39 into my gun safe.

So, KS47 vs PSAK47?

I'm looking for a rifle that will shoot cheap steel case ammo all day long and ring 10" steel every time at 100 yards.

I'm a total newb at this type of rifle....what is preferred....I kind of want the ak for the platform, but only if I can mount a dot sight and get decent accuracy.

The KS is nice due to ar compatibility, but that keeps me from having the side folder.

I would like to reload....is there a reasonable way to get brass for it? What bullet diameter for these rifles? I hear people load .308-.312...

Thoughts? Input?

Last edited by Nathan; September 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old September 16, 2017, 06:32 PM   #2
stagpanther

I've recently purchased and compared the PSAK to their AR upper--which has the same 16" nitride barrel as the variant your eyeing. I personally could care less if the AR variant accepted AK mags--in fact I would prefer not to have that added complication tacked on to the lower.

Simply put--the accuracy of the AR barrel is significantly better than that of the AK's in the versions I bought. Since I'm not the kind of shooter that gets satisfaction from dumping huge quantities of cheap ammo through a weapon--I clearly prefer the AR version. However, if having a gun that is probably going to go bang every time no matter what you feed it under any circumstances--than the AK is the way to go. IMO--Ak's have a very high "cool" factor too. My PSAK does not have a nitrided barrel or action components--mine starts spot rusting very quickly whenever exposed to moisture. My less than 2 cents.
Old September 16, 2017, 06:58 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

I was very interested in a KS47, but there have been reports of feeding problems when there's pressure on the magazine. There's no stop for the front locking tab, and it puts pressure against the BCG.

At this point, I'd get the PSAK47, and I'm thinking I'm going to very soon.
Old September 17, 2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Nathan

I think you guys have pinpointed why this is a hard decision. Maybe I should bail on the idea again, but I've always wanted to get some time on an ak rifle...
Old September 17, 2017, 09:39 AM   #5
stagpanther

You might want to consider getting a ruger ranch rifle in x39 if you're looking to "dip your toes" in the x39 world before making a decision on which way to go with the semi-auto route.
Old September 17, 2017, 04:01 PM   #6
DubC-Hicks

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-...516446444.html this is the route I'd go. Cheaper than a Mini 30.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/roma...asr-10-ri1805n

Then again, I wouldn't have any problem buying a new WASR 10 either.
Old September 17, 2017, 04:27 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

For accuracy and being easy on brass for reloading, hands down my AR47. But, I've had my MAC 90 for almost 30 years and it will never leave my safe. The MAC/AK is just so fun to shoot, reasonably accurate and built like a tank. I have reconfigured the MAC to an original AK configuration with an Ironwood stock. And yeah, the 'cool' factor of the AK is hard to beat. My AR47 shoots consistently between 1-2 MOA where the AK is more like 2-4 MOA. Years ago when I first got my AK I went to the range and started shooting at the gongs, and was consistently ringing the 300-400 yd gong with original sights. I was quite amazed at that, wished I still had that eyesight.
Old September 17, 2017, 05:55 PM   #8
marine6680

My PSA AK has been fairly accurate, not as accurate as my ARs though. 4in groups at 100yds was around where it would be if I did my part and took my time.

The AK is an interesting critter... More of a visceral shooting experience than an AR.

There are ways of getting a red dot on an ASK, none are ideal, but they work.

I got an Ultimak rail, it did have a bit of a negative impact on my groups, not huge but noticable... About an inch larger.

Others make similar products, and some may be better than the Ultimak, or at least not affect accuracy as much.

True 7.62x39 bullets are a bit larger than the standard 30cal stuff available, so getting bullets designed for 7.62x39 is best.

Brass cased ammo runs almost twice as much as cheap brass 223. Buying empty cases may be a good way to go.
Old September 18, 2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Mobuck

I think having to use a dedicated AR lower set up for AK mags sort of defeats the "universality" of the AR platform. I've not had any issue with feeding the 7.62 AR's that I have.
Old September 18, 2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Nathan

Thanks...You guys are pulling me back towards the PSA AK!
Old September 18, 2017, 08:39 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
Thanks...You guys are pulling me back towards the PSA AK!
Given your original requirements--the PSAK absolutely will fit your bill. I use the Midwest industries mount for my red dot and it works very well--though it is a bit of a pain to mount and dismount with every cleaning. It may take a bit of finesse to find the "sweet spot" for the right tension of the mount screws--but you need to be careful not to overtighten them. I think there are a brand or two that might have a picattany rail integrated into the dust cover--I saw a video from a recent Kalashnikov factory "demo days" in Russia that their latest version of the AK has the rail integral to the cover--and also has a free-float fore-end.