The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 6, 2017, 11:15 AM   #1
kraigwy

M1 Garand: Best Military Sights Ever

Took one of my Garands to the range. Set this 9 inch gong up. Using the elevation dial marks, set the sights a 100, shot 100 yards, 200, shoot 200 yards, 3 and 4 respectively. Using M2 Greek Ball.

Tried 500 but with the morning light I couldnt see the target. With sights set to the ammo, you can shoot to 1200 yards, if you can see the target.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 6, 2017, 12:16 PM   #2
smee78

Nice shooting, wish I had a nice open location to shoot out to 500yrds. How thick is the plate your shooting at?

I need to take my M1 out, it really is a quality weapon and I love the open sights on them. Now if the weather would just cooperate.
Old August 6, 2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Dave P

Great looking (and shooting) rifle Kraig. Glad you don't let it get ugly like your M-14!
Old August 6, 2017, 02:08 PM   #4
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
Took one of my Garands to the range. Set this 9 inch gong up. Using the elevation dial marks, set the sights a 100, shot 100 yards, 200, shoot 200 yards, 3 and 4 respectively. Using M2 Greek Ball.

Tried 500 but with the morning light I couldnt see the target. With sights set to the ammo, you can shoot to 1200 yards, if you can see the target.
Good shooting! It looks like nine hits at least. How many rounds did you shoot, and how many hits did you get at each distance? Also what was your shooting position?

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model
Old August 6, 2017, 02:27 PM   #5
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78 View Post
Nice shooting, wish I had a nice open location to shoot out to 500yrds.

I need to take my M1 out, it really is a quality weapon and I love the open sights on them.
Where are you located in SC? My gun club is in Elberton, GA, which is only about 14 miles from the SC line. The club has target backers for center-fire rifles at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model
Old August 6, 2017, 03:42 PM   #6
smee78

Rjinga,

Thanks for the info about your club, sounds like a great club to be a part of but would be quite a drive for me. I'm down in Charleston lol. Only club that is setup like yours around here is way to steep for me to join and you have to have a sponsor and there is work days and so on a so forth. Maybe if I was retired and went shooting 2-3 times a week but.......Thanks for sharing.
Old August 6, 2017, 03:58 PM   #7
kraigwy

Quote:
It looks like nine hits at least. How many rounds did you shoot, and how many hits did you get at each distance? Also what was your shooting position?
There are a lot more then 9 hits, they over lap. I varied the shots per distance, at 1 and 200 yards not many, I shot more at 3 & 400, just had to hold tighter. I normal shoot a 6 o'clock hold on the NRA targets which have bigger aiming circles, so as you move out with the 9 inch target you have to aim a tad low to keep using the sight settings for that range.

This was shot prone using a sling, like the picture below. I only shoot this rifle in the standard CMP/NRA legal positions because that's where I do most of my shooting.

Old August 6, 2017, 04:02 PM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Glad you don't let it get ugly like your M-14!
Thats not nice. My M1A isnt ugly. Its a pretty Rifle. By the way it has the same sights as the M1.

[
Old August 6, 2017, 05:41 PM   #9
4EVERM-14

That's how to show us how it's done kraigwy!!
Position shooting is pure shooting. No benches,sand bags or bipods.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old August 6, 2017, 08:46 PM   #10
hagar

Come shoot at the Mid Carolina GUN club near Orangeburg. They have a 300 yard shoot the last Sunday of every month. Scopes or irons, lots of people shoot Garands. Would love to shoot mine, but I normally shoot a scoped AR s my eyes have gone South.
Old August 6, 2017, 10:41 PM   #11
MagnumWill

I just shot an NRA High Power match at our club using the M1. I second the sights are about the best irons I've used. The trigger is also quite good, not bad for being a 70 year old rifle.

Honestly? It kind of cured me of my AR build-o-rama fever. PPU has been selling Garand .30-06 at ~65 cents a round.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:44 AM   #12
baddarryl

Great Steady Hold Factors Kraig! I took my 1941 CMP Service Grade out to 500 yards this weekend and was banging steel. Unreal! First time past 185 yards with her. Same way, prone with a Loop sling.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:45 AM   #13
baddarryl

Quote:
PPU has been selling Garand .30-06 at ~65 cents a round
What is PPU?
Old August 9, 2017, 08:09 AM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
What is PPU?
Prvi Partizan
Old August 9, 2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Brit

Kraig Stuart.

Sir.

I can not understand, why was not a 20 round Magazine used, on the original design. The Garand. As opposed to stripper clips?
Old August 9, 2017, 10:27 AM   #16
P5 Guy

Brit, can I but in?

Aesthetics played a small part so did the perceived waste of ammunition. It would have made some sense considering the BAR was using 20 box magazines.
The M14 was designed to load from 5 round stripper clips and like the SMLE the magazine was more than likely to stay in place, instead of the troopers carrying bandoleers of 20 round magazines.
Old August 9, 2017, 12:48 PM   #17
MagnumWill

I think shooting prone was a large consideration as well.
Old August 9, 2017, 01:12 PM   #18
agtman

Very nice M1, Kraig. Great pics too.
Old August 9, 2017, 01:43 PM   #19
Pat T

Kraig

Did the very same thing with my Garand and 03A3 this past weekend at 400. I love these rifles! Once you get the elevation it's point and shoot!
Old August 9, 2017, 01:56 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Quote:
I can not understand, why was not a 20 round Magazine used, on the original design. The Garand. As opposed to stripper clips?
Mr Garand designed a 20 shot box magazine rifle in 1920. It was primer actuated which is a very neat and clean system but it was obsoleted by changes in ammo; some say to more progressive powders, some say to crimped primers.
I am not certain of the change to enbloc (not stripper) clips but it may have been because he was playing catch up with Pedersen who had the inside track at one time.
Old August 9, 2017, 02:01 PM   #21
Pat T

Jim

I read in Hatcher's Notebook it was because .gov was afraid the troops would spray and pray. So they required limiting the capacity to prevent wasting ammo. Sounds like them.
Old August 9, 2017, 02:03 PM   #22
Jim Watson

The Army always worried about troops wasting ammo. QV magazine cutoffs on Krag and 03. Might make sense in a day when supplies were delivered by mule.

Looking at the museum site, it appears that he gave up on the box magazine very quickly, going to clip loading even before going to gas operation.

https://www.nps.gov/spar/learn/histo...nd-1919-36.htm
Old August 9, 2017, 06:42 PM   #23
polaris joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EVERM-14 View Post
That's how to show us how it's done kraigwy!!
Position shooting is pure shooting. No benches,sand bags or bipods.
That's right. One of the best things a shooter can do is try to avoid the bench.
Old August 11, 2017, 08:12 PM   #24
Andrewsky

I'd have made the rear sight ears taller and made it so the front sight could be adjusted in clicks rather than using a guess & check method to set the "no wind" zero. Also I'd have made it so you could adjust the elevation dial without needing a flat head screwdriver.
Old August 13, 2017, 07:48 AM   #25
kraigwy

Quote:
I'd have made the rear sight ears taller and made it so the front sight could be adjusted in clicks rather than using a guess & check method to set the "no wind" zero. Also I'd have made it so you could adjust the elevation dial without needing a flat head screwdriver.
What am I missing here?

There is no "guessing and checking" with the no wind zero. Simple zero the rifle for no wind. On the rear sights there are marks on the receiver and sights. When zeroed, count the clicks left for right from the center mark. That is you No Wind Zero. Example:

2 Left, 3 Right, etc. etc.

I fail to see why the front sight has to be taller. It matches the rear sight as it is. As to the ears, they are higher then the front sight post, to protect the front sight, Why Change?

You do not need a flat head screw driver to adjust for elevation. Simple click the dial to adjust the sight to the desired elevation. The scew on the left side of the sights is for loosening the dial so it can be set to the marks on the receiver.

Its rather simple. Zero the right at any range. Lets pick 200 yards. Count the clicks as you bottom out the sights. That gives you the number of clicks you need to be on at 200 yards. Bottom the sight again. Loosen the screw so you can turn the knob to the 200 mark without moving sight. After the 200 yard mark is lined up with the witness mark on the receiver, turn it down to the same number of clicks you came up with for your 200 yard zero.

Example, after sighting in at 200 yards you determine your 200 yard zero is 13 clicks up.

With the sight loose, with the 200 yard mark lined up with the receiver mark, use the knob to count down 13 clicks. Then tighten the screw.

Now count up 13 clicks, your 200 yard mark now lines up with the mark on the receiver. If not, do it again.

Once thats done your rifle is now sighted in for any yardage to 1200 yards.

If the sight is so tight you need to use a screw driver to change it, then you need to loosen the screw on the RIGHT side of the receiver.

After setting the sight one need to run it to the top. With your thumb, try to push the sight down. If you can push it down, you need to tighten the screw on the right side of the rifle sights.

Both the elevation and windage knobs should be set where you can easily adjust the sights with thumb and fore finger with out getting out of position. Yet tight enough you can push the sight down.

Its not near as complicated as it appears in reading about it. Its rather simple.

If you elect to use clicks instead of the markings on the sight, thats easy also. You're zero is (per our example) 13 up, 3L for 200 yards. Thats easy to remember. But then you need to know how much to come up for each yard line.

Normally you need to come up 3 clicks from 200 to 300, 4 clicks from 300 to 400, 4 clicks from 400 to 500, 4 clicks from 500 to 600, then 5 clicks from 600 to 700, etc.etc. it changes with the range.

Thats a lot to remember. And a lot of counting, where its easy to miss count. So in my opinion, using the marks on the rifle is so much simpler. Plus its easier to come back to your zero after a session of shooting if you didnt write down every correction you made for elevation and windage.

All the marksmanship fundamentals in the world go out the window if you dont have a zero and confidence in that zero. This is true for every rifle you have.