The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Under the pillow or not?
Yes 13 7.10%
No 170 92.90%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 27, 2012, 04:20 PM   #26
lawnboy

Definitely not. Think about it: what is the guarantee that the pistol stays where you put it? I'd rather sacrifice a second to reaching into the drawer of my nightstand. At least I won't inadvertently move the gun in my sleep there.

Under the pillow is a dumb idea if you ask me. Good enough is often good enough.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 27, 2012, 04:22 PM   #27
ATW525

Nope. If you stick it under the pillow, there's no telling where it be when you need it. Why not just leave it on the nightstand and stick a magazine (of the reading variety) over it?
Old February 27, 2012, 05:11 PM   #28
markj

That guy would have gotten by the motion sensored lites, 6 dogs and a lite sleeper. Just wont happen in my house. Then there is the long drive out from town....
Old February 27, 2012, 05:48 PM   #29
TailGator

When it is in my nightstand drawer it can be retrieved in a second or less, the trigger is protected, and I can lay my hand right on it in the dark because it is in the same spot with the same orientation every night.

Pillows have other purposes.
Old February 27, 2012, 06:01 PM   #30
nhsmoker

As crazy as it may sound I am too afraid to keep a gun under my pillow. I sleep on my stomach with my arms under my pillow and I have a fear that I will dream of shooting weather in self defense or just at the range and actually shoot myself or my wife. This may be far fetched but it does go through my mind. I will not take that chance. My gun is close enough to me that with any advanced warning such as my dogs barking I am confident I can get to it before anyone makes it to the bedrooms of me or my kids.
Old February 27, 2012, 06:52 PM   #31
lawnboy

Quote:
As crazy as it may sound I am too afraid to keep a gun under my pillow
You sound sensible. Not crazy.

Crazy would be actually KEEPING the gun under the pillow.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 27, 2012, 07:01 PM   #32
Seaman

Re: Lock-box
Have a lock-box with an electronic keypad, but if the perp is already in the room with duct tape, a baseball bat, or knife, or hammer, or gun, I would rather go for a pillow gun, than get clumsy with the combo to the lock-box.

Re: Pistol staying put
The 1911A1 is a heavy pistol, flat with a big safety that anchors it to the mattress along with (rubbery) black Pierce grips that stick it in place. Never had it move, but if it doesn't work for you thats fine.

Re: Nightstand drawer / gun under mag
Should work well but if I fumble with the drawer or mag, pushing the gun off the night stand, dropping it, etc. Don't like a gun away from me when an assailant is present. Inches can be too far, seconds too short.

Re: Crazy
Crazy, maybe, but I ain't stupid.

In the bedroom, the quickest handgun defense is under my pillow.

Sleep well my friends....but not too soundly
Old February 27, 2012, 07:25 PM   #33
gnarSKYLER

I sleep with my hand under the pillow, so there's no chance I would keep a gun under there. Even with a manual safety like my px4, just not willing to take that chance.
Old February 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #34
CWKahrFan

I screwed and glued a small nifty customized wood (with foam pads) "shelf" on the underside of the top of my bedside cabinet. The gun is completely hidden from anyone higher than knee-height yet it's easy to reach and draw. I keep the door open at night but can close and latch it during the day.
Old February 27, 2012, 07:54 PM   #35
Seaman

"...a small nifty customized wood (with foam pads) "shelf" on the underside of the top of my bedside cabinet...it's easy to reach and draw. "

Excellent tactical layout. And pretty close to a pillow gun, perhaps better (quicker access)...I applaud your superior intellect.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:17 PM   #36
Jeremiah/Az

Cell phone, SureFire flashlite & gun on the nightstand within reach every night is my MO. 3 90lbs. dogs sleep on the floor at the foot of my bed & they will eat you!
Old February 27, 2012, 08:17 PM   #37
Stevie-Ray

On nightstand for me. If an intruder spots it he'll wake me up tripping on all the crap and cussing his fool head off, and then I've got him.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:51 PM   #38
output

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali
That "bed holster" that hangs off the side of your bed is a gimmick playing on your fears and is designed to make somebody money, not keep you safe. Likewise, if an intruder manages to get to you while you're asleep, he then has your gun.
How many items are you wearing on your person right now that were not designed by someone with the intent to earn money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali
Instead, try to use some smarts: keep the gun concealed but accessible and beyond reach. Consider putting a decoy gun such as a realistic fake in your nightstand drawer. If an intruder finds it, he'll assume he has the upper hand.
How many intruders are going to be fooled by a plastic gun on/in a night stand?

In that case why even carry a weapon? Someone might take it away from you…
Old February 27, 2012, 09:17 PM   #39
scsov509

Quote:
If someone was able to gain access to the bedroom, I really would have failed.
Agreed, in addition to which if an assailant is able to get that close to me while I'm sleeping then it really won't matter where my weapon is located since they'd be close enough to engage me as I tried to employ it. Situational awareness is the key here, putting those other measures into place that will guarantee I'm alerted to the danger before they're standing over me. Besides, my Mossberg 500 isn't going to fit well under my pillow...
Old February 27, 2012, 09:44 PM   #40
Double Naught Spy

Only once did I feel so unsecure that I tried sleeping with a gun under my pillow. Doing so seemed reasonable as I had heard of people doing this all of my life.

It was at the de Anza Motor Lodge in Albuquerque back in the 90s. During the day (when I checked in), it just looked like your typical ancient motor lodge, a bit run down, but clean and with a decent enough person manning the front desk. I had certainly stayed in much worse places over the years.

What I didn't know about was all the grand low life activity that took place after dark...which became clear when I heard a couple of guys arguing over the price of a drug deal. I looked out the window and saw several folks that appeared to be in the business and a coulple of interestingly stylish ladies that seemed perfectly content amongst the dealers. It was old, but not seedy. It was a classic Route 66 southwestern motor lodge

I took the 1911 off the stand and put it under the pillow where I would have it quickly should someone decide to gain entry to my room. When I awoke the next morning, the gun was gone. So much for a great plan. During the course of the night and my nocturnal calisthenics, the gun had tumbled off the mattress and was under the headboard on the ground where I could not reach it without getting up and moving the bed out of the way.

As I later learned, losing guns placed under pillows was not a unique problem

I did not remain at the de Anza for a second night.
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66...buquerque.html
Old February 27, 2012, 09:58 PM   #41
baddarryl

Ok boys, strapped a holster to the backside of the head board. There is an opening in in the face of the board so I can reach and grab while in bed, but would take a conscious effort. Nearly as fast to draw I am sure. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Now time to price a security system!
Old February 27, 2012, 10:23 PM   #42
MR.G

I have been sleepimg with a gun under my pillow for years. Works for me.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:53 AM   #43
Hansam

No gun under the pillow. It stays on my nightstand. There's first the motion activated lights then the alarms on the doors and windows then after that there's the big barking dogs. If the intruder continues to proceed past the lights and alarms and gets past the dog I'll greet him/her at my bedroom door with my gun.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:32 AM   #44
Bob M.

You could also get these if you travel for use in motel doors to at least give yourself a few extra seconds of warning that somebody's trying to get in. Should slow em down a little.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Rubber...0446438&sr=8-2
Old February 28, 2012, 12:00 PM   #45
Ben Towe

No. Tried it. Gun usually ended up underneath me and so I would wake with a rather painful imprint of a 1911 on me. I'll have to pass on that.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:13 PM   #46
Edward429451

Are you guys for real? Someone might get in and get to the gun on the nightstand? Get a dog and lock your bedroom door at night. My guns right on the nightstand and many more is steps away, and I sleep real light.

If he could make it past the dog (doubtful), I would have already alerted to the commotion and armed myself. I think its important to always place the gun in the same spot so you have no problem finding it in the dark.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:18 PM   #47
Sure Shot Mc Gee

fiddletown You Sir need some "enlightment."

For the best

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; February 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:31 PM   #48
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee
Would a burglar climb up on someone's roof to cut two 120-volt 100-amps # 2 size entrance cables? Or pry open a telephone box mounted to the side of a house? Knowing maybe its owners are home? Most homes about to be burgled are observed hours or days in advance by the bad guys.....
You're making a lot of assumptions.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:40 AM   #49
jgcoastie

When I go to bed...

Doors are locked, yes, including the interior door to the garage. A lot of people overlook that door, thinking their garage door is sufficient. Think about this, with less than $200 worth of equipment and a little know-how, I can drive down just about any street in America and open well over half of the garage doors...

Self-designed and built security system is armed.

2 dogs, one is a 5lb Yorkshire Terrier that is scared of her own shadow and barks anytime there's anything/anybody within 50yds of our house. The other dog is a 95lb Doberman... He gets pretty ticked off when the Yorkie wakes him up from his naps, wouldn't want to be on the bad side of that mood at 2am... Or any other hour of the day for that matter.

1911, 2 mags, 200 lumen flashlight, and benchmade are on my "throw belt". It's an oversized nylon holster belt that I can throw over my head (across my chest) and go at a moment's notice. It hangs on my bedpost.

The Mossberg 930SPX is on my wife's side of the bed, between it and her nightstand. Don't mess with mama bear, the entrance to our bedroom is a small corridor of sorts, a perfect "fatal funnel" for anyone entering it...

With my back problems, I wake up in the middle of the night and wind up sleeping on the floor often... When that happens, I grab the throw belt and lay it on the floor next to me.

Under the pillow??? Not a chance...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:49 AM   #50
Onward Allusion

No way. Harden your home, install early warning systems, & lock your bedroom door first.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; February 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: language
Closed Thread