The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 12, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1
cannonfire

S.W.A.T. wannabe

Hey guys I'm new to these forums, so sorry for my inexperience in this topic. I recently had a change of heart in what I want to do for my career. Originally I wanted to be a chiropractor but after realizing that I like guns and kicking in doors too much, I decided that I ideally would like to be part of the FBI HRT or FBI SWAT. I figured since I have some years until I have the opportunity to reach my goal that I would come on here and ask for any advice.

I'm currently a U.S. Marine Reservist in a combat MOS (artillery) and I have a combat deployment (as a Improvised Rifle Squad). I'm in pretty good shape and I love shooting guns. I'm currently looking to buy a new handgun and I figured that you guys could help me in choosing one, so I can get practicing now.

Thanks,
Screams
Old February 12, 2010, 12:57 PM   #2
noyes

google ,

military police agencies
Old February 12, 2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Madcap_Magician

Switch to military police or infantry. Get a college degree (All FBI agents must have one).
Old February 12, 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Doesn't matter what gun you choose today, you will be using what they issue and shooting the way they want you to shoot. Just shoot a variety of guns and get good on all of them, the practice won't hurt.

Artillery is as good a MOS as you can get for general knowledge. Learn the technical aspects of every piece of gear an artillery man can be reasonably expected to work on some day. If there is a rifle or pistol team in your unit give up your beer time and get on it. Might want to drop nicotine and alcohol while your at it. You wouldn't believe how much that affects your heartbeat.

In the meantime take and complete every military correspondence course you can lay your hands on in every subject they will let you take a course in. No matter how oddball it may seem something will eventually come back to you and you can say oh yeah! I know that. Besides it looks good on your record and it's the best free training you can get. Take pre-law and police science courses whenever and wherever you can.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 12, 2010, 05:18 PM   #5
ClayInTx

SWATs might have to shoot guns and kick in doors if nothing else works but I don’t believe most law enforcement agencies seek to recruit those who like it.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:31 PM   #6
KevinBeyerJr

FBI preferred handguns

From what I have read, the FBI originally issues a Glock 23 or if they are low on inventory the Glock 22. If you get far enough I understand that the Springfield Professional .45 is the gun of FBI SWAT...for now, but that might change. I would go with a Glock 23 for now, and if you do have additional funds get a Springfield Professional. Nothing wrong with starting a collection.

Additional info: the Springfield Pro costs $1,900.00, if you end up getting it, post pictures.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:22 PM   #7
cannonfire

Hey guys thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm currently majoring Criminal Justice and am applying for the Atlanta PD, hopefully to get onto their SWAT team in a couple of years. Figure that would look good on the resume. What kind of training regiment should I start doing? I used to lift a lot of weights in the gym but found that my running was hurt because I was so muscular, so I stopped hitting the gym and I only focus on push-ups, sit-ups, pull ups and running. Any other advice?

I really appreciate all of the help guys, any information would help
Old February 12, 2010, 06:27 PM   #8
MTT TL

These days in the military:

Infantry = Infantry
Artillery = Infantry
Armor = Mounted Infantry
Air Defense = Infantry
Truck Driver = Mounted Infantry
MP = Infantry

Don't get the idea that if you join the FBI you will be kicking in doors or signing up for SWAT/ HRT on day three or so. But here is what they use:

MP-5/10 Submachine gun

M-4 Assault Rifle

M1911A1 Custom Pistol (.45 cal)

Glock 22 Pistol (.40 cal)

Remington 870 Shotgun

Precision Arms Sniper Rifle (.308 cal)

So I guess your best bet would be to start with the G22, and 870 shotgun basic duty weapons and work your way into the more expensive stuff later.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:04 PM   #9
old bear

Back cracker to door cracker, that's quite a change in career planes.
Please let us know if you still like kicking in doors when someone behind the door starts shooting back.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10
cannonfire

Old Bear, I've been in my fair share of suicide bombings and terrorist attacks, I think if I was scared about someone shooting back I would have stayed the back cracking course. but thanks hahaha....

I know i wouldn't be joining the swat/hrt on day three, I figured five years or so, but thanks for the advice on the guns.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11
kraigwy

I did the door kicking bit, both in LE and Airborne infantry. I like guns, I have right around 75.

BUT:

My daughter is a chiropractor, she can buy all my guns with her pocket change. She makes a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] Pot full of money.

SWAT dosnt mean guns. I left my dept (retired) with my service revolver they gave me when I retired. The Military didn't let me keep any guns.

Stick with the Chiropractor bit................when you are too old to kick doors and play commie killer, you can spend your chiropractor money on exotic hunting trips instead of worrying about the cost of reloading components going up.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 14, 2010, 10:53 AM   #12
cannonfire

Thanks guys, what about physical training? any suggestions?
Old February 14, 2010, 03:35 PM   #13
poortrader

http://www.fbijobs.gov/1113.asp

NRA Life Member
Old February 14, 2010, 05:04 PM   #14
SPUSCG

For physical training try a lot of running, especially up hills and stairs. You'll be a beast in no time, And crank out push ups and sit ups. Get a good protein like isopure (no fat or sugar) for recovery, and a good vitamin. Glutamine and glucosamine are good for muscle/joint strength.
Old February 14, 2010, 05:13 PM   #15
shooter_john

You would probably end up getting a lot more "playtime" going with a bigger state/ local LEA that would likely have a full time team than with HRT. They train a lot, but don't get used that much operationally, at least around here.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:22 PM   #16
CWPinSC

Quote:
I think if I was scared about someone shooting back
If you're not scared, you're an idiot, and they don't recruit idiots.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:29 PM   #17
CobraCommander

If I wanted to be a G-man, I wouldn't major in criminal justice. Take a look at the FBI's own website:

http://www.fbijobs.gov/1112.asp

Take a look at the "critical skills" list, to see who gets hiring preference. Pretty diverse group of skills!

"Criminal justice" is a pretty common major and won't do much to set you apart from the herd of G-man wannabees. I would look at this list, think about my interests, and try for a more unusual skill and a language proficiency.

Also, if I wanted to kick doors for a living, I would probably avoid the FBI all together. Their primary mission is to investigate a wide range of things, which is why they recruit so many different skillsets. Doorkicking is secondary.
Old February 16, 2010, 10:57 AM   #18
cannonfire

what other department would you recommend then?
Old February 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #19
shooter_john

Check around and see what agencies (mainly bigger agencies) have full time teams. LAPD, NYPD, Dallas PD, etc. Those are the places that would most likely see the most action. Here in Alabama, Montgomery and Birmingham have full time tac units, and there may be others, but I bet the really big metro agencies get the most playtime.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:19 AM   #20
Nickanto

If you want to get in the best shape of your life, join a gym that offers cross fit.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:30 AM   #21
SPUSCG

Contact a police department your thinking of joining, theyll have there swat physical requirements they can give you, and work your way up to where you can not only do that, but do it with time to spare and your finishing easy.
Old February 17, 2010, 11:42 PM   #22
publius

Force Recon and go to college if you decide you want to be FBI.
Old February 18, 2010, 09:01 AM   #23
Blue Steel

+1 for CrossFit, excellent physical fitness program.

http://www.crossfit.com

Any major metropolitan police department would be a good choice for experience. State police agencies are also an excellent choice, and experience with local law enforcement will help if you decide to go federal.
Old February 18, 2010, 02:22 PM   #24
Uncle Ben

A special "drug and gang" unit in a major city PD will get you a decent amount of action
Old February 22, 2010, 11:16 AM   #25
wally626

From the training requirements for SEALS

Quote:
One of the best workouts to assist increasing your scores in the PT and run is the following:

- 100 pull-ups in as few sets as possible Run 1/4 mile in 90 seconds in between sets of pull-ups

- 200 pushups in as few sets as possible Run 1/4 mile in 90 seconds in between sets of push-ups

- 300 sit-ups in as few sets as possible Run 1/4 mile in 90 seconds in between sets of sit-ups

This is a tough workout that can take 30-60 minutes to complete - if you can complete it.
http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test

I would think training to this level would make it for most LEO.