The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 7, 2008, 09:35 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Runnin' deer, in the deep south at least, is also hard on trucks and terrible bad on the wallet as you can really ter up some gasoline heading off the deer and dogs... I never tried it as I wasn't about to take on either expense.
Savage is right.... I wouldn't advise you stand on the side of the road with a picket sign saying no deer doggin during season
Brent
Old July 20, 2008, 10:18 AM   #27
sc928porsche

Hunters have enough advantage over game....they have a rifle. No need to have a dog do all the work for them. If you cant get them on your own, you are doing something wrong or perhaps you are just too lazy.
Old July 20, 2008, 11:05 AM   #28
W. C. Quantrill

We do not permit running dogs on our property except for bird dogs. There is a valid reason for that. Often these hunts start miles from us. Nobody calls and says, we are going to be running hounds up/down the creek. We have livestock up and down the creek for 2 miles.

Well, you guessed it, the dogs get on a coon, or a coyote, or a cat and here they come. Hot on the trail the dogs follow the target animal right up through our feeding lots, and cattle scatter like hell, right through expensive fences, over feedbunks, and then we have to spend the next day trying to find them and get them back and then repair the damage. The hound men are nowhere to be found, and the damage is all on us. If we were asked and plans made so that the hunts would be after we remove the livestock from those areas, then it wouldnt be a problem, but when I have cattle on the creek, then any loose dog gets shot.
Old July 20, 2008, 11:14 AM   #29
djonathang

A few thoughts about dogs and hunting.

I wouldn't go bird hunting without mine. I can't count the number of times that I've either:

A) Found a downed bird, in thick Tules, that I never would have without my dog.

B) The number of crippled birds from other people's guns that my dog has found. There is something truly special about looking down and seeing your dog heeling next to you with a Sprig or Green Head in it's mouth while you're walking the levee.

I've brought my dog pig hunting, but just as a companion. I really enjoy her company. And she's well behaved, just sitting next to me. I know I might get busted due to our combined scent, but I just like to have her with me.

Finally, I think (being a dog owner/hunter) that using dogs to hunt has a lot more to do with the dogs than the hunt. In other words, if someone asks me to go bird hunting, but they say, "you need to leave your dog at home", I probably won't join them. For me, it's the relationship/teamwork/companionship with my dog that brings me The Most joy.

DG
Marlin 39A - Something to shoot while the .270 cools off.
Old July 20, 2008, 01:40 PM   #30
Pahoo

Quote:
Hunters have enough advantage over game....they have a rifle. No need to have a dog do all the work for them. If you cant get them on your own, you are doing something wrong or perhaps you are just too lazy.
A few years back, I would have echoed this opinion. That is until I went deer hunting in Alabama and my perspective changed as the landscape favors the deer and not the hunter. Don't get me wrong, I don't have to hunt with dogs to get a deer but see noting wrong with it as long as it is within the law and in some areas, the DNR has obviously given their blessing. Saw dogs literally run their butts off chasing deer past my stand. With my license, I could take one deer a day with no tagging, check-ins or any kind of follow-up. So, on big game, hunting with dogs is acceptable if it follows the law.

On upland bird hunting, hunting with dogs is sheer perfection as it all comes together. Again, just my opinion.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 20, 2008, 03:31 PM   #31
L_Killkenny

Some very ignorant answers here for sure.

I believe what we hunters think is ethical is directly derived from where we are raise and the laws of our area. Example: In many states it's LEGAL to use lights for raccoons at night regardless of whether or not you have a dog. Here in Iowa it's called spotlighting, its ILLEGAL and considered unsportsmanlike by almost all Iowa hunters, me included. BUT, I'd be DAMN STUPID to bash a hunter using lights in states where it is legal to do so!!! If it's legal, go at it!!

I used to have a bird dog and pheasant hunting without one is dang boring. Without a good gundog you are simply walking thru the brush hoping to kick something up.

Anyone ever try coon hunting with hounds? There is not a harder hunt than chasing dogs thru rough counrty, period!!! I had hounds for years.

Anyone who even thinks about opening his trap (or his online equivilant) and puts down "legal" methods of taking game is a moron and IMHO, should be banned from a hunting site.

Where do we draw the line? Dogs? Semi-Auto Guns? Guns in general? Crossbows? Handguns? Compound Bow's? Where? I'll tell you where: When someone is doing something illegal!!! And don't ever support laws against currently legal methods, you never know when they'll come after yours!!!

LK
Old July 20, 2008, 04:50 PM   #32
roy reali

re:L Killkenny

A+
Old July 20, 2008, 05:37 PM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Chicken or egg?

Dog or gun?
I could sit here and say that using modern arms is unethical since you could go out with a home made hickory bow or atlatl and hunt the "right" way? Or "HOW DARE YOU GO OUT THERE WITH THAT HIGH POWER RIFLE WHEN A MUSKET IS ENUFF?"
Using a dog as a tool is way older than any round any of us on here has ever chambered!
Come on down and go on a hog hunt with nothing but the dogs... No gun... I will let you toss it to it's side and tie it up with some modern made "mule tape" nylon strap... That is a fair chase hunt is it not? No hiding in a tree and waiting for a hog to stumble by... Just tyou, the dogs and the hogs... Fair chase and fair fight.
Brent
Old July 21, 2008, 08:29 AM   #34
Selfdfenz

Quote:
I think it is a sad affair when its against the law to use a dog to trail a wounded animal. There would be much less loss. If its on a leash it should be OK.
Perhaps not aimed at answering the OPs question but certainly one of the most accurate responses posted in this thread. I think this is one page we could/should take out of the European hunting SOPs.

Best

S-
Old July 21, 2008, 08:36 AM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I suggest folks should examine their own cultural biases before getting strongly emotional about a style of hunting.

For instance, some cultures have it that it is an insult to the cook, to the host, if you don't belch loudly after having eaten. There are many other such examples, but I hope folks here are smart enough to not need to be bludgeoned with a long list.
Old August 2, 2008, 07:06 PM   #36
PacoRocks

In Louisiana it is legal to run dogs for deer and we do. They dont run deer off your lease forever. We have jumped the same deer a day or two later on several occasions. We lease 7500 hundere acres. With the tracking systems they have now it is no problem to find a dog where ever it goes. Is it bad to tell of a deer you took running dogs. Or is it bad to brag about a buck you took, sitting in a comfortable box stand, while it had a mouthfull or food, standing still three hundred yards away and didnt have any idea you were even alive.
Old August 3, 2008, 07:45 AM   #37
whiskey

Quote:
Hunters have enough advantage over game....they have a rifle.
I hate to hear people deciding what is "enough advantage" for everyone else. There is always someone that that decides that no one should bait, or use dogs, or use a scope on a muzzelloader, or use a crossbow over a compound, it goes on and on.

If it is legal where you live, more power to you.

I have hunted birds, squirrels, rabbits, deer, coons, fox and hogs with dogs. However, I do not own any hunting dogs.

If we are talking about only long running dogs, then coon dogs, deer dogs, fox dogs and often hog hounds fall into this catagory. What most people seem to have problems with is the dog no knowing property line or running so far off that they can't be found. Well, I have been on hunts with beagles and pointers where the dog gets so far off that they weren't found that day.

I know a lot of hunters that own hunting dogs. They love their dogs like family. They love to hunt the dog, not the game. Most fox hunters that I know only run dogs. They don't even carry a gun.

Try hunting rabbits in the south without dogs. Try hunting quail without dogs.
Old August 3, 2008, 08:31 AM   #38
fisherman66

Quote:
I've only hunted quail or dove with a dog. No rifle was involved. I have watched my FIL train his GSPs, and lazy is not part of the equation. I would guess that he spends two to three times his hunt time each season training EACH dog to just maintain their nose and point behavior. Developing those skills varies, but is much more involved when the dogs are in adolescence. For him it's the tradition that has been practiced for as many generations as he can trace back that he finds important to preserve.

While this only has fringe application to big game hunting, my FIL has trained his dogs to bloodtrail big game (which is legal). I don't see any advantage except to recovery of an animal, but I wouldn't have a problem if it did and was allowed by the law. I firmly believe it's more fair chase than my "high fence" hunts. I think it's also more fair chase than using bait.

Before you snap a judgment, try to understand what might be important and even culturally valuable to gun owners, hunters and the connection to our past.

If you have a problem with dogs; how about birds of prey?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsXtDKdU0Q
Old August 3, 2008, 09:46 AM   #39
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The porsche fella, from what he said in his post, knows nothing of any form of hunting. Best to ignore opinions which are based on ignorance.

Besides, REAL Porsche drivers have 911S models; purists drive 356c types. Water-cooled Porsche? Yuck. A sporting afficianado, of course, has a Speedster, since no other car will allow you to put up the convertible top at 30mph when a sudden Florida PM shower startles you.