The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 22, 2017, 01:16 PM   #26
Fishbed77

Quote:
Fishbed, I just read your thread at THR from five or seven years ago about this rifle. You also seem to be getting respectable accuracy.

Yours is an M4 profile?

What sort of muzzle device are you using?

I'd like to use another heavy taper barrel, but those appear to be scarce. I don't like the M4 profile in principle, but several places have the M4 profile in stock.
I purchased that CMMG .22LR upper in 2012. The barrel is an M4 profile with an A2 flash hider, which is the way it came from CMMG. I've made no modifications to the upper whatsoever, other than Magpul handguards. 5 years later, and it still runs just as well as the day I got it.
Old August 22, 2017, 02:31 PM   #27
zukiphile

Thanks for responding.

I'd like to use the heavy taper barrel, but that may not pan out. I don't love the M4 profile, but your other thread indicated groups of about an inch at 50 yards. I consider that good.
Old August 25, 2017, 11:26 AM   #28
ColoradoMinuteMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
That seems like an opportunity for tuning, much as it is with the 5.56 system...

...Could be, though the way people complain about some of their conversion units, they miss the mark with some frequency. Given the wide range of 22lr bullet weight and velocity, I can understand the problem in making an action function with everything. Looking at my 22lr, the only way to influence function is with the recoil spring and the hammer spring. I an leery about installing a more powerful hammer spring on a rimfire.

While it could be an opportunity to tune, however, tuning of 5.56 is generally not as much a matter of getting it to cycle reliably than it is getting it to perform more to your liking (less felt recoil, adjusting cyclical rate, adjust gas impulse, etc.) With a .22LR in an AR (and lots of other .22LR semi automatics) you're often trying to fix malfunctions, such as FTE, FTL, etc.

Yes, some people complain of the current conversion kits and I'm honestly not a huge fan of them. If we're all being honest we'd probably say, .22LR is one of the more difficult cartridges to develop a semi automatic firearm for. There are some who have done a really good job (Ruger 10/22), but for every well performing .22LR semi automatic firearm there are probably 2-3 that are marginal in reliability. I don't think a drop in adapter, as you discussed, that relies upon the OEM buffer and spring would increase the chances of things working better out of the box than the current "all in one" adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)
Old August 30, 2017, 08:34 AM   #29
zukiphile

CMM, I don't doubt your observations. It also occurs to me that a rimfire may require more precise bolt position than a centerfire, and mounting the bolt as a Ceiner kit does may be more precise.

Yesterday I found an outfit that makes a 22lr in the AR format using the buffer spring to drive the bolt. Disassembly happens about a minute into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LToS2tOemrQ

Tippman seems to be a manufacturer of airsoft rifles and I am guessing that the short, non-standard, charging handle is an artifact of sourcing from their own existing parts.

Tags
.22lr conversion , ar15 , upper