The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 4, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1
samsmix

BEAR DEFENSE THREAD! But with a serious question.

I remember reading an article written by an Alaskan guide, claiming the .357 180 WFN was just as good a the .44mag for Big Bear defense. The theory was that the sectional density of the 357 load would allow it to punch just as deep, and since deep penetrating bullets don't, by their very nature, do massive tissue damage. . .

Does anyone remember that one?

FWIW, while I do tote the .357 in MT, I also carry pepper spray.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 4, 2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Sarge

Notes from a trip to Alaska in April:

Quote:
.....Since we were traveling light, I took along my .357 Mag SP101 and my old 1911A1. Don't worry about ammo...you can find seriously-heavy handgun loads at the local WalMart. I grabbed an 18-pack of “Alaska Backpacker” .357's using a 200 grain hard-cast, gas-checked LBT.

Upon returning home, I chronographed a few and found them to produce 970 fps from the 2 ¼” SP101. Recoil was noticeable but not unbearable. The load's velocity didn't impress me much- until I started shooting things with it. It easily bored through a 3 inch seasoned oak limb, digging an inch groove in the trunk behind. It shot through an old mower deck- that .45 hardball only dents. This load grouped into about 2 ¼ “ at 25 yards, and the point-of-impact with the little Ruger was only 3” high at that distance. I do believe Alaska Backpacker's 200 grain .357 would shoot through a bear's noggin' and that's about all you can ask of a pocket gun. Truth be told, I would have preferred some of Buffalo Bore's Heavy .357 as it produces better velocity from short barrels. I wouldn't run from CorBon either but neither was available when I was looking for them.

Regardless of the ammo, a .357 is really too light for this duty. If Alaska were my home, a .454 Alaskan or short .45 Redhawk would be my constant companion. The .44 Mag has also proven itself time and again, and my choice of the .45/.454 is based solely on my sticking to one caliber.
Old August 4, 2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Wildalaska

I know several oldtimers, including a guide, who use .357 up here for defense.

We just had TWO more bear maulings, one just off the highway in a populated suburb, http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/483769.html

Check the video out listed on that page.

Those critters are scary

WildigotsmeasawedoffAlaska TM
Old August 5, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
kurtiss

Wow. That is scary stuff. All we have to deal with down here in Fl are the black bears. I am always prepared in the woods, but they are extremely shy and scared of humans. I want to get to your neck of the woods to hunt in the future. I will be well armed when I do. They say to make noise when in the woods to make sure you don't surprise a bear. Problem is when hunting, you are trying to be as stealth as possible.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
samsmix

It's not that I really think that bears are a major problem. Heck, every one I've ever seen was bent on being somewhere else. I was just curious if anyone else had read that article.

When the .357 first came on the scene, all sorts of mean critters were taken with it, but I consider this more of a stunt than a safe or sane practice.

Old August 5, 2008, 09:43 PM   #6
tyrajam

The advice I've heard on handguns for grizzly defense is no matter what caliber you have, your best bet is to shoot yourself in the head if attacked and get it over with. Unless you punch through the brain or spine, you're getting chewed up. The new sprays are supposed to be the best defense there is.
Old August 8, 2008, 05:10 PM   #7
samsmix

That was the similar to the argument in favor of the .357: No matter what you are using, you had better get a central nervous system hit.

FWIW, I am buying a Bisley Vaquro in .44 mag. Guess which one I'll be carrying? After all, the more (bullet) the merrier!

...Saw a 5" Raging bull for $500...hmmm...I like the Bisley better, but there is a lot of versatility in a DA .454...I dunno. One way or t'other I'm gettin a new toy!

Old August 8, 2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Another bear attack in Anchorage......

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/488208.html

I'm honestly thinking about carrying my .44 around

WildificanfinditAlaska TM
Old August 8, 2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Socrates

Ken:
That link comes up to some registration page...
Old August 8, 2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Wildalaska

Clear your cookies and bypass it...you been reading the Anchorage Daily Worker that much?

WildpravdaAlaska TM
Old August 8, 2008, 10:42 PM   #11
azredhawk44

Quote:
Another bear attack in Anchorage......

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/488208.html

I'm honestly thinking about carrying my .44 around
Getting a bit forward on that one, aren't they?

AZRedhawk44Redhawk44
Old August 9, 2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Billy Sparks

Isn't that the same park that they teenaged bicyclist was mauled at a couple of months ago?
Old August 9, 2008, 08:10 AM   #13
PT111

Quote:
The advice I've heard on handguns for grizzly defense is no matter what caliber you have, your best bet is to shoot yourself in the head if attacked and get it over with. Unless you punch through the brain or spine, you're getting chewed up.
LOL

Always go with a friend that you can outrun or at least shoot him in the leg so he can't run. When it comes to Grizzly's shot placement is key over claiber.
Old August 9, 2008, 09:57 AM   #14
Wildalaska

Quote:
Isn't that the same park that they teenaged bicyclist was mauled at a couple of months ago? .
Yep.

WildtheyareverywhereAlaska TM