The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 5, 2018, 07:28 PM   #51
Sharkbite

Quote:
I thought any duty holster had to use a thumb break.
First, he wasnt “on duty”, so he wouldnt be using a “duty holster”.

Next, thumb breaks are not the standard for retention holsters anymore.

Rotating hoods, ejection port locks and devices that grab the front of trigger guard are the norm in “duty holsters”

OFF duty holsters are of the same type used by the avg Joe in a CCW context. Some Agencies will have a list of approved holsters (and guns), others just make you qualify with your off duty set up
Old June 5, 2018, 07:31 PM   #52
stagpanther

I got a totally different impression--the best part was when he did his "I know nothing" sargeant Shultz impression and walked away. dollars to donuts his LE career ended right then and there.
Old June 5, 2018, 07:55 PM   #53
Satchmoeddie

He's a fed. Worst case scenario he gets transferred to Tweedle ____ Falls North Dakota, or Barrow Alaska, or maybe even a cushy job in Washington DC. Stuff like that is why I take very little notice of what guns and ammo the FBI has just selected, even if they did wind up stuck with a Glock. My CZ75 duty pistol rides in a $300 level III retention holster, and my shoulder holster is an old West German design solo for a Sig Sauer P226R or P228R, and all of these pistols are excellent IMHO. Glock is okay too. I carry a Glock 43 in a belly band, but I generally tuck my underwear up over the pistol, because it rides low and I have more ready access to the Sig or the CZ. I also do not hang out in bars, unless I am being paid, and that is for entertainment of the musical type, not prop comedy, with loaded firearms. Things like this are why I am NOT A GLOCK FAN. I doubt I could pull the DA trigger of any of my hammer fired DA/SA pistols, or DA/SA revolvers trying to catch one of them. Glocks, or any striker other fired guns are best left to hit the ground. This is a prime example of trying to handle a gun in ways that are beyond "almost" anyone's ability.
Old June 5, 2018, 11:32 PM   #54
Cirdan

Sorry for the language. . .

Sounds like our setup in Afghanistan. We bought a lot of sketchy guns in both Iraq and Afghanistan (due to USG rules). Midnight transactions with some "Colonel." Most were junk. But we always ran them by an armorer first.
Old June 6, 2018, 01:58 PM   #55
SIGSHR

Let's have a proper investigation, then disciplinary and legal action. I am a firm believer in Due Process.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:45 PM   #56
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
If you are not a legal expert, can we stop the opinions of who would go to the slammer. If you are not a FBI agent or someone knowledgeable about law enforcement, can we stop the blather about their job roles.

Let us talk about what actually happened and what is actually known. Charges and analyses will be forthcoming. Until then, some of this thread is embarrassing.
Glenn, I'm sorry about the "slammer" remark. It's just that there does seem to be a double standard for civilians vs LE when it comes to things of this nature. I have a lot of cop friends and they tell me stories that validate this, although I would never repeat them.

As for what happened in this case, all kidding aside, I believe that G-men should be able to have fun too. But I think he displayed a lack of judgement if he was drinking and dancing and turning back flips with a concealed weapon on his person. I personally do not think he should be fired, with just the information we presently have, however this isn't something that can JUST be chalked up to being an unfortunate accident. Why? A person was injured as a result of what happened. And he could have been killed.

I do take back my slammer remark. If I had done this they would probably put me in the funnyfarm. LOL! (kidddddinnngggg!!!)

What do you think about it? Do you think it should just be chalked up to the guy didn't do anything really wrong. Accidents just happen and this was one of them? Or do you think he showed a lack of judgement serious enough that maybe he shouldn't be a gun carrying FBI agent and maybe should be relegated to a desk job?

What's your thinking on this?
Old June 6, 2018, 08:49 PM   #57
Sharkbite

I think it will solely depend on his BAC.
Doing a backflip and losing your gun...disciplinary action.
Being intoxicated (while carrying) and doing a backflip...fired. Just a total lack of good judgement
Old June 6, 2018, 11:14 PM   #58
briandg

Quote:
Let's have a proper investigation, then disciplinary and legal action. I am a firm believer in Due Process.
I'm having a hard time believing that he will get off without serious repercussions. That was an incredibly public act of stupidity and that will never, ever go away. That guy was shot by an FBI agent who was being a complete idiot. If a bad arrest can get a guy a million dollar settlement, what sort of settlement will this guy get because Captain dork shot him in the ankle while playing an absolute fool? He's probably been solicited by top level lawyers a dozen times already, sharks who smell blood. Now, consider some of the most vicious anti law and order agitators, there are going to be reporters following this for years.

There are people who believe that this could be swept under a rug. Maybe when I was younger, it happened all of the time. When my hometown was still a rough semi frontier town, police reports included people who were backshot just because they ran, with no genuine probable cause. The frisco railway bottoms were as bad as any slum today, with armed crazies everywhere. Cops died there.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:48 AM   #59
Jazzgun

briandg:
Quote:
I'm having a hard time believing that he will get off without serious repercussions. That was an incredibly public act of stupidity and that will never, ever go away. That guy was shot by an FBI agent who was being a complete idiot.
I strongly agree with you and I'm not a lawyer, a cop or a rocket scientist.

Just the visual of his silly little act will stay with me the rest of my life.

Old June 7, 2018, 07:31 AM   #60
agtman

Quote:
* * * That was an incredibly public act of stupidity and that will never, ever go away. That guy was shot by an FBI agent who was being a complete idiot. If a bad arrest can get a guy a million dollar settlement, what sort of settlement will this guy get because Captain dork shot him in the ankle while playing an absolute fool? He's probably been solicited by top level lawyers a dozen times already, sharks who smell blood. Now, consider some of the most vicious anti law and order agitators, there are going to be reporters following this for years.
Well, if you recall, there's already ample precedent for "Stupid-Cop" stunts that stay in the news for years ...

Anybody remember that idjit DEA agent - the 'Glock Fortay' guy - about 10-years ago now? What happened to him?

The video of him discharging his Agency-issued 'Glock Fortay' inside his pants in that classroom went viral and followed him for years ... it resulted in so much personal humiliation, harassment, and official harangues the guy ended getting a lawyer and suing the DEA and several supervisors for, among other claims, creating a 'hostile work environment' and the 'intentional infliction of emotional distress.'

Poor guy ... *sniff, sniff*
Old June 7, 2018, 09:13 AM   #61
OhioGuy

This is why I only breakdance with Airsoft pistols.
Old June 7, 2018, 09:26 AM   #62
Glenn E. Meyer

And on that note, I close down the dance floor. If and when some action is taking we can discuss it.