The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 2, 2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Rookie21

Springfield Armory Range Officer for Bullseye

I've been toying with Bullseye Pistol shooting and doing well with the 22 stage of the matches but now I'm looking for a 45. My attention was immediately drawn to the Springfield Range Officer as it's advertised as an entry level target arm. So I investigated the price of one, and its capabilities. I also looked at the cost of other guns ready to go, or guns used as base guns to have accurized.

There has been some question as to wether or not the Springfield Range Officer (full size 45 ACP) is acceptable of entry to mid level performance for bullseye use. I called Springfield Armory and askd what kind of groups would they garuntee at 50 yards. "50 yards?" They asked me. "I don't know about 50 yards but we'll garuntee 3.5" groups or better at 25 yards". So the gun may hold 10 ring at 25 but it sounds like a no go for 50. Even if it's just an entry level shooter - how can you expect them to learn and progress if the gun isn't capable? But there's hope. You could send it to Clark Custom to be accurized where they WILL garuntee 2.5" at 50 yards.

So in short - no. A SARO isn't bullseye worthy. But to have one tuned? ... Now we're getting somewhere.
Old November 2, 2015, 09:45 AM   #2
g.willikers

.22s will spoil ya', especially for accuracy.
Expecting a production centerfire pistol to be suitable for precision shooting would be about like expecting the family sedan to be suitable for winning races.
Old November 2, 2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Don P

I'll ask are you capable at 50 yards? How many guns in the SARO price range are making claims at 50 yards??
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 2, 2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Rookie21

None in that price range make any claims at all of any out come at 50 yards. But - for SA to say it's an entry level target arm and then here that it's not capable of decent groups even for a beginner at 50 yards would make me not want one even to start with. However it does make an excellent base gun option to have accurized by Clark Custom for another $400 with a 2.5" 50 yard garuntee.
Old November 2, 2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Rookie21

And I forgot to mention for you Don P - I can shoot low to mid 90's at 50 with my S&W M41 open irons no dot sight. My last match at 50 yards was 97, 93 and 97.
Old November 2, 2015, 12:15 PM   #6
jcj54

SARO

Three members of our bullseye club are using the SARO for bullseye with good results.
Old November 2, 2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Rookie21

Jcj54

What classification of shooters are they and/or what range of scores do you see them getting with the SARO? I may test one before having Clark custom work on it.
Old November 2, 2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Quentin2

I think the key word is "guarantee" which made the CS guy careful. If you'd have asked what do you expect it likely would be smaller than 14MOA!
Old November 2, 2015, 01:59 PM   #9
jcj54

SARO

Two of the shooters are marksmen, one sharpshooter. The marksman shooters are
still learning, the RO pistols shoot better than they do. The sharpshooter is shooting
near expert scores, RO is not hurting him. I am a Master and shot one of the RO and
fired a 92 at 50 yards; shots not in the 10 ring were my fault. My score was 275 that night.
Old November 2, 2015, 02:41 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Nobody GAURANTEES accuracy at any distance without qualifying that statement by stating what ammo. Not SA or Clark.
The difference between the RO and all the other SA Inc. .45's is the grips and the sights. Really makes no difference which one you buy.
No point sending one of 'em anywhere without shooting it first either. Clark will just be separating you from your money. The RO has adjustable sights and trigger with a match grade barrel. What do you think Clark will add?
Old November 2, 2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Rookie21

T. O'Heir

First - I don't claim to be the know all be all pistol shot of the century. I shoot well but it took a lot of time, and a lot of ammo constantly and consistently.

Second - I can only tell you what Clark or S.A. TOLD ME ON THE PHONE. It's not my job to back them up here on the forum. Their pistols and work speak for themselves. But just to be clear: Clark told me that they GARUNTEE a 2.5" group at 50 yards with their accuracy package that they offer. The package is tightening the slide to the frame fit, refitting the barrel bushing, refitting the hood, barrel link, barrel link pin, and a trigger tune up to eliminate any travel, slack or creep. A test target with the ammo specs written on the target is in the box when the gun is delivered. They don't add anything. They take a production gun and make it a custom fitted gun. Rare is it that you find a production gun as tight as a fitted one.

Third - I feel like you might have read the beginning post and not the rest of the conversation. It appears test firing one would be an obvious thing to check first prior to deciding if it's going to Clarks or not.

Fourth - your post made me feel like you don't think I know what I'm talking about where IF that was the case then I'd say you're mistaken.

Have a nice day!