The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2001, 09:58 PM   #1
Joe Portale

glass beading a synthetic stock

Hi,

I'll bet this has been beaten to death on this board, but it needs to be asked. I have a rifle in a synthetic stock that is simply begging to be bedded. How does the glass bedding compound stick to the synthetic material? I have heard that after a short time the reciever and glass bedding goo seperate and the good results are lost.

Is there another method to insure good adhesion besides roughing the stock material up?

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old October 12, 2001, 11:38 PM   #2
DeBee

I can offer up two tips:

Degrease the stock thoroughly. Synthetic stocks come out of a mold with release agent all over them- some residue may remain... I recommend laundry detergent in hot water followed by acetone (inletting only naturally)- You can replace the "lube" on the outside of the stock with ArmorAll.

Make a "stippling burr" by slightly bending a small 1/16" ball engraver bit about 1/2" from the tip and install in your trusty Dremel. Lightly stipple contact surfaces where the epoxy will go-- more precise than roughing up.

Good luck-- should stick.
Old October 13, 2001, 08:42 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, in addition to what DeBee said, where possible I put a few small holes in the stock for the bedding to fill. This helps more than any other method I've found. George
Old October 13, 2001, 02:25 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

In the early days of epoxy, people sometimes had trouble getting it to stay stuck in wood stocks. The problem was, everybody was so used to making absolutely smooth cuts in the inletting, they also made smooth cuts for the epoxy. Now we know to make rough cuts. Drilling holes and undercuts, even leaving a few splinters in place will help bonding.
On synthethic stocks, making holes and undercuts are necessary insure a good bond.
Worse of the bunch are the actual plastic stocks, made of fiber reinforced polymer. Epoxy just doesn't bond well to those, so you'll need the "locking" holes and undercuts.