The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 4, 2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Tinbucket

.357 maximum carbine

I'm not sure if I have ever asked this so maybe again.
Is anyone producing a carbine that will chamber the .357 maximum?
If not is any converting a .357 magnum carbine to handle the .357 maximum round.
Seems it would be a natural for manufacturers. You could shoot .357 max and .357 mag, and .38 in the same gun.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:07 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

I don't know of any commercial production of a carbine in 357 Maximum.
The reason might be that the round is not very popular after all the concern of flame cutting on revolvers. The Contender was chambered for it but it is a single shot and no where as much fun as a magazine fed carbine.
I am working on converting one of my SKS rifles to a manually operated 357 Maximum carbine and from the looks of it it will only involve a new barrel, slight facing of the bolt and a new follower for the magazine.
I don't know whether you could easily tune the gas system to work so I will just do away with it.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:57 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

The thought of shooting the 357max, 357mag, and the 38spl sounds great in theory but it doesn't work well in reality. I have a Browning Low Wall that was converted from 357mag to 357max and it shoots the max round very well. However, with the longer throat it doesn't shoot the mag or spl all that well. Not bad, just not all that great. The max will do around 2.5" at two hundred yards for five shots. The mag will only do that on occassion with five at one hundred. Lengthening the throat doesn't do a lot to help accuracy on the shorter rounds.
Old May 4, 2017, 04:04 PM   #4
steveno

the 357 max would be long for any lever action without a lot of work and maybe not even then
Old May 4, 2017, 04:18 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

Quote:
steveno the 357 max would be long for any lever action without a lot of work and maybe not even then
The 357 Maximum is only 1.605" long with an overall length of under 2 inches. It's a lot shorter than a 30-30 or a 35 Rem. Remember this was used in revolvers. If you put a 180 grain rifle bullet in the case and crimp in the cannelure you end up with an overall length of 2.145". Compare that to a typical 30-30 or 35 Remington with a 180 grain bullet.
It would be a piece of cake in most lever action rifles.
Old May 4, 2017, 04:44 PM   #6
NINEX19

I have zero experience with .357 Maximum.... but, the first thing that came to mind in reading this was to convert a Ruger 77/357. As a bolt action, I think you would get the additional safety margin you might need with that round, though I can not seem to locate what pressures the Maximum has over the Magnum.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:03 PM   #7
ShootistPRS

The current 357 Magnum pressure is 33000 psi.
The 357 Maximum operating pressure limit was 50000 and dropped to 40000 psi.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:31 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I have zero experience with .357 Maximum.... but, the first thing that came to mind in reading this was to convert a Ruger 77/357. As a bolt action, I think you would get the additional safety margin you might need with that round, though I can not seem to locate what pressures the Maximum has over the Magnum.
You'd need to check to see if the max would feed through the magazine or not.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:37 PM   #9
ShootistPRS

I can save you some time...
The 357 maximum will not feed in a tubular magazine lever action and it will not fit in a 357 Magnum magazine.
Old May 4, 2017, 09:58 PM   #10
P Flados

I got into the 357 max with a Dan Wesson shortly after they became available. I eventually added 10" and 14" Contender barrels to my 357 max options.

For those of us willing to deal with the pain (reloads only and brass that was costly and/or hard to find) we enjoyed knowing that we could send 180 - 200 gr 35 cal projectiles at "good for 200 yard hunting velocities" from an nice efficient straight wall case.

Lots of folks have been happy with single shot long guns converted to maximum. Having messed with the maximum as much as I have, I would actually recommend considering conversions to 360 Dan Wesson instead for this type of stuff. With a heavy bullet loaded "long" you can get nearly the same as 357 maximum performance with much better options for getting good results with factory magnum ammo and hand loads in easy to get magnum brass.

As noted, a repeating long gun in a maximum is a different story.

I have heard of attempts at converting lever guns to 357 max with limited success. Existing actions are simply designed for revolver ammo lengths (too short) or 30-30 length ammo (too long) with no easy fixes to get what is needed.

I have seen what looks like a more successful approach to 357 maximum performance. An AR with a rimless cases made from 223 brass seemed to work pretty good:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/89-wild...x-rimless.html
Old May 4, 2017, 11:29 PM   #11
Scorch

No company produces a repeater rifle in 357 Maximum as a standard production item. Taylor Machine produced a couple of them as custom rifles. It is not easy due to the long, thin cartridge, but it can be done. It is not a cheap proposition, but you can be the first on your block to own one!
Old May 5, 2017, 01:00 PM   #12
Tinbucket

.357 maximum carbine

There is a piece in one of the higher priced gun mags, of a carbine that handles the .460 S&W. Not cheap near 2,000.00 I think I remember.
Nice wood butt bead blasted action and barrel.
So the .357 ax should not be a problem to say Henry Riles to engineer a tube feed and the shell lifter a no brainer, possibly.
If it comes to pass it would be nice. I will buy one.