The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 3, 2017, 09:41 PM   #1
tahoe2

Mossberg Patriot 375 Ruger ?

Has anybody here shot one ? Own one ? thinking about getting one, the Laminate stocked model looks good to me,
with a little added weight (Laminate). One could get into a Big Bore, Dangerous Game rifle for around $500 bills.

Also if you have a smaller caliber Patriot rifle, do you like it ? do you hate it ?
Let us know !! Thanks
Old May 4, 2017, 03:52 AM   #2
ballisti

A customer brought in a Patriot with a cracked laminate stock. He was tightening the action screws when it cracked. Upon examination, I found that the plastic internal part that holds the magazine in place and "beds" the action tends to spread the stock in its thinnest area, as the action screws are tightened down.

Your mileage may vary, but I would not want this in a rifle intended for use on dangerous game, or for hard-recoiling cartridges.

The Patriot will hold up well enough if you are careful about tightening the action screws I suppose - But I will not be rolling the dice on that one, myself.

I'd save up for a Ruger, a Winchester or a CZ for any dangerous game round. Well-built, controlled round feed... That's what you want in a dangerous game rifle.

To save money, look for a good quality used rifle. - It is amazing how many of these are shot once or twice, sit in the closet for a few years, and then are sold at a deep discount by recoil-sensitive shooters.

Last edited by ballisti; May 4, 2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:20 AM   #3
taylorce1

First Shots of Patriot 375 Ruger

Mossberg 375 ruger Patriot on it's way

I like the .375 Ruger but I built mine on a M70 XTR action, but I don't find much use for it other than I enjoy it. Recoil can be substantial, but it isn't abusive. It isn't for beginners though, but if the rifle is the proper fit anyone can learn to tolerate the recoil of the .375 Ruger. However, it'll probably be nothing you'll want to put more than few cartridges a day down range.

Howa also makes a .375 Ruger that is pretty affordable, I think you can order it even as just a barreled action and add the stock of your choosing. I think the above problem with the Mossberg stock can be fixed by glass bedding with pillars, but I've never seen one in person. Done by a gunsmith it'll probably add $300 +/- to the cost of the rifle. However, regardless of manufacturer I'd probably pillar and glass bed any .375 Ruger.

Last edited by taylorce1; May 4, 2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Lohman446

I am a big fan of the 375 Holland and Holland which is comparable in many aspects of use to the 375 Ruger. If I was forced to choose a single rifle there is a good chance it would be a 375 (a .270 comes in a very close second).

With that said I find myself developing a flinch after about 5 shots. It makes sighting one in unhandy.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:28 PM   #5
tahoe2

Taylorce1, thanks for the links ! I can build a 35 Whelen cheaper than the price of the Patriot. The 35 W will certainly provide the horsepower for my needs,
but the Patriot is rather enticing at that price point, the next price point 375 Ruger appears to be a Savage Alaskan or Bear Hunter. Any thoughts on those two ??
Old May 7, 2017, 10:42 AM   #6
Buckeye!

I had the opportunity to shoot ia Mossberg in 375 Ruger ...at the range last year .. I put only 5 shots down its chute ..
I must say I was suprised

1. Recoil .. Not bad .. actually nutin like I was expecting... It closely compared to a Mauser I had in 9.3x62 ... Not nearly as bad as a 375 H&H I owned ...

2. Accuracy . Im not a target sharp shooter .. But off the bench @ 100 yds i had a verygood group .. First 3 could easily been covered by a silver dollar .

3. The Mossberg rifle .. Wow .. Great rifle ...action smooth . Shouldered well .. Balanced well

As for a hunting round .. The fellowed that owned the rifle dispatched one whitetail and a few hogs ... Bang plop
Old May 15, 2017, 01:08 PM   #7
tahoe2

Thanks Buckeye! for the info,

I'm definitely NO recoil junkie, while not afraid of it, I'm not trying to knock my teeth out either!
I am no target shooter either ! and a Silver Dollar from "dime sized" bullets is sure good enough for me.
I will have to see if I can find one in stock somewhere as I would like to handle one before buying !

Thanks again for the info