The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 29, 2017, 09:26 AM   #1
toasterburn

How to attach a WW2 Holster to a WW2 Belt?

I found this cool holster in a barn at an estate sale. It was caked in dirt, but after I cleaned it up and oiled the leather, the leather was actually in great shape. I happen to also have a k-frame S&W that fits it perfectly, and I have a WW2 belt I'm not using for anything, so I'd like to pair these.

Unfortunately, it's missing the hook in the back. I tried ordering a replacement but it didn't fit the leather loop here, and bending it to fit broke the hook. Any ideas??

Old April 29, 2017, 12:52 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

You sure that ever had a hanger?
Whatever the hanger was made out of was too hard. If you can find one(not as easy as it used to be), a wire coat hanger might be string enough and still soft enough to custom bend. Or chain link fence bottom wire.
Anyway, Plan 'B' is this. No idea how old it is though.
http://www.armynavysales.com/product...-hook-hangers/
Plan 'C' is buying a repro canteen pouch of some type and salvaging the hanger on it.
Old April 29, 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
toasterburn

I ordered a hanger just like that one; it's the one that broke when I tried to bend it. I don't know what kind of hanging apparatus these had originally, I don't even know what gun it was intended to fit it, though my k-frame is a perfect fit so something similarly shaped. I'll try a coat hanger as a last resort if I can't come up with anything better.
Old April 29, 2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Tinbucket

How to attach a WW2 Holster to WW2 Belt

I have some items that suspend from Viet Nam era belt. I suspect it is the same as WWII sec as the .45 I carried on the airfield fit fine.
Bought a new nylon type pistol belt some time ago and the holes were not spaced the same.
Those hangers are bit tough to bend unless you use a vice and don't bend to much and don't make it belly.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:41 PM   #5
turkeestalker

I've enlisted the expertise of a cobbler a few times in the past for issues like this Toasterburn.
A cobbler or shoe repairman, really any good leather worker, could un-stich the piece that the hanger was under and stich it back with the hanger in place.
With a little leather conditioner, the new line that he used would be virtually undetectable.
Besides, it'd be on the back and out of sight.
They're not as easy to find these days, but they are still around if you search.