The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 14, 2017, 11:31 PM   #1
HoustonBob

Most common mistake I see shooters make.

Today at the range there was a shooter I over heard during a cease fire. He said he was tearing his hair out trying to get his rifle to shoot properly. He had chased down everything he could think of - torquing and lock tighting all the screws etc, and he didn't know what was wrong. He was on the verge of sending his rifle back to the factory. He had a Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in .308, and he was shooting Federal Gold Medal Match out of it. Now an RPR ought to love Gold Medal Match - the crazy in love way I was with that beautiful singer I knew back in the 80's - so there was definitely something wrong.

I said "May I make a suggestion?" He said "Sure." "Try putting a sandbag underneath your bipod. Bipods are meant to be used in dirt - not on something hard like a shooting table, and a sandbag will simulate what it wants." He looked at me doubtfully - "I'm leaning into that bipod and the rubber feet ought to hold that wood pretty well - I don't think that will make any difference." I said "Humor me, what have you got to lose?" He said "That's true, I'm at my wits end."

The next cease fire he walked up to my bench and stuck out his hand: "Man did you nail that. That rifle started shooting clover leafs as soon as I put it on that sand bag."

The problem is that a bipod's feet will hop around like a June bug with a hot foot on something hard like a shooting table or the tail gate of a pickup truck. Every recoil will be different and that will send the bullets everywhere except where you want them to go.

I see everyone, even very experienced shooters, making that mistake every time I go to the range.
Old April 15, 2017, 12:01 AM   #2
MagnumWill

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old April 15, 2017, 03:15 AM   #3
armoredman

Never heard that, very interesting.
Old April 15, 2017, 05:57 AM   #4
OS11085

something to think about and try myself
Old April 15, 2017, 07:12 AM   #5
rob-c

never gave that a thought , but it makes sense 100%...
Old April 15, 2017, 07:14 AM   #6
13gunhey498

My suggestions

Hi,
Good suggestions by fellow members.Yes if you put some bags on rifle stand and hold your breath while shooting then you can get good result .
Thank you
Old April 15, 2017, 07:34 AM   #7
g.willikers

Can you imagine the amount of stuff that gets returned to the manufacturers for supposedly needed repairs, due to the ignorance of the user?
People will spend all kinds of money on gear, but won't go to a shooting school to actually learn how to use it.
Just a day at an inexpensive Appleseed event would do.
Old April 15, 2017, 08:33 AM   #8
NoSecondBest

HoustonBob, you're spot on with this advice. I've been a shooting competitor for many, many years and found this out back when bipods first became popular. They just aren't made for using on a hard surface. Good advice and thanks for bringing it up.
Old April 15, 2017, 08:40 AM   #9
FishinLuke

@Houstonbob

Thank you for suggesting that, makes perfect sense to me and makes me wonder if that's the problem with one of my 308's I was doing load development on. Good on you for noticing someone struggling and giving aid!
Old April 15, 2017, 09:41 AM   #10
mete

Accuracy depends on a rigid system . With bipods bouncing that introduces a big non-rigid element . Either lock it down or absorb the movement .Sand bags absorb movement well !
Old April 16, 2017, 10:20 PM   #11
Itsa Bughunt

Great that you took the time to help someone out. I was having difficulty with my new Savage .308 and "Hank" took a little time with the rifle and fixed the problem for me in less than a minute. The shop where I bought that rifle couldn't be bothered.
Old April 21, 2017, 12:21 PM   #12
StickSixBang

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
Can you imagine the amount of stuff that gets returned to the manufacturers for supposedly needed repairs, due to the ignorance of the user?
People will spend all kinds of money on gear, but won't go to a shooting school to actually learn how to use it.
Just a day at an inexpensive Appleseed event would do.
Well said. It's shocking how much people will invest in the hardware thinking all the most expensive gear will turn them into a precision marksman, and not spend a dime on training to learn proper shooting techniques. Kinda like drag racers will tell you racing is 10% car, 90% driver. Usually, in my experience, a vast majority of poor marksmanship is due to the tool behind the trigger, haha!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old April 21, 2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Retired45

Never would have thought of that. Good tip, thanks!
Old April 23, 2017, 12:54 PM   #14
Don Fischer

It surprise's me that there are so many people that didn't know that! I think a problem is so many people go out and get the latest and greatest with no clue how to use it other than bad advice on the internet! Imagine being out on the side ot a hill getting ready to shoot and propping the fore end up on a rock! There are a bunch of guy's on every site I've ever visited that have their ducks in a row but there's a lot more that are clueless!
Old April 25, 2017, 03:29 PM   #15
zeke

What's truly surprising is the number excellent groups am getting from multiple rifles using a bipod on heavy wooden shooting bench. Including RPR in 308 and 6.5 cm.

What's truly amazing is number of people who jump on a bandwagon, without the knowledge/experience.
Old April 25, 2017, 06:24 PM   #16
DukeConnor

In my experience, bipods need to be "pre loaded". Otherwise they bounce.
Old April 25, 2017, 07:24 PM   #17
Sevens

I'm not much of a rifleman but what surprises me the most about this conversation (and what I see at the range...) is how many people use these bipods.

I took one on a prairie dog hunt once and I only used it to stand the rifle all pretty when I was setting up or tearing down at a location. To me it was of no use, just slightly more bulk.

I suppose I could envision scenarios where having a bipod would be advantageous, but honestly I would prefer a better improvised rest.

But like I said, I'm not a rifleman. I'm a handgun guy.
Old April 26, 2017, 01:20 AM   #18
Scorch

Bipods Weights for firearms for people who cannot use a sling.
Old April 26, 2017, 05:48 AM   #19
zeke

Rifles come in many differing actions and purposes. Their are hunting, target, competition and undoubtedly numerous other purposes for rifles. Am no exspurt, but some rifles are meant to be gripped at the fore end. If you sight them in like a heavy target rifle, their poi may significantly change when you take them hunting. Some don't well with for end resting on sand bags.

Heavy target rifles can be easier to shoot off a bipod, their weight alone can pre load the bipod. There are also numerous differing bipods. Although haven't hunted in some time, none of my hunting rifles have bipods.

Bipods can offer some advantages, like quickly adjusting front height, with out carrying around more bags.
Old April 26, 2017, 06:16 AM   #20
rebs

what is pre loading the bipod ?
Old April 26, 2017, 07:54 AM   #21
HoustonBob

what is pre loading the bipod ?

Putting a consistent forward pressure on the stock with the shoulder by leaning into the rifle to take the slack out of both the deployed bipod and the human body. This ensures a more consistent recoil since the slack in the shooter firearm system will otherwise change shot to shot.
Old April 26, 2017, 08:46 AM   #22
HoustonBob

It is amazing the differences that small changes in a rifle system can make. I changed the butt stock on my AR-15 from the stock single pin adjustable "baby rattle" to a Magpul CTR with the friction lock. I hoped it would help eliminate the occasional fliers I was seeing out of the rifle. It did that, but it also did something I never expected it to do; it changed my zero 2 full mils to the left. I was almost shooting off the paper with the new butt stock. Evidently I was having to pre load the old butt stock to the side so much that the rifle was recoiling significantly out of line. I never expected that much difference from a simple butt stock change.
Old April 26, 2017, 03:24 PM   #23
Rifletom

HoustonBob, Thanks for sharing that with other shooters. I learned that and how to handle the rear bag from Mike Thompson at his shooting range yeeears ago, and have stuck with it. Major improvement. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Last edited by Rifletom; April 26, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old April 26, 2017, 04:39 PM   #24
TXAZ

No wonder I'm not putting 10 rounds through the same hole at 1,000 yards!
Thanks.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 28, 2017, 06:16 AM   #25
rebs

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that with other shooters. I learned that and how to handle the rear bag from Mike Thompson at his shooting range years ago, and have stuck with it. Major improvement. Thanks again for pointing this out.
can you elaborate more on handling the rear bag ?