The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Doug S

What's the going price for a Maverick 88?

I just picked up a new Maverick 88 Security model. I bought it from a local hardware store that I like doing business with, and who generally has good prices in comparison to other local gun dealers. That said, the price tag was $279. I didn't do any price research on it prior to buying other than to read that the Maverick seems to have a record of reliability, and because I've been wanting an affordable American made security shotgun for some time (after stupidly trading off two Mossberg 500' in recent years), and I hadn't been able to find one on the shelves in recent months with all of the Obama gun buying going on lately. I was surprised to see it sitting on the shelf with a "Made in the U.S.A." sticker after not seeing any Mossbergs in stock for so long. So I decided to get it because I didn't think it would stay on the shelf long.

Afterward I noticed the Maverick is generally a sub $200 gun. I'm not disappointed that I bought it, and $279 was still not a lot of cash to put out for what seems to be a decent shotgun. I'm just wondering if $279 price tag is fairly typical of what they are going for in mom and pop dealer shops considering the current political environment, or if this dealer has just started marking prices up. Thanks for any info.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; April 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2
the rifleer

I think you paid more than you should honestly, but ive seen worse
Old April 26, 2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Doug S

Rifleer, thanks for the quick response. I don't doubt that I paid a higher than average price, but I would like to hear what the local smaller dealer store prices are these days.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old April 27, 2013, 12:00 AM   #4
mwells72774

Re: What's the going price for a Maverick 88?

When theyre available they go for $199 here at our lgs
Old April 27, 2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Doug S

Thanks for the info. I see them online for that price also.
Old April 27, 2013, 12:10 AM   #6
the rifleer

There is no shortage of shotguns here. I saw 12 gauge mossberg 500 with a 26'' barrel yesterday for $269.
Old April 27, 2013, 12:18 AM   #7
38superhero

I love my 88, believe me you will get your moneys worth.....
Old April 27, 2013, 01:35 AM   #8
CajunBass

If you got something you wanted at a price you were willing to pay, you got a good deal.

Enjoy it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 27, 2013, 08:29 AM   #9
jonnyc

I got mine at Walmart a bit less than 2 years ago, for $177 + tax.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Doug S

Thanks everyone for the responses, and as stated above, I am happy with the Maverick and don't feel like the $279 was too much to pay (although it's always nice to get a good deal). I do like doing business with this local establishment. I've been doing business there since I was a kid. In fact I got my first handgun and deer rifle there. They have downsized a lot in recent years and seem to be struggling. They are the last local gun shop in immediate area. I cetainly didn't get a "deal" on it, but having paid as much for my two previous Mossberg 500', the Maverick seems to be their equal, and worth the money. I just wanted to know how much more I spent than the average. From what I've been able to gather, I paid about $40 to $$80 higher than the norm, but I figure the current political climate is playing into it. As I mentioned earlier this shop generally has the best prices of the shops in the tri-county area around where I live. I plan to get it out to the range today. Thanks again for the comments.

Last edited by Doug S; April 27, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:41 AM   #11
DasGuy

That's what's so great about pump shotguns. What seperates a good deal from a "bad" deal is less than $100.
Old April 27, 2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Evan Thomas

Supporting a locally owned business that you've had good dealings with in the past... priceless.

I hope they make it -- things are tough these days for almost any small business.
Old April 27, 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
rcase1234

Yes I believe you over payed. I've seen them go cheaper and for about $30-$40 more (well more than what you payed) you could've gotten a Mossberg 500 with 28" field barrel and 24" rifled barrel(well in my area anyways)
Old April 27, 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
bt380

I paid $230 in May 2012 for my MM88. It was the cheapest I could find in my local area.
Old April 27, 2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Doug S

Thanks all for the additional info. I just got back from my brother in laws farm. We put a variety of 00 Buck, slugs, and game loads through the Maverick, and I am very happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this shotgun to others. Money well spent. I plan to go back next weekend and continue breaking it in, and get use to how it handles.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:51 PM   #16
breakingcontact

Don't beat yourself up over the price. Too often, we'll spend tons of time online, or even driving all over looking for the best "deal".

Sometimes it's better to just pay and be done.

Enjoy it.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:58 PM   #17
Doug S

breakingcontact,

Agreed, and thanks for the positive words.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:31 PM   #18
danez71

I just shot the 5 shot model for $239.xx.

Ive seen them cheaper than $239.xx around here but not recently.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:21 PM   #19
wagdog

I saw them at Wal-Mart around here for $199. Still plenty of shotguns and shotgun ammo here in Utah. 223, 22LR, 9mm, etc. has pretty much dried up.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:17 PM   #20
Doug S

I'm going to have to look around, because if I could find another security model for under $200 I'd probably pick up a second.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:31 PM   #21
PetahW

FWIW, the Maverick IS a Mossberg........................

Old April 30, 2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Doug S

PetahW,

Yes, that is my understanding. It's been interesting to try to find out where they are currently made. The best I can gather is that all Mossberg pump shotguns are now made at the Maverick facility in Texas, of the same parts (other than the safety and the pinned action), and are pretty much identical (other than maybe some fit and finish). Some still call the Maverick the "Mexican Mossberg", but if that's true is no less true of the Mossberg 500 series from what I've read. Mossberg marks the Maverick as being "Made in the USA, and that includes a sticker on the stock, the stamping on the bottom side of the receiver, and the stamping on the barrel (which from what I've read used to be stamped Mexico). I've previously owned two Mossberg 500', a 8 shot Persuader and a 6 shot tactical model, and I notice no difference in the quality between those and my current Maverick.

Just thought I'd mention this here for other newbies doing information searches.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #23
wagdog

My Dad bought me a Maverick years ago. It is a 12 gauge with the 18.5 inch barrel. I've since added two more Mossbergs to my collection (500 and 590A1). I've put a bajillion rounds through my Maverick. It slicked up nice and goes boom every time. I personally like the tang safety of the 500 and 590A1 but there is nothing wrong with a Maverick. The barrels for the 500 fit it just fine. I believe there is a package deal that Mossberg has for these where the Maverick comes with an 18.5 inch barrel and 26 inch barrel for hunting. Pretty decent value in my opinion.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:19 PM   #24
PetahW

FWIW, any gun made outside the US must, by law, be marked with the country of origin - they don't have to be conspicously marked, but marked (usually stamped into the metal somewhere) they are.

For a manufacturer to place a "Made in U.S.A." sticker on a foreign-made product would be a violation of the Consumer Protection laws.

( IOW, they can no longer get away with "made in USA", meaning the city of USA, Japan - as has been the case every once in awhile in the past, on some products.)

Old May 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Plumbnut

I have a maverick 12 ga that came with a pistol grip and 18" barrel.

Personally to me the gun feels cheap when you work the action. I guess becuase it was cheap.