The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 12:16 AM   #26
TxFlyFish

Thousands of rounds but how many thousands it's up for debate. Could be a couple, could be tens of thousands despite what Beretta claims. Basically, consider the locking block as a wear and tear item, keep some extra handy, if it breaks it's not gonna fly in your face, just replace the worn one
Old February 17, 2013, 12:16 AM   #27
shootniron

I had the opportunity to get one that was lnib...but I passed as it was just too large.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:16 AM   #28
Pilot

I recently bought a new Italian made 92FS after years, and years of avoiding them as I didn't likethe safety as well as some other things. Well, I really like the pistol, and don't feel the need to engage the safety on a DA/SA pistol, so that is a non-issue. I just don't use the safety.

It is a large 9MM, but fits me fine, and is reliable, and accurate. I am still getting used to shooting it, but I would guess it is more accurate than me. If it fits you, and you like it, buy it. They are currently good values for a well made, quality pistol.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:52 AM   #29
AndyWest

92FS is one of my favorites. True, the safety isn't the most ergonomic, but that's the only complaint that comes to mind. It is large but that's a preference thing, and I find it fits my ape hands well, especially with some Hogue grips. It's currently my home defense gun.

I wish you could handle it before buying. Still it sounds like a great deal that I would take. Even if you don't like it you should have no problem selling it for even money.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:40 PM   #30
TailGator

Another vote for the Beretta. Good price on a fine pistol, beautiful in both appearance and in function, an icon as you said. I love mine. Nothing against the Ruger, but the Beretta is a cut above most other pistols.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:28 PM   #31
Rogervzv

IMSOHO a Beretta 92fs would be a $1000 gun if they were not mass-produced, thereby driving the cost down. I love my Ruger SR pistols, but the 92fs is a classic. At under $500 that is too good to pass up.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #32
MercyfulFate

I did end up buying the Beretta, and it had barely been used.

I didn't realize until I saw it that it was the Italian made Beretta, so I was happy I got it for $450! Usually the Italian made ones seem to go for a bit more.

It came with 2 10rnd magazines (Massachusetts) the manual, the paperwork, cleaning stuff and the original plastic case. He also have me 100rnds of 9mm which was nice, because it's sold out everywhere I go right now.

I shot it yesterday, only about 20 rounds from about 15 feet but nailed the target dead on after a few initial shots in the bottom corner. I cleaned it before I shot it (not dirty at all) and will clean it tonight. Taking it apart is a cinch, and I like it!

I asked this question elsewhere, but is anyone able to push the magazine release without moving their hand? I find it hard to do, and I'm not sure if that's normal.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:06 AM   #33
hardworker

My hand is big enough that I can hit the mag release with my middle finger while keeping my trigger finger on the trigger guard. Have you tried that?
Old February 20, 2013, 11:14 AM   #34
MercyfulFate

Is your mag release on the right side then, or do you mean with your off hand? I've thought about swapping it to the right side, but then I still need to move the gun because of the opposite problem, it's too close to my hand.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 20, 2013, 10:08 PM   #35
Pilot

Get the oversized mag release. It is easily installed. Beretta USA as well as Brownells sells them. The Elite II version is fine, but there is an even larger "combat" style.