The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 2, 2013, 09:32 AM   #1
west5757

Savage Model 11 Lightweight Hunter or CZ 527 Carbine?

I am in the market for a good truck/walking gun. I have read all the reviews possible for both of these guns and was wanting to see what you all would chose. I like the weights of these guns and the apparent accuracy of both. I really like the idea of open sights on the CZ.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
chris in va

My CZ carbine in x39 was one of the best purchases I've made. Compact, accurate, handy and cheap to shoot. It now has a spiffy 4x32 scope that fits it's personality.

Couple of caveats. As with most CZ products it needs time to wear in the action. It can be a bit balky out of the box. Also understand the scope rail is a proprietary 16mm, and factory (or Leupold) rings are about $55.

Wolf primers are quite hard. If you plan to use it in the CZ just know it may take two hits to set them off. CZ sent me a new firing pin spring but it's just not strong enough. I reload and the CCI or Federal primers always go off.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
west5757

Chris,

I am looking at the .223 version. What scope and ring setup did you did you go with? Can you still use the open sights? Did you have to get a new bolt handle?

I have been looking around at different ring/scope combinations and I can't figure out what I want.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
chris in va

The bolt handle clears the 32 bell, barely. It's just an el cheapo with mil dots, seems fine so far. That Nikon 223 was my first choice but $150 was out of my price range for a range plinker.

I have the medium CZ rings. You can't use the iron sights with them.

Please let me state this again, there are only three rings available for the CZ carbine. Millett, Leupold and CZ. It's a 16mm dovetail. You can't just slap on a set from a gun store.

One more thing, IIRC the 223 carbine uses a 1/12" rate of twist. Not advisable to shoot bullets heavier than 63gr as they tend to destabilize. The other guys can comment further though.

Last edited by chris in va; January 2, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:06 PM   #5
FALPhil

I have a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar. I used the tall Burris 16mm dovetail rings with a new old stock US-made Redfield Golden 5 Star 4-12x with the tombstone reticle. The bolt handle just barely clears.

This rifle shoots like a house on fire. It loves 55 grain Blitzkings. I love Savage rifles, but this little mini-Mauser is in a class by itself.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
reynolds357

Up to your personal preference. Both are excellent for what they are.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:25 PM   #7
armoredman

VERY happy with my 527M carbine in 7.62x39mm. Incredible light rifle. The iron sights aren't adjustable, rugged as all get out, but non adjustable, so I found a fantastic local gunsmith who made one for me.

There IS an alternative to the proprietary rings, just most people don't know about it.

Look carefully - there is a Picatinny rail attachment on the rifle, sold by CZ-USA. Mount whatever you want.

Mine is off getting a truly custom stock put on it, one of a kind. It really IS everything everyone says it is.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:32 PM   #8
mike7.62

Talley rings fit my CZ527 and work great.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:04 AM   #9
west5757

Armoredman...I saw that rail on the website when I was looking at the gun. I am starting to lean that way. The main reason is eye relief. With a rail like that I could mount the scope exactly where I wanted it.

Mike...Do those rings set the scope up too high to get a good cheek weld. Originally I was looking for rings that would allow me to use the open sights also but it doesn't look like there is any option for that and those do cause me to take my cheek off the rifle to use the scope.

I guess I really want the best of both worlds here. I want to be able to use the open sights and I want a good cheek weld on the scope. I am glad that I started looking for a scope set up before I have the gun.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:07 AM   #10
stubbicatt

FWIW, if one is willing to spend an extra $20 to get the bolt handle recontoured, one can use the medium or low rings with a 40mm objective. The high rings are used by those who will not recontour their bolt handles, so that the bolt will clear the ocular lens bell.

Again, FWIW.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:06 AM   #11
west5757

stubbicatt,

I am looking at a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 for this gun. I had thought that I would find a mount that would allow me to use the open sights also but I now see that that isn't an option.

I haven't done the math yet to determine the rings that I need but would like to keep the scope as low as I can.