The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Maxamillion_16

Remington 870

Hey guys, i am looking in to a pump shotgun I have narrowed it down to the Remington 870. I am either going to get a new 870 express in 20 gauge, or look for a used wing master ,also in twenty gauge. Anybody know anything about either of these shotguns? suggestions? Thanks, Max
Old July 25, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
zippy13

IMHO, go with the Wingmaster.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The Wingmaster is Remington's top of the line, deluxe sporting shotgun.
It has a polished blue job, American walnut wood with the famed Remington "Bowling pin" finish in gloss or satin finish, a chrome plated bolt, a more polished bore, and better checkering.

The Express is Remington's budget model.
It has a bead blasted flat black blue finish, hardwood stocks with a varnish type finish, a lesser polished bore, and lesser quality pressed-in checkering.
Also, the Express has a rougher finish under the bluing with more machine marks and some burrs left, inside and out.

The Wingmaster is the Cadillac, the Express is the cheap Chevy.
Old July 25, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
the Express is the cheap Chevy.
Perhaps you're not old enough to remember the Yugo.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a 20 gauge Express here. Favorite quail gun, Only a couple thousand rounds through it so far, no probs.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Water-Man

What is your intended purpose for this shotgun?
Old July 26, 2012, 10:29 AM   #7
jmr40

Nothing wrong with the Express. They work and function just as well as the Wingmaster. They sell for $300 because of cheaper stocks and finish. I'f I'm paying $700 for a Wingmaster I'll put a little more with it and buy a top end semi-auto.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
BigJimP

A good pump gun ...is a good long term choice, in my opinion, and no matter where you go with this hobby, of shotguns, you'll probably always want a good reliable pump gun maybe in both a 12ga and a 20ga around.

Personally, I like the Browning BPS Hunter model a lot more than the 870 Express ...or even the Wingmaster / but in my mind the Wingmaster and the BPS Hunter model are on the same level in terms of quality - but nothing wrong with the 870 express model either...

Even the best pump guns ....if you put 500,000 shells thru them will exhibit some wear on internal components .....but to most of us, at least in a pump gun, that's a lot of shooting. Most of us turned away from pump guns - in favor of O/U's for competition or clays shooting ...but when I was younger, I shot my BPS Hunter model with a 28" barrel for a long time at Trap / even doubles - and a lot of live birds. I still have the BPS's I bought in the late 70's ...still solid guns ( in 12ga and 20ga)...and they've survived a couple of boys - and a lot of grandkids since - and many shooters will tell you the same story about their 870 Wingmasters or model 12 Winchesters.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Pahoo

All depends ??

The new generation of the 870 Express, frankly are not worth my time and money as I "personally" have had to many issues, on multiple guns. I do have an older Express that is now my work-horse and has given me excellent performance. .....
If you buy a new one, be aware of historical problems and there are more than one.

If you can swing a used Wingmaster than that is definitely is the way to go. If I may, you might also look at a Browning BPS. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 26, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
AllenJ

Quote:
If you can swing a used Wingmaster than that is definitely is the way to go.
+1 for Pahoo's suggestion. You won't regret it, they are much nicer than the Express guns.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:14 PM   #11
BoogieMan

I have herd many mixed reviews locally about the express models. I have owned a 20ga wingmaster youth since I was 12. Never an issue and I beat the hell out of it. My son used it until last week when I bought him a Fusion Gold. He wanted SA not pump.
If you want a pump you cant go wrong with a wingmaster. I would also consider BPS.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 26, 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Maxamillion_16

I would be using it for squirrels, pheasant, and i will eventually put a slug barrel on it for deer. thanks for the reply's!
Old July 26, 2012, 11:47 PM   #13
steidle2131

The wingmasters are very nice. However I have had an express 12 ga since I was a boy. For 8 years even as an adult it was my only gun with god only knows how many rounds through it. Never a problem. However the matte blue finish is rust prone, if I don't keep it oiled it will be brown when I pull it out of the closet.
Old July 26, 2012, 11:55 PM   #14
Water-Man

Max,

For your purposes I'd look for a used Wingmaster.
Old July 27, 2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Maxamillion_16

Thanks for the replys guys! i am going to be looking for a used wingmaster this week, if i cant find one i will get the express on sale at dicks in two weeks!
Old July 28, 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Maxamillion_16

New Shotgun

Hey guys, i ended up going with a used 870 express, it is a 20 guage and says magnum on the side, so i know it is old. its in great condition and it came with a cantiliver slug barrel, i will have to purchase a vented ribbed barrel.