The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 19, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
pturner67

FireClean

I was at the range this past weekend and the rep cleaned my AR with FireClean. He even wiped down the barrel with the stuff and dared me to try and make the barrel smoke. A few hundred rounds later and the barrel was scorching hot but no smoke. Pretty impressive (I think). But I'm more concerned with lube qualities.

Has anyone used this stuff? Thoughts? Concerns?

http://www.cleanergun.com/Home.html

edit: I am in no way associated with this product. I work in the information technology industry.
Old February 23, 2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

don't call it a necrothread

I have recently purchased a two pack of Fireclean. I have treated my 23E and my SCAR with it. I have not had a chance to fire either of these guns after application of fireclean.

I know there are some other TFL users who have been using this product. It has gained quite a reputaion for making guns quicker to clean as carbon does not stick to the metal as well. (or so says the hype) My question as was the question of the OP, how does this stuff work as a lubricant? I haven't met a clean/lube/protect product that really can do all three or even two of those three very well.

So Fireclean users, how does it work as a lube??? Do you use another product to lube or Fireclean and nothing else?

-----------

Mods, I know it is a TFL unwritten rule to lock threads brought back from the dead but I am asking the exact same question that pturner67 asked and he even used the thread name I would have. Could you give this one a chance, if just for a few days?
Old February 25, 2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Here is what I am going to do. I am treating my Uzi SBR and my Sig P226 with Fireclean. Both the Sig and the Uzi are incredibly reliable guns. I don't think this will be a fair assessment of the lubricating properties of Fireclean. Rather a test of how well they clean up afterward. Both the Sig and the Uzi will be wearing silencers so they will get dirtier faster.

As soon as possible I will take both of them and my 23E out and shoot a few hundred rounds through each gun.

The 23E is not completely broken in yet and is still quite a picky eater. The 23E will be the real test of Fireclean as a lube.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:15 PM   #4
wogpotter

bad link!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 25, 2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Better link: http://www.cleanergun.com/

As for the necrothread issue, it looks like you're about to add some useful info here, so I'm not worried about it. Heck, I'm posting because I'd like to see the results of your testing, Willie.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:38 AM   #6
wogpotter

Does it remove metal fouling? it goes on about carbon, but doesn't mention metal.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 26, 2014, 08:43 AM   #7
TheGunGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogpotter View Post
Does it remove metal fouling? it goes on about carbon, but doesn't mention metal.

I don't think it actually removes metal fouling. However, once removed and treated with Fire Clean the fouling does not stick as much or is significantly easier to remove in subsequent cleanings.
Old March 10, 2014, 08:36 PM   #8
newmexicocrawler

I just ordered some, I'll try it out. I put a couple hundred rounds down range every week so I'll know fairly soon if it works or is snake oil
Old March 11, 2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

I am impressed.

Just got back from shooting 9mms. Stripped my P226 and pretty much wiped it clean with a dry rag and a few dry q-tips. There are a few little spots that will require more attention. More impressive than the Sig was the piston from my Trident9. The back half of it wiped clean with the rag. There were some thicker carbon deposits that I was able to scrub off after a few minutes with the rag. There is still 1/4 of the piston that needs scrubbed. I am amazed by this because I usually have to clean that thing with a wire wheel in my dremel.

Fireclean works as advertised on carbon.
Old March 11, 2014, 07:25 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Any chance we can get some before and after pics? Pretty please?
Old March 11, 2014, 08:29 PM   #11
Willie Lowman

Sorry didn't think about it.

I'll get pics from the next go-round.
Old March 12, 2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

I would really appreciate that, Willie. I've been shopping around for better cleaning supplies & lubes, and I'd be interested in seeing what FireClean can do. All of the other reviews that I've read have been a couple of years old.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:56 PM   #13
MC 1911

I've been using it for several years on all my handguns and rifles. It does make cleanup easier and it is an excellent lube. It does cost a little more but it doesn't take much to do the job.
Old April 19, 2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Willie Lowman

I shot 80 rounds of PMC through my Colt AR15A2 with the suppressor mounted.
I used fireclean to lube the bolt/carrier
This is what the bolt looked like after shooting

I didn't use any solvent. I just wiped it with a cotton rag.

I am not going to say that it is spotless or that it would't be cleaner if I had used solvent. I will say that in less than ten minutes I wiped that BCG clean with just a dry rag. I like that.
Old April 19, 2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Sharkbite

Does anyone think this would help with the leading issues on 22lr suppressors?
Old April 19, 2014, 08:41 PM   #16
Willie Lowman

One way to find out.

When I put it in the piston of my Trident9 it put out a horrible cloud of stinking smoke on the first two shots. After that it was fine. I am going to put some on the baffles of my Spectre after I clean it just to see.