The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 24, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
ftballgod

can i have a vertical grip on my ar15 with a 12in barrel?

i am putting a new upper on my ar15 and want to go with a shorter barrel. but if i do can i still put on the vertical grip?

i currently have the stock gov barrel on it.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2
BlackJackID

If you put a 12 inch barrel on it, it becomes a short barrelled rifle and will be an NFA item. you will have to register it with the ATF.If you don't, its prison time. If you need more info than that you should post in the NFA forum.

If it does get registered as an SBR, then yes you can put a forward grip on it.

If it is an were an AR Pistol, it could not have a forward grip attached without an NFA registration either.

Hope that helps a little. Again better info from the guys on NFA forrum
Old November 24, 2011, 12:13 AM   #3
bedlamite

BATFE doesn't care about pistol grips on a rifle, but you better have a tax stamp if the barrel is less than 16 inches.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:14 AM   #4
rjrivero

If you put a 12" barrel on your rifle, you have a "Short Barrel Rifle" or SBR. It is required that you register the rifle with the National Firearms Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

You need to fill out a Form 5320.1 (Form 1) in duplicate, and send the two copies, with all supporting documents to the ATF-NFA Branch.

Then you have to wait for them to return the 5320.1 with a cancelled Tax Stamp on it BEFORE you can put a barrel shorter than 16" on any rifle. (Turn around time is about 4-5 months.)

After you've done that, you're free to put ANY foregrip you want to on your SBR.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:17 AM   #5
5RWill

Everyone already stated the SBR situation.

Yes you'll be able to put a vertical grip on it. If you have rails or guards with rail adapters you can put a vertical forgrip on any AR.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:26 AM   #6
ftballgod

thanks guys. sounds like a lot of work. i will just stick with a notmal barrel length.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:31 AM   #7
rjrivero

We don't tell you this to dissuade you. Just to keep you out of Club Fed.

SBR's are FUN!

Old November 24, 2011, 12:46 AM   #8
5RWill

Quote:
We don't tell you this to dissuade you. Just to keep you out of Club Fed.

SBR's are FUN!
+1 to that. I have loved SBRs since the moment i saw one. It was preferably the 12.5" that Christ Costa was using in his Magpul video or the 11.5 KAC. Either way SBRs are down right sexy aesthetically speaking. And IMO great for self defense in tight situations. Pair a suppressor with a SBR and you've almost reached a overall length of a non NFA weapon in some cases. So yeah they're awesome . Can't wait till this january. I turn 21 it's off to fill out form 4 etc. for SBRs and Suppressors. I think suppressors come first under my circumstances but after that i'll be piecing together a 10.5/11.5 upper depending on which i decide on. Here's an awesome video i saw on the hide of someone hitting steel at 600m with they're 10.5.
Note:this is not mine, just to clarify that i'm not taking credit for someone else's weapon or shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQoO...layer_embedded
@ 773yds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcSSw...layer_embedded

Here is his rifle tell me that is not just beautiful in it's own right.
Old November 24, 2011, 01:58 PM   #9
jukk0u

Nice pic of that SBR but..

I'd lose the bipod. Seems at odds with the function of a compact weapon.
Old November 24, 2011, 02:20 PM   #10
MTT TL

Quote:
I'd lose the bipod. Seems at odds with the function of a compact weapon.
Bipod and magnified scope too. Must be one of those "Sniper pistols" I keep hearing about. Is it at least offset? I can't tell from the pics.

I don't like short barreled .223s myself. Too much powder outside the barrel.
Old November 24, 2011, 02:23 PM   #11
5RWill

As i said it's not mine... but i'm sure he has many configurations. He's hitting steel out to 600-700m which is pretty good for a SBR.

Not my idea of a SBR but it's still beautiful non the less. You don't come by SR-15 lowers that often, finish is nice also.

Tags
ar15 , awo , nfw , sbr