The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2011, 10:43 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Does anyone notice that the pinky of their stong hand is stronger than other pinky?

I am right handed. I thought all the fingers on my right hand were stronger than all their counterparts on the left hand.

I've been using Gripmasters to add the requisite 15 pounds of muscle mass to my trigger finger in order to be able to squeeze the hellacious Glock trigger “slowly and smooooooothly….”

I noticed that my right pinky finger is weaker than my left pinky finger.

I wonder if this is a result of shooting and my other three fingers being so strong that my right pinky never got exercised.

I just started using the Gripmasters – before I mostly used Captains of Crush grippers…

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gripmaster-9lbs.jpg (22.0 KB, 3514 views)
Old September 2, 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
markj

Well not mine, it was broke years ago and that bone inside the hand didnt heal right so I have a 3 finger grip there. Left pinky was cut almost off by a piece of glass it is dead on top no feeling. Middle finger right hand was tore off in a diesle engine accident and re attached but it isnt very strong now.

Would take 4 pages to list all of my injuries and broke bones, stiches, etc. I am wearing out this body so when I die there is no use at all left in it seems to be working
Old September 6, 2011, 12:51 AM   #3
deguello

Do you play guitar? I would expect a guitar player's fretting hand pinky to be stronger. It could also be that both your pinkys are about the same strength but you think your right one is weaker because your other right hand fingers are much stronger by comparison.
Old September 6, 2011, 06:18 AM   #4
C0untZer0

The left is definately stronger than the right, in objective terms, able to push down the springs of the Gripmaster a greater number of times.

I've done wrist and forearm strengthening exercises to improve my shooting for a long time, but never isolated specific fingers until recently.

It may have been that the exercises that I've been doing, led to stronger index and middle fingers on my right hand which led to a weaker pinky finger on that same hand.

I don't know... or it may be that shooters develop stronger trigger fingers which lead to weaker pinky fingers on that same hand.
Old September 6, 2011, 06:35 AM   #5
ClayInTx

Would typing have an effect?

The left pinky must type the letters Q, A, & Z.

The right pinky types P and some little used characters (compared to letters).

Well, that’s for touch-typists.

For me, my right index finger is stronger because it types A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, and all punctuation.

Damn! I always did wonder why my trigger finger was so strong.
Old September 6, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
output

Never noticed. I use a regular no name grip strengthener. How do you like the Grip Master? Sorry to go off topic.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:58 PM   #7
mdd

Left pinky has a titanium reinforcing plate with some screws holding stuff together. It works just fine but I don't fret about it if its not quite as strong as its counterpart.
Old September 7, 2011, 12:14 PM   #8
bikerbill

Output ... been using a Gripmaster for years, and my shooting has improved greatly ... the strength it creates in your wrist and hand -- and forearm --- allows a firmer grip, less shake, and I'm way quicker to get back on target ... I love mine, it even gets to go on vacation with me .. and my Kahr PM9 ...

As for the pinkie thing ... not sure I care much ...
Old September 7, 2011, 12:22 PM   #9
C0untZer0

I used all sorts of other stuff to improve grip but I just started using the Gripmaster recently and it's highlighted some weaknesses - like my right pinky. I think probably I'd reached the limit where some of these other things like Captains of Crush were going to improve strength in all my fingers because apparantly those exercises don't isolate the pinkies.

My trigger finger and middle finger were getting stronger but I think the downside to that was that my ring fingers and pinkies were doing less and less work.

The Gripmaster will isolate the muscles on each finger and strengthen the weak ones.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:33 PM   #10
tmlynch

Quote:
Well not mine, it was broke years ago and that bone inside the hand didnt heal right so I have a 3 finger grip there. Left pinky was cut almost off by a piece of glass it is dead on top no feeling. Middle finger right hand was tore off in a diesle engine accident and re attached but it isnt very strong now.

Would take 4 pages to list all of my injuries and broke bones, stiches, etc. I am wearing out this body so when I die there is no use at all left in it seems to be working
I suddenly feel better. I have a visible scar on every finger, but there is no way I come close to your achievements. My best effort was a hedge clipper accident that turned me from a violin player into a viola player. The rest have been window dressing by comparison.

Regards,
Tom
Old September 7, 2011, 09:46 PM   #11
ClayInTx

tmlynch,

Now I recall where I saw you. It was on Austin City Limits and you were playing the fiddle off-key.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:56 PM   #12
tmlynch

Quote:
Now I recall where I saw you. It was on Austin City Limits and you were playing the fiddle off-key.
Shhhh! I try to stay incognito.

Tom
Old September 7, 2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Catfishman

Pretty unusual that your weak hand pinky is stronger that your strong hand pinky.

I don't have a hand strengthening device, but I can tell that my right hand and every finger on it, is significantly stronger than my left.

Not only is my right hand stonger, but it is also thicker, wider and a little bit longer than my left. I think this is pretty normal.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:06 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

It's an interesting observation. One I can't argue against, or in support of.

I try to avoid the term "strong side", when referring to right or left. ...Because I refer to my arms with the terms "strong side" and "fine side", the "fine side" being dominant.

I'm right handed, but my left arm is stronger in every way. The right hand gets used for fine detail work, and while the left side does the heavy lifting.

But, my left pinky (my strong side) is weaker than my right pinky (the weak side).

We all have our abnormalities...
Old October 11, 2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Dr_2_B

My weak side pinky is actually stronger - I'm a guitar player. Off hand also has a little better dexterity... I can actually move the ring finger without moving the pinky. Try it.
Old October 12, 2011, 03:34 AM   #16
MLeake

I don't notice much - if any - difference in hand strength, or relative finger strength (right to left). Not sure if that's just the norm, or if it's due to a fairly regular practice of hitting the gym and the dojo over the years. Most of my workouts that involve grip, involve symmetric grip.

Hammer curls, pull-ups, farmer's carries, etc all use both hands.

Similarly, in the dojo, we alternate sides when training different techniques. I'm as comfortable taking somebody down with my left (non-dominant) hand as with my right.

Canoes and kayaks also work both hands' grip strength.

The only real areas where I notice a major difference are writing (I can't write with my left worth a darn), throwing (not great with my right, but horrible with my left), and, to a lesser extent, shooting (I'm very accurate, but not as fast, with my left).

But I don't notice any difference in hand or finger strength.
Old October 12, 2011, 09:44 AM   #17
C0untZer0

Since I started this post I have been working on strengthening my right pinky finger with extra exercises.

But the other thing I noticed is that on a stock Glock trigger, when I pull the trigger right handed, I cannot get good follow-through with dry firing The front sight jolts a little to the right. When I do this left handed - the front sight doesn't move.

It must be something I am doing with my right hand, something I can't do with my left hand...
Old October 12, 2011, 10:11 AM   #18
gdvan01

Quote:
For me, my right index finger is stronger because it types A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, and all punctuation.
Now THAT'S funny....

My pinkys are of equal strength due to the proper holding of the tea cup. I switch between hands (ok, no wise cracks...) with each cup-o-tea to maintain balance.

Ok, that's complete BS.....Hahahahahahahaa!

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old October 12, 2011, 03:14 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

One can diagnosis this problem by checking if your left nostril is bigger than your right nostril. Quick check of pinky muscle mass.

Sorry, couldn't resist after following this thread.
Old October 12, 2011, 04:06 PM   #20
serf 'rett

Glenn: Does one go by width of nostril stretch or depth of insertion? If the finger goes way up, do we need more muscle mass or a nose job? Dagnabbitt, this shootin stuff has some really strange nuances.

Where does one get a Grip Master? I may need to upgrade from my sponge rubber stress ball !
Old October 13, 2011, 08:58 PM   #21
Dwight55

My left had is very useful, . . . but my right hand and arm have always been the "workhorse" of the two.

To that end, I noticed many years ago that it was much stronger.

Also, . . . a tape measure around my left wrist comes out to 6 3/4 inches, whereas on the right wrist, . . . it is 7 1/8 inches.

I always figured it was because I did most of the work right handed, ........

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 14, 2011, 08:25 AM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

I have never noticed. Though I shoot lefty, my right hand is my dominat hand. I play guitar, and my left pinky finger is pretty darn strong, also a lot more limber. I can trill with my left pinky.

As far as how that correlates to my shooting I am not sure. I am left eye dominant nd have been shoooting left handed from the first shot I ever fired when I was 4.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:23 AM   #23
C0untZer0

Well, I've been working on strengthening it because I want a stronger grip and I want to be able to keep the sights on target better.

I was surprised that my right pinky was weaker then my left, I think it's because my right index and middle fingers are so strong that the pinky finger on that hand doesn't do any work.

You can get Gripmasters at most sporting goods stores - but they're cheaper on line. Plus most sporting goods stores usually only have medium tension Gripmasters. I've been using them now for 6 weeks, my fingers are stronger and I'm ready to go to the heaviest set they have - the 11lb springs.