The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1
ah141nj

Wilson Trimmer help

Hello All,

I need some pointers on using the Wilson trimmer. Every time I trim, I cannot get consistant lengths. Actually they are always too short. My 223 brass ends up being 1.740 - 1.748.
I have adjusted the threaded stop endlessly. Always have used the shark fin attachment.

1 or 2 light turns, not short enough, too many turns too short.

Any advice or tips. Tired of ruining brass
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old October 16, 2010, 11:23 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

Something is not set up right. You should turn several times until it quits cutting. Once the cutter bottoms out it cannot go inward any more and that is the limit.

For the first time, start with no case in the trimmer. Press the cutter all the way in and use a dial caliper to measure the distance from cutter face to the screw head. This is a rough approximation so leave it .005" - .010" longer than your desired trim length. Trim a case to this length. Then very gradually screw, cut, measure until it gets down to the proper length. When used properly you should get no more than .001" variance.

One thing that causes problems is if you try to ram the cutter in too fast it will cut a notch in the case neck and kind of jam. Just turn the cutter knob fairly fast and ease it into the case neck. Allow the cutter to slice very thin shavings. It should not be jerky or hard to cut. Keep pressing until the knob nut bottoms out against the trimmer frame.

The other variable (as far as case turning in holder and thus not actually being cut) is to make sure the case is seated fully into the case holder. A light rap of the case head on a block of wood will seat it firmly in the holder. After trimming then rap the case neck lightly on the block of wood to knock it out of the case holder.

Basically, the distance between the bottomed out cutter and the screw head is very firmly held constant, and will not change unless you purposely screw it in or out.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 17, 2010, 01:49 AM   #3
CK_32

Yea Im thinking your not setting it right.. Get a trimmed case thats at perfect length and lock it in.. Then puch the trimmer against the neck of the perfect trimmed case..

Then lock the adjustment in and you should be good to go.. If you wanna be safe back it out a half turn or 1/4 turn and trim the next case and measure it and see what you get...

Make sure your adjustment screw is locked tight..

Link
Old October 17, 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

I agree with NWPilgrim. If you are getting varying lengths from "a few" or "too many" turns, then you have the trimmer set too short, but you are stopping too early sometimes.

Follow NWPilgrim's setup advice, but make sure at each try, you spin the cutter until the handle is bottomed against the end of the frame AND it no longer cuts the brass (spins freely). That is the set trim length; if the case is too long or short, then adjust the stop.

Andy
Old October 17, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
old_folks

I agree with NWPilgram. Something is not set up right. I have a couple of case trimmers, one of which is a L. El Wilson trimmer. I have ended up using the Wilson case trimmer exclusively for over 40 yrs and have never had a problem and all cases are trimmed to the same length. Poster makes no mention of tightening the set screw on the threaded base once the correct trim length is determined.
Sounds like the cutter is taking too much bite into the case mouth, causing the case to turn against the base and if the threaded base is not secured by tightening the screw, can cause the trim length to vary. However, if the case is properly secured in the holder, the case should not turn.
Just my thoughts.
Old October 18, 2010, 07:49 AM   #6
B78-22250

trimmer

It is very important to use the same amount of force when tapping case into holder. You can cause the case to stretch if you tap it in to the holder too hard. Try to get a feel for it and see if this makes a difference.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:28 AM   #7
ah141nj

thanks for the tips guys.

i'll give em all a try & practice with it.
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997