The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Sheriff Gotcha

IAC 981R 12 Gauge

Does anyone have any information on this particular manufacturer and/or model?

Online I found one for $189.00 and was curious about this gun. Would you avoid this? Or is it just a good deal? This would be my first shotgun by the way.

Here's the link:http://www.tzarmory.com/index.php/ia...otgun-122.html
Old August 22, 2012, 06:50 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

It is a Chinese made clone of a Remington 870. IAC is the importer. Persons with one seem pleased, unless they wish to get another barrel. Remington 870 barrels will not fit it and no one makes an adapter for them, but one can easily be made from a piece of pipe or even PVC pipe. If you do have warranty issues, that may or may not be a problem. The most frequent problem I have heard of with them is the that the sights come lose (front or rear) and to loc-tite the screws in. Personally, if you don't want to lay out the money for a new 870, I would go with a Mossberg 500, its little brother, the Maverick 88, or a used Remington 870.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Sheriff Gotcha

I was planning on getting an 870 to begin with but as I was browsing websites I saw thIs offer and figured that 150 bucks off sounded like a steal. I will probably want to swap mag tubes out though so if that's easier achieved with a larger initial investment then I have no issues with that.

It was all just curiosity really.
Old August 23, 2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Third World gun makers open and shut like clams with the tides. Product support may be non existent next decade,month or week.

OTOH, Remington and Mossberg aren't going anywhere. A used example of each will have PS for decades, scads of aftermarket stuff and superior longevity.

Buy American....
Old August 23, 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Unfortunately, China doesn't quite fall into the 3rd world category anymore, but as far as dealing with the importers forget it. I am soo glad that when I was buying my first I passed on the Norinco Hawk and got the real 870.
Old August 23, 2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

My contention is don't be cheap, support American industry and jobs, you'll be happier in the long run. Too much of our industry has gone overseas already. GW
Old August 24, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Sheriff Gotcha

I didn't even know they were foreign made. I'll probably end up with the Remington, but when I saw this for almost half I had to ask.

Thanks for the info guys. Can always count on the members here at TFL.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Bill from Boomhower,

There's not a thing in the world wrong with these guns. The worst I've read in all the forums is that the rear appeture sight tends to loosen, backing out the mounting screws, and falling off from, the recoil of the gun. Google this model, and many similar pump guns in the same price range in all the forums like this one that you can find. Some guys are shocked, mad, and all bent out of shape cause the finish or wood to metal (composite to metal) fit isn't as good as their 439 dollar shotgun has, or the barrel of an 870 Rem won't fit, even though most everything else will. Seriously, I've been researching these for a couple of months, and that's the worstt I can find wrong about them. Just use a couple drops of Loc_ Tite on the rear sight and do n't look back. Oh, you'll see posts where the vguy complains of. A failure to cycle ammo thru the gun smoothly, both feed and/or ejectiion, but the reason is that these guns just need breaking in. If you experience this with your weapon, yuo can buff and polish metal to metal contact points inthe action with emory cloth, maybe some jewler's roushe, or Lapping compound, and snap-caps to dry fire several thousand times while watching TV and before you even get that far............I'll bet you wouldn't trade that gun. The reason as I mentioned that you could google and compare the similarly priced guns from China, and they would run so close together in the race, is that they're all made by Norinco, some will have slightly different designs and make/model numbers, but they're all made at the same place in China by the same company. Since they are clones of established popular and proven gun designs, there is no square footage, research and develpement equiptment, or R&D employees to have to deal with, cutting costs. That's why they're inexpensive, that's why they're a little rough cycling sometimes, which means only that the more you run it the smoother it'll become. I can not offer up why the rear sight loosens unless Loc-tited, but if that's the worst you gotta worry about, and for the current price, (I see these being two to three times higher some day, look at all other popular weapons over time) you'll be wishing you'd bought several. My wife just bought one for me last Saturday from Accademy. It's a Stevens 350 pump 12ga home defense with 18" bbl, 5 plus 1 capacity, composite stock and fore end, with (yes) the military apperture sights with a Tritium light gathering green insert in the front sight. Yeah, I'll probably have to loc-tite the rear one like everyone else, so what? I've heard others say that the sights are around a hundred and fifteen dollars, which is more than half what the gun sells for. It has a dull black protective finish, sling swivel studs, a 3/4" thick black recoil pad on one end, and an improved cylinder choke on the other. Oh yeah..........this particular clone is of the excellent old Ithica model 37 trench gun which scared the Hell out of the Germans in Europe, and served riding shotgun as the choice of many urban Police departments over the years. Here'san interesting point about this gun. It feeds and ejects both, out the bottom of the reciever. This means this gun works equally well for left or right handed shooters. Also, there's one less opening to catch dirt etc in while using it, leaving both sides of the slab reciever a solid clean slab. You say whatever you decide on will be your first shotgun, right? Well, that's why I thought I'd break it down a little for you. Don't just take my word though. Keep searching all the shotgun / home defense shotgun type threads you can find before buying. Those little chinese clones are really very good in general, and you can get'em filthy and sc,ratched up without compromising an 870 WingMaster bluing by pushingit down on a barbed wire fence to cross. Now that I have the Ithica clone, I'd like to get a Norinco 982 also, which is the 870 clone. Check 'em all out man. One of these may sftill not be for you, only you can determine that. But, there is nothing wrong with these weapons that a couple drops of Loc-Tite and a lot of ammo won't fix very well. My Stevens 350 actually comes with Savage/Stevens full one year warrenty. I like it a lot. Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide on.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:42 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Hmmmmm sounds like a great deal, buy the cheaper import gun and spend time fixing it so it can be shot.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:21 AM   #10
SoilworK777

I have an IAC Hawk 982 with ghost rings sights. It's been nothing but great. Compared to the Remington 870 Express models, I find it to be a cut above. Even the polymer stock and forearm are quality. If you buy one, replace the mag spring with a Wolff. I also advise replacing the follower. This will make your shotgun one tough customer.

A note; the H&R Pardner Protector has "Hawk Industries" stamped into the side of the receiver. REMINGTON ARMS imports these guns.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:30 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

Soilwork, Have you ever had to get warranty service on your IAC Hawk 982. My first post on this forum was spurred by the failure of the importer to return a call from a gun owner in need of warranty service.

Do you want to tell us about magazine extensions for the Hawk 982? What about accessory barrels?

I think they have value, but a buyer needs to know their shortcummings. Some think they can just accessize it with Remington parts and accessories.

Besides problems with the lack of accessories, I have heard that the most common problem is the sights losening and falling off; something readily fixed by replacing the screws and using locktite.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12
SoilworK777

As I said, I haven't had any issues with it. The OP is buying a first shotgun. I think it's a great choice. It holds 1 more round than the standard 870, because of the barrel lug position. Mag extensions for the standard 870 ALSO require modification to the factory setup. Accessory barrels...why not buy a Pardner Field for $200? Then he'll have replacement parts if needed, but more likely he'll have 2 shotguns to become proficient with.

I'm from San Diego originally. I moved to Atlanta when I was 21. OC...meh.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:43 AM   #13
TheKlawMan

Soilwork, While many 870 models require the dimples to be removed or pounded out in order to use a magazine extension, mine does not but it is a 7 shot security model. The last I knew there wasn't an extension made that would fit the Hawk, except by a guy called Max100 and he is not longer delivering them.

The guy is asking about an IAC import of a Hawk and your solution to the problem he is going to have if he wants another barrel is to pay $200 more for a Pardner with a field barrel. That sort of works, unless he then wants a turkey barrel with a cantilever scope or a rifled slug barrel or a barrel with rifle sights. One reason for getting the real 870 is new and used barrels to fit it are plentiful, as is other accessories.

Myself, I never spent much time in San Diego other than to take the kids to the Zoo, Seaworld, or a Chargers game. Not including time spent at MCRD San Diego.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:02 AM   #14
SoilworK777

You're probably right. If he desires all those accessories/options, he should get an 870.
Old July 17, 2013, 11:30 AM   #15
colts45s

Don't buy an express unless you are a yuppie or get it used

I know this is an old post, but I feel the need to chime in here. The Hawk 981r and 982 are superior in almost every way to a Remington 870 Express. This is a fact. It has a thicker stronger receiver, the stock is more solid, and holds an extra round in the tube out of the box. Also the only differences in parts is due to a different mag tube and barrel which if you really are that desperate to get an aftermarket barrel make you a sleeve and be done with it. I challenge anyone to show me a single 870 accessory that will not fit the "Knock off" that can't be easily dealt with. The idea is this kidos, Your 870 cost you at least 300 new. I can buy a better version for 200 that is made in China and imported by Remington, spend 40 on a small piece of metal pipe and a small bit of aluminum to make the 870 barrels work. So unless you just need to feel like a yuppie and buy name brand or get one used for a better price don't buy an express. Face it my walmart jeans do just as good of a job as $100 name brand jeans. Lastly anyone making the 'Support American Companies" argument, just stop. It's not personal, just business, and the moment the american made product is actually worth more ie has more value then I'd buy that item.
Old July 19, 2013, 02:17 PM   #16
SoilworK777

Which Hawk do you own?
Old July 19, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

For the same money, you can support an American company, Mossberg, by buying their Maverick
Old July 19, 2013, 06:29 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And if you have a problem with a mossberg product(never had a remington to deal with CS) their customer service is second to none, affordable or free and speedy... These things not going so smooth on a clone cut rate knock off now or in the future is even reason for me to spend a few bucks more for a M-500...

And I don't have to make adapters etc. to swap barrels and such...

Don't try to claim that remington or mossberg users are after the brand alone... I take offense to that and I wear my walmart Rustler jeans proudly everyday...

I am a redneck... but a smart one who knows there is often a bitter taste left in the mouth after a "sweet deal"...

Brent
Old July 19, 2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Br_Mark

Sounds to me that the 891 is a cost effective entry level tactical style shotgun. I've been looking to pick up one just for dinging around with no expectation to trick the weapon out other than adding a sling. If my pockets were somewhat deeper I would really like to have a Mossberg 590, but I really only want the shotgun for play time at the range and I can't see spending the extra $250 for the Mossberg.
Old July 20, 2013, 07:46 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
but I really only want the shotgun for play time at the range and I can't see spending the extra $250 for the Mossberg.
Until it breaks and costs you more than that to get it fixed..........
Old July 23, 2013, 11:40 AM   #21
SoilworK777

Quote:
Until it breaks and costs you more than that to get it fixed..........
Except that the 981 & 982 are $190 - $230 shotguns and can be replaced entirely at that price point. Winkywinkwinkwink.
Old July 23, 2013, 12:41 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A brand new Mossberg with wooden stocks is $247 all day every day at walmart...

That is not a real spendy figure considering all things...
American MADE...
Great Customer Service...
Accessories and great barrel selection abound...
Company still has family in it and they have never been bought up due to financial woes over the decades...

There will always be parts available for these guns and the international shakiness of importation of arms has always kept me from considering chi-com/3rd world offerings...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; July 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old July 23, 2013, 01:31 PM   #23
SoilworK777

^^^

How many of Norinco's / H&R's / IAC's pump shotguns have you handled/fired?

Last edited by SoilworK777; July 23, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old July 23, 2013, 01:44 PM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Only a few... I thought they were okay at the moment but just don't trust their overall QC from the git go... I do know what a mossberg looks like when built right for a good inspection of the one I am holding...

I also know I have never paid for a part from them as all were sent free of charge and I know I am far from the only guy to have this very same opinion of their QC and CS...

No need to save a pittance for a gun I count on to go bang everytime and I can get that from the venerable American Made Mossberg 500 and for a jump in price I would like to one day own a real Wingmaster... But I really want the Mossberg Semi auto for the low low price of $600 with real walnut stocks...

Sure I can get a clone semi for +/- $350 but why would I ever consider such a thing when I get the benefits I mentioned above at a price point far from Highfalutin... "Gentleman's Guns"...

Brent
Old July 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #25
SoilworK777

^^^

Point taken. Having never has a malfunction with my 982, I've never had to use IAC's customer service. It's very possible that Mossberg's CS would surpass many shotgun maker's out there. You go with what you know, where is where most of my "points" come from.

I've always wanted a 590/590A1, due to the 500 having the sealed mag tube. I never could get get past that.