The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
wey97

ar15 fixed stock to collapsible

I have an AR with a fixed stock and I want to convert it to a collapsible. Will the tube in the fixed stock work with the collapsible or will I need a new tube?
Old January 24, 2010, 10:12 PM   #2
hknut

You will need a new complete butt stock group. This includes butt stock, tube, lock plate, lock nut, and a buffer.

A word of caution when removing the screw for the butt stock. Keep tention on the butt stock into the reciever. There is a SMALL spring that goes into your butt stock that provides tension on your rear take down pin. Don't twist your butt stock. Remove the screw in the butt plate and slowly remove the butt stock so the spring won't go flying off!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old January 24, 2010, 11:42 PM   #3
wey97

Quote:
You will need a new complete butt stock group. This includes butt stock, tube, lock plate, lock nut, and a buffer.

A word of caution when removing the screw for the butt stock. Keep tention on the butt stock into the reciever. There is a SMALL spring that goes into your butt stock that provides tension on your rear take down pin. Don't twist your butt stock. Remove the screw in the butt plate and slowly remove the butt stock so the spring won't go flying off!
I thought I'd need a new one but I hoped maybe they made it reusable.

I'll go ahead and take the spring out just to be safe!
Old January 25, 2010, 11:07 AM   #4
hagar

I have a spring that hold the buffer in place that launched itself into orbit, every couple of weeks I see it for a brief moment circling my overhead chandelier, but so far have not been able to snag it with a net...

Ended up using a spring from a BIC pen, it works well so far!
Old January 25, 2010, 02:10 PM   #5
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hknut

Then when you get the butt stock off the buffer tube, and you go to back the buffer tube out of the lower receiver, be sure to keep a finger on the buffer retainer pin which is also spring loaded. You don't want to shoot that into orbit either.