The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Jim243

How crazy am I to load one 9mm for three different guns?

Just loaded some bulk RMR bullets (nice JHP) for a new CZ 75 P-01 I just bought, haven't shot yet. And took out my PX4 Storm (9mm) backup car gun to give it a once over and lube. Then it hit me, wouldn't it be nice, instead of loading 3 different rounds, one for each gun, if I could just load a couple of 1,000 rounds that could be used in all my 9mm pistols??

So instead of testing different loads in the same pistol, it would be testing different loads (or same load) in different pistols to find the most effective (notice I didn't say "Best") load for all three pistols.

If anyone has tried this before, I know it would be you guys that were nuts enough to try it.

So here's the question, am I wasting good electrons asking this question (it can't be done) or has anyone else tryed it and what were your results?

Thanks
Jim

Here is a list of the pistols:
CZ 75 P-01 compact 4 inch
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm full size 4 inch
Taurus PT-92 5 inch

As they say at the range - the range is open fire away.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:41 PM   #2
dawico

That is what we call factory ammo. OK, not really, but it is what ammo manufacturers must do. Find a load that cycles all actions, shoots well, and doesn't beat up weaker guns.

Besides match or hunting ammo, I load everything else in bulk. I find a load that works and go for it. I don't worry too much about utmost accuracy in handgun and rifle plinking ammo.

Just as soon as you find the best load for all your guns combined, you will get a new gun and ruin everything.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I agree. Those are service pistols and a factory equivalent load you can turn out in quantity will probably be adequate for most purposes.
I have loaded this and that, but whatever I am producing at the time is what any gun of the caliber gets.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Jim243

Quote:
Just as soon as you find the best load for all your guns combined, you will get a new gun and ruin everything.
I had to laugh when I read this, while I am not getting another for some time, I was looking at conversion barrels for my FNP-40 in 9mm, I already have the conversion barrel for 357 Sig for that pistol. (LOL)

You maybe right. (LOL)
Jim
Old October 22, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
medalguy

Sure, why not? You're not talking about shooting matches anyway. I have two Beretta 92 pistols, and four other 9mm pistols that I shoot less frequently than the Berettas. I found a good medium load and made about 6,000 rounds that function all guns very well. This is plinking and practice ammo that I shoot at a range of 25 feet or less. The utmost accuracy is not nearly as important at that range anyway.
Old October 22, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
P-990

Sure, why not? I've never kept multiple different 9mm loads on hand with a "best" for each pistol. Just something that functions reliably in all and make a ton of it. Right now I "only" have 2 9mms, a Glock 26 and a 17. My function check is to take a 33-rd magazine, fill it full of whatever new load I am trying, and fire it off out of the baby Glock. If it gets through this magazine/pistol combo without a hiccup, it'll be fine.

I'll go you one better: I don't even "tune" my short-range Service Rifle MATCH ammo in .223 for 200-300 yard shooting. All I do is use a 69gr Nosler, 24.5gr Varget powder and Remington 7 1/2 primers, seat them to 2.25" OAL and go to work. If this load won't shoot a perfect score at 300 yards, it's not the ammo's fault... (I've personally used this in 3 different barrels and I know other shooters who use variations of this load.)
Old October 22, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
mavracer

I have one 124gr load and one 147gr. For 5 different 9mms
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 23, 2011, 12:17 AM   #8
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
How crazy am I to load one 9mm for three different guns?

So here's the question, am I wasting good electrons asking this question (it can't be done) or has anyone else tried it and what were your results?
Do it all the time. Regardless of bullet type, I adjust the powder charge and OAL so it will feed/chamber in all the pistols/barrels I have.

I not only have to load for all of my pistols/barrels but often for my friends/relatives/neighbors who may join me to the range.

For this purpose, I reload a designated "general purpose" loads that's been range tested to reliably feed/chamber/cycle for all the pistols. Two such load have been Winchester 115 gr FMJ with 4.8 gr of W231/HP-38 at 1.125" OAL and 124 gr plated RN with 4.5 gr of W231/HP-38 at 1.135" OAL.
Old October 23, 2011, 01:26 AM   #9
Jim243

Quote:
Two such load have been Winchester 115 gr FMJ with 4.8 gr of W231/HP-38 at 1.125" OAL and 124 gr plated RN with 4.5 gr of W231/HP-38 at 1.135" OAL.
Thanks, I will have to try some of those, I do have a bunch of bullets to load, FMJ, HP, lead, XTPs. I was buying up all the 9s I could find after the Oboma scare, I do have a lot to load. (LOL)

Jim

PS:P-990, I have been hearing a lot of good results using, Varget for 223, will need to use up my H-335 first. Thanks

Thanks to all
Jim
Old October 23, 2011, 09:55 AM   #10
dunerjeff

I have several pistols/barrels each in 9,357Sig,40,and 45acp.When testing loads I load up enough to shoot out of all guns and note which ones it shot the best out of.I have some "general loads" that work in all,and several barrel specific loads that are for accuracy work.
Old October 23, 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
jmorris

Sure it can be done. I have one machine that has been set the exact same for years, a berrys 147 @ 1.160" with 3.1 of vvn310. It is my "minor" load for idpa/uspsa but also works perfect in my suppressed and full auto 9mm's. The only firearm is does not work in is the ported barrel of the MP5SD.

Unless you really enjoy changing settings and keeping records, I would think you were crazy to have a different load for every 9mm you own. Oh, I have 9mm "major" loads and such but a different one for each...no thanks.
Old October 23, 2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Deja vu

I do that but I am a revolver fan.

I have a lot of 357 magnum guns from a Derringer to a Coonan Classic to multiple revolvers to a pair of Marlin lever actions.

I am still looking for a "best" load for hunting with my Marlins.

They all get the same ammo.

The same goes for the 45/70. I load what works best in my Marlin then just use that load in my BFR. The BFR can take the pressure.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 23, 2011, 09:42 PM   #13
orionengnr

Yep, I load one .45acp load for 3", 4", 5" 1911s plus my 4" Kahr (and I shot it in my S&W M25 as well, 'til I sold it).
One 9mm load for 3" Kahr, and...oops, sold all the other 9s.
One load for all .357s.

Please note--these are all range loads--I do not carry hand loads.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:44 PM   #14
1SOW

bds:
Quote:
Do it all the time. Regardless of bullet type, I adjust the powder charge and OAL so it will feed/chamber in all the pistols/barrels I have.
Me too. Find your shortest chambered pistol to determine the oal for each different bullet weight and nose shape that will run in all the pistols. Find the "light-middle" range load that will run your most heavily sprung gun. Combine the two into one load that runs smoothly in all your pistols.

I'm shooting a Sig 239 and two full size CZ's with one "light" 9mm load now.
They all shoot accurately out to 25 yds with light recoil.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:53 PM   #15
CherokeeT

All my ammo is loaded to work in all my guns of that cartridge. Shoots better in some than others but it will work fine in all the guns.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:20 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

For my handgun ammo. I have as of yet to find a gun that did not shoot them well. I load .45 ACP LSWC (home cast), 9mm Luger plated 124 grain hp, and .41 Rem Mag LSWC (home cast), and JSP. I have fired all of my handloads in guns owned by friends, and family. All have shot them well.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:53 PM   #17
Mobuck

The only time I load different 9mm ammo is when I make up some conservative loads with a slightly shorter OAL for old Star and HiPower pistols I like to shoot but don't care to beat up with upper end loads and whose mags require the shorter length. Generally, my 9mm loads are at the top of the ladder just below what's considered +P and are suitable for the Ruger and S&W pistols in my stable.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:38 PM   #18
pgdion

In 9pm, I find a load I like and load the same for everything. My loads are broken down by type, not by the gun they're for. ie - a lighter 115gr for plinking, a hotter 115gr (warmer anyways) for more fun & punch, and a pretty warm 124gr FP for more punch yet. Those are my 3 favorites and they go equally into all of my guns.