The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2009, 07:37 AM   #1
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

125 or 158 gr in .38/.357 applications

I've been reloading almost exclusively with 158 gr lead bullets for the single reason that it should keep the flame cutting to a minimum. Is there any advantage to using 125 or 110 gr bullets with .38/.357 revolvers?

I am not worried or concerned about penetration, expansion or velocity, I'm just plinking. I also understand that every revolver may prefer a different bullet weight. I assume a shorter barrel will prefer a lighter bullet. But I've got 6 different .38 and or .38/.357 revolvers and I'm not interested in developing specific accuracy loads for all of them, except maybe my Speed Six and Security Six.

With this in mind, are their any other general differences? Recoil? Accuracy? Anything else?
Old March 21, 2009, 08:24 AM   #2
SL1

Usually, longer (and thus heavier) bullets are more accurate, particularly in revolvers, other things being equal (which they usually are NOT).

But, lighter bullets can give less recoil at a given velocity.

Lighter bullets in handguns will hit lower than heavy bullets, which can be a factor for guns with fixed sights.

If you are shooting max loads, lighte bullets are harder on revovler forcing cones because they hit the cone harder and there is more powder gas to heat the metal.

SL1
Old March 21, 2009, 08:44 AM   #3
kraigwy

If you are just talking about plinky, I'd say go with the 158 cast bullet. Its cheaper, and easier on the gun and shooter.

Having said that, there is no law that says one or the other. There are inbetween. For plinking you can beat the 148 WC. You can cast them or buy cast bullets. No reason to get silly with the powder charge.

I shoot a Smith Model 52 (semi auto) in CF bullseye matches, It required the full wad cutter seated flush, (no lead exposed). Other then that 99 % of my 38 & 357 shooting is with a 150 SWC (Lyman 358377).

I'll not address SD loads, you indicated strickly plinking. If thats the case, both in cost & accuracy you cant beat the 148 gn full WC, second being the lead 158 gn SWC.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 21, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4
45Marlin carbine

I load the cast 158gr SWC over BullsEye or Red Dot for 'target loads' for a 6" bbl S&W and a 4" GP Ruger. don't have a chrono but use data that states fps of thereabouts 900-1K. so far no jacketed slugs beat them for accuracy (groups) at 50'. leading is there but not bad enough to make cleaning a big chore after 50 shots. mostly at the cone and steel wool wrapped around a brush takes care of it.