The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2009, 12:20 PM   #1
NoleMan

Mossberg semi-auto bolt stopping half way

I'm pretty new to shotguns and was hoping someone out there might have some knowledge of this issue. When i slide the bolt back and it locks in the rearward position, with the gun unloaded, and press the bolt release button on the side of the gun the action releases part way forward. The elevator raises upward. And the bolt stops, half way. It appears as though the slide catches on the rear shell stop. I called Mossberg, and they said "the gun is designed to do that." My question is, why is the gun designed to do that? Bear in mind that if i push the bolt release button firmly, it releases all of the way forward. Why should it matter how much presssure i put on the bolt release button?

On a side note, with a shell in the chamber, the bolt always releases completely forward, regardless of how much pressure i put on the bolt release button.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:44 PM   #2
4thPointofContact

We could use a little more information, such as:
What model Mossberg?

If what Mossberg is saying is correct, I need to send mine back. When I press the release button on mine the bolt closes without any hesitation.

ETA: Just triple-checked with my 930 SPX:
Unloaded and bolt back, pressing the release sends the bolt flying home no matter how hard or softly I press the bolt release button. The shell lifter is also spring loaded so it can be pressed down out of the way of the bolt, so I'm not sure how it's going to do much catching unless there's a burr in it somewhere.

(The spring-loaded shell lifter also allows you to "ghost load" one extra shell in the 930 so you can have a 7+1+1 load of ammo if desired. )

Last edited by 4thPointofContact; March 13, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:52 PM   #3
NoleMan

Sorry about that! It's a model 930 26 inch ported barrel.