The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2008, 03:22 PM   #1
WSM MAGNUM

Recoil Pad Repair

The screws for the recoil pad on my Remington SP-10 are stripped out. They no longer have any wood to bite into. So I was thinking to glue in wood dowels to fill in the holes and then re-drill the holes again.
My main reason for posting this is, this is the second gun where the recoil pad screws stripped out on me. Is this a problem that most guns have when you try to remove the pads? I think the factory is drilling the holes in the wood a little too big.
What are your experiences with the pads on your guns?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 29, 2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Pahoo

This is the usual repair and woodworker's supply even make a taper tool and provides the plugs. The plugs are tapered like a pencil point. I have only seen this problem on older guns and seems to be mostly what they call dry rot in wood. However, I have seen some Remingtons that have a great stock finish but raw wood under the butt plate. I sometimes coat these butt ends with epoxy or a good spar varnish. Take care to mark and drill the new holes as your butt plate won't be veryy forgiving. I know some folks to put beeswax on the threads of the mounting screws and other put epoxy, I guess in part to seal this area as well. I use beeswax. Understand that I am not a gun smith but a tinkerer. I do build M/L,s and rework stocks. Good luck..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 29, 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Doyle

If you don't feel like drilling out and doweling, you can try the toothpick trick. Get a toothpick and cut the tips off about 1/2 inch from each end. Dip the pointy ends in wood glue and stick them into the screw holes (2 to the hole. Now, put a little wax on the screw and screw them into the holes almost as deep as they would go with the pad on. After letting it dry for about 2 days, gently remove the screws and try to screw on the recoil pad.