The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 10, 2007, 05:47 PM   #26
Spade Cooley

If you returned fire you would be doing the slime balls in that car a favor. I doubt that if the car took a couple of hits they would ever try this kind of a prank again.

I have no idea what the colored things on the end of guns mean. As far as I'm concerned, a gun is a gun. If someone shoots at me regardless of age, I'll shoot back. But I doubt I'll be trying to estimate anyones age if they are shooting.

If you hit the car it is not likely anyone inside will be hurt because pistols are not very good at penetrating cars. Most police departments discourage shooting at fleeing cars.

Getting on the ground is a good option.
Old July 11, 2007, 07:22 AM   #27
newarcher

Spade,

Do a little research on the effects of shooting a car with a gun of any sort. I wish I could find that video.

They shot a car with pistols and rifles and nothing stopped any of them.

The sheet metal on a car does little to slow down the bullet and in fact may cause the bullet to fragment and be more lethal.

But I do agree, I think I would have shot at the car. They are assaulting you and whatever happens is on them....of course, the media will display young Genarlo as a class A citizen and you as the devil. Yep, the devil went and pulled young Genarlo out of his kneeling stance at the foot of his bed where he was praying and gave him the gun and the bandana and made him shoot at innocent people....just so the devil (that'd be you) could shoot someone. Don't you know better?

New
Old July 11, 2007, 09:35 AM   #28
easyG

Quote:
The sheet metal on a car does little to slow down the bullet and in fact may cause the bullet to fragment and be more lethal.
If a bullet fragments BEFORE entering the human body, there is no way that it is going to become MORE lethal.
The round will lose alot of velocity and energy and penetrating ability when it hits something hard enough to cause fragmentation...that makes each of those fragments LESS lethal.
Old July 11, 2007, 11:39 AM   #29
newarcher

A moving target is less likely to be hit by a single projectile than it would multiple projectiles. The projectiles moving through the car after breaking apart would still be moving at such a clip that they could be lethal. Multiple, still lethal, projectiles has a greater chance at hitting someone and-- therefore being lethal--than does a single projectile.

I saw an episode of The First 48 where a bullet impacted the edge of the main beam of the window and fragmented, causing a young girl (I think she was 2) to be killed.

New
Old July 11, 2007, 12:02 PM   #30
easyG

But the fragments would still be less lethal that the unfragmented bullet.
Old July 11, 2007, 12:18 PM   #31
newarcher

Point taken....

Somewhere in there is a calculation of risk based on a single super deadly projectile versus multiple deadly projectiles.

Dead is the same either way.

New
Old July 11, 2007, 12:45 PM   #32
easyG

Quote:
Somewhere in there is a calculation of risk based on a single super deadly projectile versus multiple deadly projectiles.

Dead is the same either way.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

The fragmented projectiles do have the remote possibility of killing someone.
VERY REMOTE.

A bullet that has fragmented before entering the body is NOT much of a threat and certainly should not be considered effective for stopping another human.
They simply lack the velocity, energy, and penetrating ability to be considered effective.
Old July 11, 2007, 12:49 PM   #33
newarcher

Nah, I understand precisely what you are saying.

You are correct, depending on what was hit and how much fragmentation exists.

If the bullet breaks into 10 pieces after entering the door, then you may be correct. If it breaks into 2 pieces after glancing off an object like a door frame, then it would be very lethal.

Sounds like we need a test. Let's all meet in a central location and bring your test dummy of choice (gang bangers, pedophiles, wife beaters, etc.) and let's test!

New
Old July 11, 2007, 03:45 PM   #34
markj

Quote:
The teenager then proceeded to fire bb pellets at the four of us. What should I have done called the police. What would some one reading this post do?
Take license number down call leo. Do not kill anyone, you are not in threat of your life.

If a real weapon is shown you got about 1/2 a second to react.

Fact here in Omaha, LEO pulls over van, before LEO can exit vehicle back door of van opens a guy with an ak 47 replica rifle shoots officer many times killing him, a trained officer in broad daylight.

Stay out of high crime areas.
Old July 11, 2007, 04:46 PM   #35
Fremmer

I don't know about what you should have done. That probably happened very quickly.

I do know this, though. Time for Grandma to move. I don't care if she has to move to a smaller place, she needs to get the heck out of that area. Please help her find a new place to live.
Old July 11, 2007, 07:39 PM   #36
Hallucinator

Take cover, call the cops. Rest assured that if this idiot keeps doing this for long, toy gun or not, someone will take him out. Just don't let it be you.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:51 PM   #37
obxned

You'll never get everyone under cover in time. A shot or two to their car may spoil their aim or speed them away.

As far as orange on the end of the barrel - is it a non-firearm, or just a little spray paint. Can you really afford to guess wrong?

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old July 14, 2007, 05:17 PM   #38
Groundhog

Quote:
I think you'd have a real problem explaining why the 12 year old was dead in the back seat, with a pellet gun.
I don't.

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me