The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 1, 2007, 06:11 PM   #26
threegun

Lurper, Can you give us a training regimen that aids in maintaining situational awareness after eliminating the initial threat?

I fire whatever I decide to shoot at the target then bring my pistol back to my chest and let my wrists relax downward and slightly to the side while scanning left and right. What do you do.
Old July 1, 2007, 06:15 PM   #27
Dannavy85

My defensive practice, is to shoot 3 times as fast as I can to the center of
mass, using paper human target. I'll do this sequence about 20-30 times.

excellence. This should be the standard practice for home defense courses.
Old July 1, 2007, 08:35 PM   #28
Lurper

What I recommend is to keep the gun at full extension (when the environment allows) and do a 360 degree arc. Then return to the initial threat. Depending on how many rounds you have fired, reload and return to full extension. After that, seek a better position if possible keep the initial threat covered and scan the area just moving your head until the cavalry arrives. I don't advocate lowering the pistol, unloading, setting it down or anything else. Keep the threat covered until the police arrive.
Old July 1, 2007, 09:42 PM   #29
Hard Ball

+ 2 Lurper
Old July 1, 2007, 10:53 PM   #30
gunmetal

Variants

Just my views, some of which have already been covered....

Your mechanism for incapacitating the adversary will either be via a (probably lucky) disrupted CNS or by blood loss. Since handguns are relatively poor stoppers and blood loss will take a while to incapacitate the attacker, continue to shoot until the threat has been observably removed.

Shoot as fast as you can reliably make good hits. Do not shoot faster.

Do not count on 1 round stopping the attacker.

Do not count on 2-3 rounds stopping the attacker.

Be prepared for attackers with body armor. This may mean placing shots into the pelvis. Some trainers advise placing the first shot into the pelvic region (I lean towards this philosophy myself).

Also, after the threat has been removed to the best of your ability to ascertain, you could keep your weapon in a ready position, or alternatively, re-holster it but keep your hand on it. The idea here is to keep yourself from getting blown away by responding officers.
Old July 2, 2007, 01:23 AM   #31
biere

I suppose a lot of this comes down to what comes across in typed words vs. an actual in person discussion with someone.

For now I am not going to worry about correcting any points since I am not sure I will correct them.
Old July 2, 2007, 02:51 AM   #32
Yithian

My thoughts on my method are based on the "Fight or Flight" reaction.
I expect I would do both.

I never thought of any 360 turn to look around.
I would be more afraid of being hit while I was looking around. (Second shooter?)

Just take cover.
Concentrate fire on one BG and get where its hard to be seen.
Heck, laying down in a gutter is better than remaining vertical on a vacant street.

If I find myself in a firefight, (more than one BG) the only thing that I would find difficult is being sure to get the first guy down.
I already know I'm gonna run like a pansie and try to return fire. LOL

One a side note, if you are worried about neighbors/bystanders, reload or buy Ballistic tipped ammo for your handgun.
They loose more energy on sheet-rock than any other type of projectile.
Yes there will be 'pepper' on the other side but tiny pieces of flack hold less energy than large pieces or full size bullets.
I would rather feel bad that my neighbor had bandages, than see my neighbor have stitches or a coffin.
Another advantage is that some can penetrate body armor. Not always. But they can.
Old July 2, 2007, 06:00 AM   #33
threegun

Yith,
Quote:
Heck, laying down in a gutter is better than remaining vertical on a vacant street.
Understand that bullets flatten out on hard surfaces so all rounds that would have missed low and short are going to be eaten if you lay down on concrete.
Old July 2, 2007, 07:50 AM   #34
Ian2005

Wow some of these responces... I've had a good laugh at most of them and then I remembered the forum I'm in.

Firing multiple rounds.. let see hmm.. yeah shot till the BG is no longer a threat. If your still shooting a corpse on the ground flopping around after each impact, yeah, you might have some trouble with the law.

Common sense applies. Duh.
Old July 2, 2007, 07:58 AM   #35
ATW525

Slidelock seems like a good time to stop and assess to me. Honestly, if it's not blatantly obvious the fight is over before my gun is empty, why on earth would I want to lay off the trigger to have a better look??

Posssibly I'd shoot the bad guy an extra shot or three by the time my brain registers he's not a threat and tells my finger to stop shooting, but I don't think that would overly complicate my case to unreasonable degree.
Old July 2, 2007, 09:46 AM   #36
easyG

I recommend shooting the target at least three times before pausing to assess.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:08 AM   #37
threegun

Quote:
If your still shooting a corpse on the ground flopping around after each impact, yeah, you might have some trouble with the law
Never saw a corpse as a deadly threat.......oh wait dawn of the dead LOL. As Lurper said you will know. My friend shot a robber and instantly after the first shot the robber dropped the gun and ran. He knew instantly and before he could squeeze of the next shot. He doesn't know how he had time to know but he knew. Perhaps your brain processes things faster than normal under stress like that who knows.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:59 AM   #38
uzimon

when would R.F. be required?
remember KORESH and the video?
now im not recommending opening fire on atf, but say youre in a shtf scenario, like in NEW ORLEANS, where there was roving gangs of maggots going into folks homes.
shoot right thru the walls, ceilings, floors, etc.
if several guys just breached your home, just lay a string of fire through the walls.
then they'll know they picked the wrong house
Old July 6, 2007, 07:58 PM   #39
mattro

This guy got his arm bone shattered, foot destryoed, and his pelvis shattered and kept firing at police. When would you stop shooting?

http://members.cox.net/areskslan/PA%...20112906.ppt#2