The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 23, 2006, 09:50 AM   #1
LSU12ga

have you ever used your hd shotgun?

Has anyone here had to get out their gun, not nessissarly fire it, but use it as a deterrant?

I am intrested to hear some stories....and i dont want to do my homework.
Old July 23, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
wolfdog45

I have had to take it out and check on some noises but never had to fire it in self defense.

" Do what is right-help others." Leo K. Thorsness, Medal of Honor recipient.
Old July 23, 2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Northern Sod Breaker

Never with a shotgun but I have grabbed my rifle out of the closet @ 1 in the morning to check out noises coming from the barn yard. Tunred out to be nothing but better safe then sorry.
Old July 24, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

I grabbed mine once. It sounded like someone was breaking in. I lived in a bad niegborhood at the time. I went to investigate and startled a couple guys trying to steal my car dolly. they took off like a couple rockets when they saw the shotgun and never came back.
Old July 24, 2006, 08:20 PM   #5
Bigfatts

I sure have. I was at home sitting in my game room, where I clean my guns, in the back of my house. I am finished cleaning and am relaxing drinking a Diet Coke on my futon. I am getting up to walk out of the room when I happen to glance out the sliding grass door and see a strange man standing in MY backyard! As I'm watching, he kneels down next to the Koi pond in the corner of the yard and looks as if he's going to go for a swim. So I'm thinking "[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]'s going on here?" There have been a few home invasions in the neighborhood lately so I grab the 870 and walk out the door. "Howdy." I've never seen a man run so fast in my life. And the look on his face was priceless. He ran around the house and scaled the 6 ft privacy fence without breaking stride. I went back in and called the SO. They came out and looked around and patrolled the neighborhood but they never found the guy. I don't know whether he was after the Koi, as some of them are quite valuable, or what. Never had a situation like that before.
Old July 24, 2006, 11:08 PM   #6
skeeter1

I've never had to shoot any gun in SD, and I doubt I'll ever have to, but I'm glad that they're there. There have been a couple of close calls, once when an escaped felon was in my mother's neighborhood, (the cops caught him), and the second time there were cops with guns drawn circling around the house behind me (false alarm). In both cases, I dropped a .38Spl in my pocket and stayed in the house.

If push came to shove, I'd probably have grabbed one of the rifles or 12-gauge doubles. Handguns are fun, but if my life is on the line, I'd rather have one of the longguns.
Old July 25, 2006, 01:22 PM   #7
PJR

Sure. Several times in fact. Living in the country my 870 is the predator control gun and it's seen use a few times.

It was only taken out once in response to a possible threat from a two-legged beast. No shots fired.

The beast in question was an ostrich that had escaped from a nearby farm and the owners were quite anxious to have it back.
Old July 25, 2006, 01:33 PM   #8
jhgreasemonkey

An ostrich? That would startle the heck out of you. What the? I forgot to mention critters also. A big fat racoon got into my puppy kennel and was hassling the puppy so I had to blast it. That was a little messy at close range with a 12guage. :barf: Racoons get on the back porch my mama just chase em off with a broom.
Old July 25, 2006, 01:37 PM   #9
LSU12ga

raccon?

what load did you use to kill it?
Old July 25, 2006, 01:40 PM   #10
jhgreasemonkey

I was a heavy field load 7 1/2 shot. At close range the poor rotund critter basically turned to goo.
Old July 26, 2006, 01:39 PM   #11
flesheatingvirus

A buddy of mine had a similiar animal incident. He was sitting in his living room when a 'possum poked its head up through a floor vent. Instead of doing the sensible thing, he stuck a 12gauge in the vent and pulled the trigger. Needless to say, he had a lot of scrubbing and sponging to do afterwards.
Old July 26, 2006, 01:58 PM   #12
JJB2

well.... my HD shot gun is my s&w model 27 6" loaded with home brewed reloaded shot loads using the speer blue shot capsules and #2 or #6-7 shot... they seem to work on possums and coons that come around.... i have wondered how much damage they might do to a human sized target though........ took 4 shots to put a big coon down last winter so i'm thinkin i better stay with the smaller targets.............
Old July 26, 2006, 02:38 PM   #13
oletymer

I think you people answered you own question about HD shotguns. In the majority of cases they are not needed. Just keep a field or competition gun around and it will serve your needs.
Old July 26, 2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Cameron

oletymer I have to disagree.

The majority of times I drive my car I have no need of my seatbelt, I still put it on every time I get in...

I enjoy having my sporting SGs, but I also need a good self defense SG. Hopefully it will be like the seat belt and it will never be used in it's primary function....

Regards,
Cameron
Old December 5, 2006, 03:57 PM   #15
andrewd523

Shotguns are like seatbelts... Great analogy! I feel they are also like car insurance... You have to have it (most states require it), but you hope you will never have to use it. Rather be safe than DEAD!
Old December 5, 2006, 04:08 PM   #16
Edward429451

Quote:
Just keep a field or competition gun around and it will serve your needs.
Probably basically true but I take the field barrel off at home and put on the short police trade in barrel. Best o both worlds I guess.
Old December 5, 2006, 04:12 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I've never seen a man run so fast in my life. And the look on his face was priceless. He ran around the house and scaled the 6 ft privacy fence without breaking stride.
Hee hee, love a good holiday story.
Old December 5, 2006, 04:21 PM   #18
raggededge

I have but one shotgun, a basically stock 1300 Defender. Only thing I threw on there was a home-concocted LED light. There have been a couple nights that I have sprung to the door with it in hand. Two or three times I've had people messing with the cars out front, but usually just flicking the porch lights are enough to get them gone without confrontation. About two months ago, though, someone broke one of our ground-level windows in the middle of the night. I'm still unsure of his intent, but he went a scrambling when he saw me coming. I hope I never have to fire, but if it comes to that I will gladly choose the safety of myself and my family over some misplaced societal dregs.
Old December 5, 2006, 05:59 PM   #19
bacardisteve

i heard a horrible crash one night. the first thing i grabbed was my ruger deerfield carbine 44mag. it turned out that a rather large brauma bull from next door had escaped and had crashed through my door. my dog was trying to bite it as it was trying to fit its fat ass the rest of the way through the door. that was when i put 2 rounds in its head from 10 feet. i never could figure why it charged my door. something it saw must of pissed it off
Old December 5, 2006, 07:00 PM   #20
akr

Wow! It's a good thing you didn't let it any further in. Your house would have been wrecked. What did your neighbor say?
Old December 5, 2006, 07:09 PM   #21
Travismaine

Quote:
The majority of times I drive my car I have no need of my seatbelt, I still put it on every time I get in...

I enjoy having my sporting SGs, but I also need a good self defense SG. Hopefully it will be like the seat belt and it will never be used in it's primary function....

Regards,
Cameron
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I have two home guns and I carry. I hope I never have to use them but if I do need one it will be there..

Travis
Old December 5, 2006, 07:38 PM   #22
the_oklahombre

Quote:
i heard a horrible crash one night. the first thing i grabbed was my ruger deerfield carbine 44mag. it turned out that a rather large brauma bull from next door had escaped and had crashed through my door. my dog was trying to bite it as it was trying to fit its fat ass the rest of the way through the door. that was when i put 2 rounds in its head from 10 feet. i never could figure why it charged my door. something it saw must of pissed it off
I've worked cows all my life and mostly angus and brauma. I have seen them run through doors and walls. Most times it was because something was chasing it. The other reason would be they are big, clutzy, and can't see very well. Cattle are not aggressive to the point where they try to track you down and kill you. They only get violent when scared or threatened. I really don't know if shooting it was the right thing to do. The dog barking probably was what "pissed" him off. More then likely if you would have started yelling and throwing your hands up the bull would have tried to retreat. You've got to show them you are a lot meaner then they are, I mean everyone thinks that bulls are like those that you see on the rodeo circuit. Just my opinion of course.
Old December 9, 2006, 08:45 PM   #23
Daves-got-guns

JJB2, i have killed a grouse with those birdshot loads. Would not reccomend at all, as it seems glaser safety slugs do awhole hell ofa lot better job, and you don't have to worry about goin thru walls. Alittle on the expensive side, i would try out 5 and if you don't like them forget i said anything!
Old December 16, 2006, 11:11 PM   #24
auburnboattail

HD Use

I have used my HD shotgun in defense.
Not a pleasant experience, lived on a farm, came home, 2 guys in house 2 guys in barn.

dogs took care of guys in barn, I took care of guys in house.

key is dependable gun, automatic reflex, (practice,practice)
Old December 17, 2006, 04:39 AM   #25
Daves-got-guns

sorry to hear that auburn, and i usually dont pry into this kind of stuff, because it seems to be a code of ethics to NOT ask, but id like to know alittle more about the situation if you will tell the story, in depth, but i understand %100 if you would not want to tell. Again i am sorry you had to use a weapon in self defense.