The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2002, 10:53 AM   #1
MJRW

so, how did you get into shooting

Just to say, I've been lurking here for about six months now. Slowly gathering information and learning, drinking my milk so I can grow up to be a big strong shooter. Alright, I'm 26, but I just got into shooting fairly heavily about a year and a half ago.

I used to shoot daily for weeks at a time at a summer camp when I was a wee young'n. Also would shoot at the neighbor's house, he was a farmer. Did some clay shooting when I was young, as well. However, when I moved to Virginia, my access was limited and so my shooting died down.

Until about a year and a half ago (as previously mentioned). My brother gave me a handgun for Christmas of last year. I've considered bludgeoning him with it since then. It was an SW380. It initially jammed more than Smuckers. But I was still hooked. Seeing those groups get tighter and tighter out of even the first 100 shots...it had begun.

But I didn't really know what a good handgun felt like or shot like or was. I found out some of my friends were avid shooters. They just never discussed with me. Well, I shot some of their pistols.

The first thing I realized was, "I need something more reliable for home defense." Living in a townhouse I felt restricted some of my caliber and barrel length. After much reading, holding, and shooting, I made a decision. I went and bought a Ruger GP-100, 4" barrel, stainless just about two months ago. Put 6 .38 hollows in a speedloader and I'm good to go. Say all you want about blue, you liking blue is your business and I will leave you to it. Hell, I'm happy some of you love blue, it leaves more stainless for me. I love the look of a stainless.

I'm approaching my 1000th round through the Ruger and have kept nearly half the shells. A friend of mine's family were all born with Redhawks in one hand and a wad full of handloads in the other. When I added up the costs about a month ago, I realized it would be more cost effective for me to get something of smaller caliber. I went reading the forums again, talked to a friend who is knowledgable and went shopping. I eventually found the 22" stainless Ruger 10-22 at Wal-Mart, got it for 160$. 40$ later at the range, I had a nice, slightly used Bushnell 3x9 scope mounted.

The SW380 got taken apart and cleaned methodically and thoroughly. Lubricated appropriately and inspected for wear. It has since shot 200 rounds with 0 jams. I'm going to shelf it until I get my CCW permit.

And I have been shooting weekly or twice a week for about three months now with a group of about 6 or so friends. My fiance has also gotten interested in shooting with me (she's fond of the ruger 10-22, but has a hard time loading the magazine full so we are going to get her a marlin 60). And now I am investigating turkey hunting. She's expressed some interest in shooting some turkey. We are going to look into that when we are both better shots and I am 100% confident in her gun handling safety. When that point comes, we are going to tap her good ole' boy family (she's converted to suburbanism, I'm still in love with my original home of Chicago) and get out there.
Old September 4, 2002, 11:19 AM   #2
Snowdog

Quote:
It was an SW380. It initially jammed more than Smuckers.

Welcome to TFL !

All I can say is that you're moving in the right direction.

I started way back when I was about 14, when my grandfather took me out to the range with a .250 Savage.
In those days, I didn't know a primer from the powder.

Stick with it, you'll find that firearms are more than a worthwhile hobby.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old September 4, 2002, 11:45 AM   #3
No4Mk1

Great first post! I started shooting when I was 8 years old, but have a story much like yours and didn't get back into it until about a year ago when I bought my first handgun and got my CHL.

The impetus for this was a series of muggings and carjackings in the parking garage at my office. I decided I needed to be responsible for my own personal defense, and also believed that if I was going to carry a firearm I would need a lot more training and practice than the CHL class and qualification provided.

That training and practice was so much fun that shooting turned into my main hobby, and I now have two handguns, and recently bought a 308 rifle. My next planned purchase is the 10/22 that you talk about, as I enjoy rifle shooting but am getting tired of the expense (even with milsurp ammo) of shooting 308 all the time.

Like you, my SO's family lives in the sticks, and I now have a blast going to visit them and going into the woods plinking.

Welcome to TFL, and thanks for posting this!

HL.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old September 4, 2002, 12:15 PM   #4
tech

For me it started very early I just loved guns. First it was toy guns as a child. Every vacation we went on I had to buy another pistol. As I grew older and started having some disposable income (or I just went hungry) I bought and shot the real thing. For me it has become an addiction. But its legal and I tell my wife that I can get most if not all of my money back if I ever have to sell. Or in a more likely circumstance she can get the money out of them when I am taking the big dirt nap. Enjoy your new hobby and stay safe.

Keep your powder dry
Mike
Old September 4, 2002, 12:48 PM   #5
mike killian

GETTING STARTED

For me it started with toy guns and the I went to camp one summer and shot a 22 bolt action rifle and fell in love with shooting. One of the first things I bought when I moved out of my folks house was a Ruger Mark 22, then it was a Dan
Wesson .357, then it was a Colt Govt. 45, then it was a Beretta .25, then it was a HK USPc 45, then it was.......... I can't seem to stop!!!

OH well at least I'm having fun with my addiction.

Welcome to TFL>

NRA LIFER
MCRGO
CPL HOLDER

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset
Old September 4, 2002, 12:48 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Welcome to TFL, MJRW!

Sounds like a very good start into the sport.

Do take a serious look at the Marlin 60 as you mentioned. I was getting tired of literally lugging my now overweight 10 lb. 10/22 down into the woods to keep a check on the squirrels. I recently bought a 60SB and couldn't be more pleased with it. I've never had the hangup with tubular magazines others seem to have. They are much easier and faster to load than the 10/22 mags. I made some "speed loaders" for it and my Marlin 39A - a set of large plastic soda straws. Put a safety pin through one end and load 'em up with .22's bullet down. To load the rifle, remove the tube and spring follower assb and tilt one of the straws into the mag. I would love to find a set of the old ammo tubes like they used at shooting galleries on Coney Island and such.

(This is more of a general topic so I'll move it to the General Discussion forum.)
Old September 4, 2002, 01:10 PM   #7
MJRW

I've shot a marlin 60, stainless with laminant stock. Shot really nice. I just prefer the feel of my 10/22. I also don't like laminant or synthetic stocks. They feel cold to me. My 10/22 is currently weighing in at about 10 pounds, but I feel like its worth every pound. I've had two failures to eject, but I determined it was the ammunition. Other than that, it shoots really sweet.

I'm looking to add a Ruger .22 pistol to the collection, as well as a Kimber .45. I don't see how a collection is complete without a 1911. After that's done, I'm going to move from the SW380 - which after thorough cleaning is a very nice shot - to a Sig P229 .40, Browning BDA .380, or HK USP Compact for carry. I'm staying away from 9mm. The shoot through factor seems too high for my taste and I am ultimately responsible for where that bullet lands. I would just be more comfortable if it hung out in the bad guy's chest. I've got a weird situation with my hands. Short fingers, but wide palm. Makes alot of full frames and double stacks uncomfortable. Also, I like the shoot of a SA/DA over DA only. The idea of chambering a round, decocking, and possible manual safety as well appeals to me for carry.

If there's one thing I've learned about having/buying firearms and accessories, get exactly what you want or need every time or you will not only be unhappy and uncomfortable, but you will find yourself buying what you should have bought in addition to what you did buy. Wait, I've also learned that S&W fans are rabid and should be thrown a steak to distract before posting about stainless Rugers. If they see, stand perfectly still and show no fear.

Here's something I don't understand. Why do gunshop employees, like 85% of them, carry Glock 9mm of some sort and 2 extra clips? Is it good for business, are there enough situations that merit needing 60 rounds? I've literally only seen one other pistol carried and that was an HK .40.
Old September 4, 2002, 01:18 PM   #8
Chuck Dye

I was 11 years old. My buddies had air guns. I asked my parents if they would haul me to the nearest PX so I could buy my own at the cheapest price. The answer was we would go the following Saturday. Friday night, my Dad came home from work with a Winchester Model 75 target rifle, sling, case, shooting glove, NRA membership, and a membership in the Davey Crockett Junior Rifle Club. Saturday morning I was on the line, learning the basics of 50 foot indoor match shooting, air guns completely forgotten. I learned later that Dad was fairly badly injured as a kid by a buddy with an air gun, had (and still has) a very strong prejudice against them.
Old September 4, 2002, 01:41 PM   #9
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Unlike others here, I was not born sixgun in my hand.

Had Daisy air rifles as a kid. My dad took me out to shoot a .22 rifle once or twice. Shot maybe once more in my twenties.

9/11 happened. I applied for a NJ firearms purchaser ID on 9/18. Didn't receive it until 73 days later. Gave me plenty of time to read up, take lessons, rent to practice, etc.

It's no longer the urgent SD/SHTF deal it was then, now more of a hobby like golf or bowling. But I've still got plenty of stuff to learn.

- pdmoderator
Old September 4, 2002, 01:42 PM   #10
biere

One shop I used to go to all the time before I moved had a glock fan. He would almost always have it, but usually at least a 40*&* rather than a 9mm. Never noticed spare mags though.

I like glocks because they are already ugly so holster wear or bangs and scratches do not bother me at all. They are not what I would call really cheap, but when you discuss really reliable firearms they can be some of the cheaper semi-autos. I like them also because they make some guns in chamberings others are not so fond of, like the 10mm, and I can find 15 round mags for that 10mm.

And you are doing what I did since 2 years ago at age 26 I jumped headfirst into firearms. I shot a little as a kid, but not much as my family is along anti lines.

I like many of your choices, even have that stainless want. I like my 9mm for how cheap it is to shoot. 22s are great, but for a cheap centerfire I like it and 223 in rifles.

Enjoy, and you found a great site to ask questions on. Lots of knowledge here, and luckily these people wish to share it rather than lock it in a box and sit fluffy on top.
Old September 4, 2002, 01:44 PM   #11
m14nut

Congratulations MJRW; you've been bitten by the bug like the rest of us.
I guess I started shooting at about 4 or 5. My dad was a cop and I would go with him to watch him qualify. After they were done, he'd always save a box or two for me to plink cans or his favorite target, Honeydew melons!
Well, you can imagine a .38 S&W model 10 in the hands of a 5 year old. Didn't hit much, but dug ALOT of ditches about 20 feet in front of me!!!!LOL
He kept me practicing every chance we got, but eventually "santa" brought me a Colt woodsman match target that I still have to this day! Shooting in the Basement became a nightly occurance!
You'll find as you collect, that just when you finish paying for one you couldn't live without, you're gonna find another. It's like an addiction, but it's harmless, 'sept to your wallet!

Buying yourself a "smaller caliber" as you put it is a wise idea. Get a .22, don't matter which one, just get one..As you shoot more, your groups will shrink only as fast as your wallet! I started with that Colt and an old J.C. Higgins tube feed auto .22, now I think, at last count I'm up to 18 .22's.............oh well, glad the bug bit 'cha!
Chris~
Old September 4, 2002, 01:47 PM   #12
The Plainsman

Whaddaya mean - "how did you get into shooting"? When DIDN'T I shoot? I don't ever remember NOT shooting. My pappy was a shooter. His pappy before him was a shooter. So on and so forth, back as far as anyone can remember. Don't believe me???? Just ask my mom.
Old September 4, 2002, 02:04 PM   #13
Jamie Young

I was abducted by Aliens and they forced me to learn how to shoot guns. They said something about saving the world from "Tyranny."
Old September 4, 2002, 02:27 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

last october i was helping some friends move, and they were trying to sell off whatever they didnt need. turns out an AA Arms AP9 was up for grabs (think of a tec-9, only not as crappy). then a few months later i decided to use my bonus check to pick up 2 steyr m series, the m9 and m40. now i'm looking forward to my search for a m1 garand.
Old September 4, 2002, 03:04 PM   #15
gunnoob

My first time was when I was 12. Got to shoot a .22 rifle on a school outing. Quite fun even though I got "scope eye" when shooting a much larger rifle. Didn't touch a gun for nearly 15 years after that, but it did plant a positive image of guns in general. Then I bought a pistol as an impulse buy out of boredom and rediscovered the joy of shooting.
Old September 4, 2002, 03:05 PM   #16
croyance

Hello and welcome.
After a mispent teens and early twenties, I was in an actual 9-5. I had no background in guns, but thought I wanted to try. I asked around, and found somebody with guns who liked to take new shooters out. I went, and found I liked it.
My groups were terrible, made worse by the fact that it was cold and the H&K USP was much too large for my hands. I did a lot of research and bugged a bunch of people with questions. I thought through what was said, and dumped the parts that seemed like garbage (good thing I did too).
I narrowed down my first gun to a 9 mm, so it would have some utility for home defence. I did not have concealed carry in that state, and I had no idea how much I would enjoy shooting. So my initial goup of choises was narrowed down to the Browning HiPower, CZ-75, and Beretta 92.
I retrospect, I should have gotten a .22 LR early. It would have paid for itself in ammo costs alone.
Old September 4, 2002, 03:22 PM   #17
karstho

By Accident

I was a late bloomer who never fired a gun other than a BB gun until the ripe age of 32..

I bought my first handgun(Taurus PT-911) after a little run in with an employee who thought his Crystal Meth habit was more important than his job. In his disgust at being fired, he decided to take out his dispair on other employees with threats of violence and accusations that several of us were the cause of his dismissal.(Can you say Drug induced Paranoia? ) Well I went to the local range to learn how shoot and properly maintain a firearm, and I was Hooked!!...

4 guns later, and I still love this hobby.... So much so that I haven't been Cave diving in over a year.(Wife will only allow 1 Expensive/Dangerous hobby at a time) My wish list is growing faster than I can buy them, but I'm gonna try my best to cross them all off in the near future...

BTW Welcome to the TFL family. You won't find a better place for real honest to goodness information and opinions....
Old September 4, 2002, 04:19 PM   #18
DMK

Quote:
I don't see how a collection is complete without a 1911.
You're going to fit right in here!

My story is pretty much the same as yours. Started as a young 'un with a pellet gun then a .22 (on LI NY, believe it or not). Kinda got away from it for a while, but always had a .22 rifle laying around somewhere. Never even shot a pistol until about three years ago when my brother let me shoot his Beretta.

I think the thing that got me was that I couldn't hit a darn thing with the pistol. It wasn't like I saw in the movies. This required practice and skill. It's just my personality I guess. I just had to learn how to shoot it straight.

After that it was like potato chips and chocolate chip cookies - can't stop at one...
Old September 4, 2002, 09:17 PM   #19
SgtGunner

I was never allowed to have toy guns as a child, and I think it damaged me somehow.
Anyways dad had too many real guns in the house to like the idea of "toys" lying about. At 7 I got my first rifle, a Marlin papoose .22 at 9 came my first handgun A ruger mark I circa 1959. I was not born in 59 but my gun was. Still have it. At 17 joined the Corps and went into Force Recon. Retired after 14 years. Seems I have never been too far from a gun, whether recreational, in the military, or in competition. After 5 years of being a civillian still shoot almost as much as I did then. Much more than a worthwhile hobby, shooting can become a way of life, or even the basis for a value system.

"Semper Fidelis"

"Life is too short to carry a little pop gun...Make mine .45ACP"
Old September 4, 2002, 09:20 PM   #20
Jart

You ain't gonna believe this...

I waffled around the hobby a couple of times, but what really got me interested was the Violence Policy Center.

This lurker has no intention of gumming up the forum with political bs, suffice to say that I always came down on both sides of the liberal / conservative fence. However, I cannot abide being lied to; I tend to take it personally.

I hit an anomoly with "children per day" stats. Thanks to the internet and the "information age", any doofus can go to the CDC website and find out that VPC is pounding sunshine up one's dungarees. Didn't even need the NRA or any RKBA site to help. Being somewhat indignant I got curious about the whole issue - gun rights had not really hit my radar previously.

Two years ago - owned a (20 year old) Crosman co2 pistol. Contributed to Sierra, ACLU and NPR.

Now - Life member GOA, member NRA, 2 Kimbers, 1 Sig, 1 Glock, 1 Ruger and a Remmy 870. Hope to start IDPA next year after Front Site. I'm still pretty lame on the range but I'm working on it.

Thank you, VPC; thank you Brady, without whom I would never have discovered this hobby. And thank you, TFL.

Still liberal on some issues - one doesn't need to be on the right to resent being lied to.

Cheers
Old September 4, 2002, 09:44 PM   #21
Christopher II

I was always interested in guns as a kid. I have my Dad to thank for making sure that my interest in guns was matched by my interest in shooting.

Started out with air pistol and air rifle in the basement. In retrospect, probably a mistake. Thirteen years is a bit young for formal competition; I probably would have been happier shooting tin cans. Still, I kept at it on and off.

Found a nearby skeet and trap club, shot skeet and occasional smallbore rifle all through junior high and high school.

In college, I discovered the Purdue Rifle and Pistol team. Decided to shoot pistol, it looked like more fun. Started to get interested in combat shooting and self-defense. Bought my first firearms only a few years ago, a CZ-75b and an STG-58. Since then I've bought a few more. A Smith and Wesson Model 41 quickly followed. Then cam others.

I still like the shooting more than the having. I shoot every match I can attend, IDPA, Bullseye, ISU, pins, steel, highpower, skeet, anything. Bullseye and IDPA are where I concentrate.

Still shooting, still loving it.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old September 4, 2002, 09:51 PM   #22
Savage110

Well,
No one in my immediate family has really been into guns. My dad had a .22 as a kid, but he got rid of it and hasn't shot since.
However, my uncle shoots, and when I was 8 or so he took me out for the first time to the shooting range. I shot a 10/22, a Colt 1911, and a Glock 19. After that, I was pretty much into firearms, and every year when my uncle would visit (he lives outta state) we'd go shooting. In between his yearly visits, I'd take any opportunity to go with friends who had guns and enjoyed the sport and were willing to take me along.

I finally turned 18 in April of this year, and I'm now the proud owner of a Ruger 10/22 and a Savage 110 .30-06.

- Don't take life too seriously . . . no one gets out alive.
Old September 4, 2002, 10:12 PM   #23
Hardtarget

I don't remember a time before shooting. I've shot something ALL of my life. Started with cap guns...even needed to go boom back then. I also had spud guns, rubberband guns, air rifles were a must have. I have movies of my Dad and I rabbit hunting when I was seven. I've hunted and plinked every chance...to the point of insanity for my wife. Really, I don't know how I got into shooting because I don't remember a time when I didn't shoot.
Ain't life grand?
Mark.
Old September 5, 2002, 07:47 AM   #24
Eric Larsen

I was raised by a mom and dad, who both were NRA shooters. Both have trophies for their efforts...Its funny my dad still says "In competitions Id beat her everytime...but if we were just screwing around...rapid fire at shotgun shells or what not...she'd wax me everytime" ......Its in the blood....
Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old September 5, 2002, 09:48 AM   #25
GnL

I was raised as a suburban kid, and was pretty much anti-gun until a little more than 2 years ago. I attended a debate on gun control at the law school, continued to research the issue, and decided it was damn time to start exercising my Constitutional rights. Until that time I had only shot a gun on one prior occasion about 9 years ago with a friend (enjoyed it but was living overseas and couldn't pursue it then).

I started with a Glock 19 (still my favorite pistol), and have since increased my handgun collection and have moved into rifles. I have an AR, an M1 Garand, and an M1 Carbine, and am looking to round out the collection with an M1A and a shotgun.

I am also planning to go to Frontsight in October. So one could say I have come a long way in 2 years.
JPFO
SAS

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken