The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2000, 06:29 PM   #1
Lavan

I ........ H A T E .....to admit that I stepped into a Wal-Mart, but my trap club stopped carrying the Federal Top Gun pracice shells.

So, on advice of someone here, I grudgingly walked into that nest of traitors and killers of small business and bought ONLY the "general purpose" shells that they (and apparently ONLY they) carry.

Good grief. My scores have SOARED! I used to regularly shoot avg 24 at 16 yds and about 18-21 at 23 yd handicap.

Then I slumped to 20-21 at 16 yds.

NOW I am again shooting 24 at 16 yds AND shooting handicap last Sat. (which I have avoided from embarassment) shot 24 there also.

Just another 50 fps so they say. But WHAT a difference. Also 7 1/2 shot instead of 8's and the targets just SMOKE.

I sure wish there was somewhere else to get em though.
Old June 27, 2000, 07:15 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bought some myself,came to $16.68. I did promise to go to the local Guns R Us I've been a customer of for 30 years or so to buy the next ammo I need.

Since I'm down to 3 slugs, I'll be picking them up soon to get the deer 870 zeroed for the season. Only got 5 months till the opener so I better get cracking...
Old June 27, 2000, 07:57 PM   #3
Ledbetter

Lavan,

You can go to
www.cheaperthandirt.com

and search for items

0306397 ($4.58 per box)
67404 ($3.84 per box)

I think this is the ammo you described. I ordered some ammo from these folks over their website and it arrived in about a week.

Hope this helps,

Ledbetter
Old June 27, 2000, 10:07 PM   #4
Hueco

I wish I had your scores! Whew!!! Anyway, just a little side note. First, try buying some STS/AA shells in 7 1/2. i bet your score will better even more over the cheap-o shells. That's because the cheaps don't use true wads. So your downrange pattern really suffers. Stay with the hig-grade stuff.

Hueco
Old June 27, 2000, 10:47 PM   #5
Tuff

cheaper than dirt is a good place, I buy things from ther myself and save money.
Old June 28, 2000, 06:48 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The AA trap loads have been my dove load of choice for decades. Great patterns in the various shotguns I've used them in, tho I've found that while 7 1/2 shot will pattern great in one shotgun, the next one might do better with 8s.Current bird gun likes the 7 1/2s, does OK with most loads,and excells with an Skeet II choke and #5 1 1/4 oz Winchesters for spooky pheasant.

The Federal stuff I bought will go for clays, since a clay can't suffer pain from a marginal pattern.
Old June 28, 2000, 08:11 PM   #7
cjb

If you are talking about the Federal shot shells in the "4 pack", I can add a little to this. I have been using them for a while now. I can't find a better load for the price! I can save ten cents a box if I drive 50 miles to buy Estate ammo by the case. I don't have the time, or room to reload. I average 40 out of 50 at sporting clays with these shells, and I have tried every other brand out there. STS's are expensive if you shoot 200 rounds a weekend like I do. As for the new AA's..... JUNK!!! I like the way they shoot, but 50% of the cases split on the first shot. This makes my fellow shooters who reload MAD!!! I heard that Winchester is re-designing them again. If you don't reload, the Federals are the way to go. CHEAP OR NOT THEY WORK!!
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "