The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 18, 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
oldscot3

Army Times story

Others may already know this but it was news to me. According to the Army Times 6.5 to 7mm cartridges are being tested as a possible replacement for the 5.56. Among those mentioned being tested were the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem. An interesting sidebar was that they were also looking into polymer cases instead of brass. Should be interesting to see how things develop.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

According to the Army Times circa 2004, the XM8 is going to replace the M16 as the standard infantry rifle and we are going to abandon the Picatinny rail for HK's proprietary system.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:33 PM   #3
oldscot3

2004? Would I be wrong to suspect you don't place much credibility in Army Times reporting? It may not happen for a long time, but the army has been known to change weapons and ammunition before.

The article I read dates from this month I believe. My takeaway was that they're looking for something with a bit more energy at longer range.
Old May 19, 2017, 08:13 AM   #4
g.willikers

If so, does that mean there's going to be lots of surplus ammo available soon?
Old May 19, 2017, 09:40 AM   #5
oldscot3

Ha, wishful thinking I bet. They would probably give it all away to our "friends" in other countries, or destroy it all before allowing citizens to buy it.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:29 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
does that mean there's going to be lots of surplus ammo available soon?
the short answer is...

NO

Not soon, if ever. IF (when????) they go to a different round, supplies stockpiled in the states MAY go in the surplus market, depending on the administration in power at the time.

Stuff that wen overseas ISN'T coming back. Period.

Back in the 70s, at one of the bases I was on, in Germany, the Army Times was proudly displayed on the shelf of the Stars&Stripes bookstore. Right next to the Rolling Stone.

Between the two, we found the Rolling Stone to have more accurate, factual information.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:02 AM   #7
emcon5

Did the article talk specifically about replacing the 5.56 as the general infantry round, or more specifically about for sniper systems?

Was it this article?

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...s-sniper-rifle

While I wouldn't say it is impossible, I find it pretty unlikely that 6.5CM or .260 would be even a remote consideration for a new general infantry rifle, while not as much recoil as the .308, they are still a little excessive for FA fire, and the ammo loadout would be lower per soldier, because the ammo weighs more and takes up more space.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:34 AM   #8
JoeSixpack

Someone correct me if im wrong but aren't we required to stick to NATO rounds?

They might be looking for a new rifle but I can't imagine them switching from 5.56

Quote:
Ha, wishful thinking I bet. They would probably give it all away to our "friends" in other countries, or destroy it all before allowing citizens to buy it.
Ain't that the truth.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:49 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...aren't we required to stick to NATO rounds..." That'd be the theory. Except both the 7.62NATO and 5.56NATO were U.S. inventions nobody in NATO actually wanted but got jammed down other NATO country's throats by the U.S.
Then there's the .45 ACP, that has never been a NATO cartridge, the U.S. used until 1985 despite that.
"...destroy it all before allowing citizens to buy it..." Yep. Included approximately 500,000 perfectly good C1A1's, C2's, No. 4 and 7 rifles that got chopped by our idiot government.
Old May 19, 2017, 02:02 PM   #10
ndking1126

Anyone familiar with the 6x6.8 SPC wildcat? I'm not a serious reloader, so I generally don't spend much time with wildcats, but this one caught my eye. Actually seems like it would be a good candidate for the Army. (I don't think the Army is going to change calibers anytime soon.. just thinking outloud.)

I can't find much data, but it seems like it can push an 6mm 85 grain bullet about 2800 fps with a 16" barrel. That definitely will have a little more authority than the 55 or 62 gr 5.56.

It should feed more reliably because of the straighter case taper, be easier to lug around and have less recoil than the 260 Rem (same size as the 7.62 of course). Down size is it won't have the range or "knock down power" of the 260.

On the other hand, I own a 260 Rem. If the Army were to pick the caliber up, maybe I'd start seeing it on the shelves again.. hmm.
Old May 19, 2017, 03:12 PM   #11
DaleA

Lots more information on this in the following, recent thread: "Military replacing the 5.56?"

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ht=army&page=3
Old May 19, 2017, 11:27 PM   #12
oldscot3

Emcon5- No. The article was,

New rifle, bigger bullets; Inside the Army's plan to
ditch the M4 and 5.56. By Todd South, Army Times
May 7, 2017
Old May 20, 2017, 12:20 AM   #13
rickyrick

If it is replaced, all that surplus ammunition and rifles will be used against us on some future battlefield because we sold it or gave it away.