The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 5, 2017, 09:33 PM   #1
tacstar

SBR Advantages?

What are the advantages of a SBR? I've noticed the growing popularity of 14.5" rifles,several manufacturers are now starting to offer them. Is there a benifit to having a 14.5" rifle over a 16" or 20" rifle?
Old May 5, 2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Mobuck

The 14.5" barrel can end up being a legal 16+" length with a "pinned and welded" muzzle device. Choosing the right QD suppressor mount can allow you to have the shortest legal (no fee) suppressed rifle platform.
Otherwise, a SBR is mostly an expensive range toy-too loud to shoot w/o effective ear protection(maybe doubled up at that) and too much velocity loss to be effective at longer ranges.
I own a pair of AR "pistols" simply because they fit a niche in my state's deer hunting regs giving me an extended season. That's the only time I take either of them out.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Are you curious about the advantages of an SBR (any barrel less than 16") over a 16" rifle? Or the advantages of a 14.5" rifle vs. a 16" rifle? If the latter, then it it about an inch and a half shorter and 80 fps or so slower - plus the muzzle device is welded on or you've paid $200 for a tax stamp and are getting no significant use from it.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:27 PM   #4
ttarp

The advantage of an SBR is better balance and lighter weight, disadvantages are loss of FPS and increased noise. You have to weigh the options to see if its worth the exchange. Of course the 16" vs 14.5" is hardly worth the $200 stamp, wait time, and paperwork no matter your reasoning.
Old May 6, 2017, 01:11 AM   #5
raimius

It's shorter and generally lighter.

They are more conveniently sized, especially if you plan on hanging a suppressor off the end of it. A 9in barrel .300blk AR platform with a large can is roughly the same length as a normal 16in AR-15. I can throw the can on my 20in .308 bolt gun, but then the thing is nearly 4ft long and very front heavy!

Pistol caliber carbines work well as SBRs, as the cartridge is designed for shorter barrels. (Same with .300blk) In a .223 AR, you lose a lot of velocity below the 10 to 11-ish inch mark. If you are punching holes in paper, this matters less than for hunting or defensive use.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:17 AM   #6
HistoryJunky

I'm having this same debate as to whether to build my AR receiver as a pistol with "brace" and a 10.5 barrel or a standard 16" carbine.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 6, 2017, 10:52 AM   #7
highpower3006

I can more or less answer your question as I have both a 14.5" barreled AR and a SBR with a 10.5" barrel.

It makes almost zero sense to pay for the tax stamp just to loose a inch and a half of barrel length. On my M4gery with the 14.5" barrel I just pinned and welded a suppressor adapter to bring my barrel to just over the legal length. You could also do the same with any muzzle device that brings it up to legal length. I like the heck out of that rifle and I especially like it with the can on it even though it is as long a 20" rifle when the suppressor is attached.

The 10'5" AR SBR has quickly become my favorite rifle. I love how handy it is with the short barrel and even with the can, it is about the same length as my 14.5" AR. It has about the same noise level as my longer rifles with the same suppressor.

I guess I am kind of a slave to fashion as I think a AR with a carbine length gas system and a 16" barrel + muzzle device looks goofy whereas the shorter barrels just look "right". I also think that an AR without any sort of flash hider/brake also looks kind of stupid.

I couldn't possibility care any less about the small loss of velocity with shorter barrels, and on my guns at least, I see no appreciable loss of accuracy.

I know that there are going to be those that will say that the cost of the tax stamp is too much, or that you should be trying to eek out the last possible bit of speed of the cartridge, but lets be real here, most of us shoot for recreation and for fun. If it costs me a few extra bucks to have and shoot what I want to shoot, it is worth every penny I spent to me to exercise that option.

YMMV.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:33 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Mostly they let you pretend to be a combat "operator" helping to defeat the rampages of assorted varmints. Usually because they've been prominently displayed on TV and in movies. And nearly everybody wants stuff the military uses.
In some cases, it's because the particular State you live in says you can have it.
"...several manufacturers are..." Responding to a demand.
Old May 6, 2017, 02:57 PM   #9
benEzra

Keep in mind that there are also also a number of very good carbines with 16" barrels that are less than 28" OAL; the Tavor, AUG, and Kel-Tec RDB come to mind. They are not cheap, though.

A 16" Tavor has replaced my 16" AR as my home long gun of choice, since the Tavor is so much handier due to the rearward balance and shorter overall length.
Old May 6, 2017, 05:07 PM   #10
AK103K

I have 10.5", 16", and 20" AR's in various configurations. The 16" guns have always been my favorites, but since I put together a couple of the 10.5" guns, I find the others have been getting left in the safe a lot more.

Those little "pistols" with a brace, are handy as hell and very easy to like, and they shoot very well too.

Whats really silly here is the whole SBR/Pistol - Brace/Stock thing, especially with the latest round of vague ATF rulings. If you can shoulder a brace, of any kind, or even just the tube, why cant you put a stock on it? They are the same only different, yet one is "OK" while the other is "bad".

And you wonder why this country is in the state it is!
Old May 6, 2017, 11:43 PM   #11
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I have 10.5", 16", and 20" AR's in various configurations. The 16" guns have always been my favorites, but since I put together a couple of the 10.5" guns, I find the others have been getting left in the safe a lot more.

Those little "pistols" with a brace, are handy as hell and very easy to like, and they shoot very well too.

Whats really silly here is the whole SBR/Pistol - Brace/Stock thing, especially with the latest round of vague ATF rulings. If you can shoulder a brace, of any kind, or even just the tube, why cant you put a stock on it? They are the same only different, yet one is "OK" while the other is "bad".

And you wonder why this country is in the state it is!
That ruling is pretty much what prompted my thoughts. Of course I've always wanted an AK "pistol" too, but I don't think the wife would enjoy that. Maybe for the next one.

I was left pretty puzzled by why they wouldn't just make SBRs legal across the board too.

As of right now though, the brace is the only way to go since I live in IL.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2017, 04:39 PM   #12
snolden

Once you get down to <11" barrel it becomes very convenient as you can easily fit it in a backpack. This is nice cause then you don't have to walk around with a slung rifle or a rifle case as you are walking to the range. It also allows MUCH easier transport on a quad when calling predators.

Just more convenient all around. Course you have to choose the right caliber. As mentioned above .223 don't do so well out of a 7"-10" barrel.
Old May 7, 2017, 05:00 PM   #13
AK103K

It doesnt do to bad out of a 10" barrel. Ive shot a couple of bunnies at about 50 yards, and the "popped" just like they do when I shoot them with my 16" guns.

Not saying it would hold at long distances, but I would think, 100-150-200 yards wouldnt be a problem.
Old May 7, 2017, 06:43 PM   #14
AK103K

Oh, one other thing..... theyre great for tennis!

Old May 8, 2017, 09:05 AM   #15
ttarp

Ha ha, use the same case for my tennis racquet I.e. U.S. made MP5.
Old May 8, 2017, 07:27 PM   #16
agtman

Suppressed 10.5" .300BLK - SDN-6 can.

Why not?

It's awesomely dudenal cool.