The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 08:14 AM   #51
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Yes, every cartidge is phased out once it reaches the 100 year mark.
That made laugh! I'm sure you read it all over this thread already. NO! The .45ACP isn't going anywhere. Ever. If it does, I don't think I'll live to see it.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:52 PM   #52
mete

Do you mean now with the NY 7 rd mag limit ??
Old February 10, 2013, 03:58 PM   #53
BGutzman

We will all be phased out by age before 45 ACP goes away.... Unless some new crazy law is passed on it..
Old February 11, 2013, 12:14 AM   #54
Red Dog

Define phased out?
Old February 11, 2013, 12:26 AM   #55
tahunua001

short answer to the op,
NO the 45ACP is not being phased out nor do I see any indication of it even slowing.
kimber, ruger, remington, springfield, smith and wesson, armscor(rock island armory/citadel) and wilson tactical all make a 1911 in 45ACP. if I am not mistaken less than half of those models have been around for more than 10 years.

in the polymer world, glock, ruger, springfield, FN Herstal, beretta, and S&W all make 45ACP models. it is still the most heavily manufactured cartridge in the world. 9mm has always nipped on it's heals and over the last decade of recession it has become even more popular as a cheaper alternative but it will not replace 45ACP any time soon.

an analogy, 8mm mauser, 7mm mauser, 303 british, 30-40 krag, 7.62x54R and 30 carbine all have been out of mainstream production for several decades yet companies still release limited runs of guns in those calibers and ammo can still be found at every corner gun store just about. 45 ACP was in service with the us military for 75 years and has been flooding the civilian market for the last 50 at least. I would seriously doubt that any time in the next 50 years if anyone stopped making ammo for it.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:27 AM   #56
alex0535

^Probably something along the lines of a gradual reduction in availability and popularity over the course of our lifetimes.

Short of some sort of prohibition, the .45 acp will still be available anywhere that sells ammo long after we are all dead from old age.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:00 AM   #57
Rainbow Demon

One reason the .45 ACP will be around as long as cartridge firearms are made is that its near perfect as a round for suppressed pistols, suppressed smgs, and even suppressed carbine sized covert weaponry.
The heavy subsonic bullet and low operating pressure seems almost designed for that purpose.
For awhile they manufactured an altered Remington 788 in .45 ACP with integral suppressor as a police counter sniper SWAT weapon.
They used a .44 Magnum receiver rebarreled to .45, and fitted with a bolt from the .308/.243 action. Don't know the details of the magazine.
With the much longer bullet travel some factory loads gave just under 1,000 FPS with 230 gr FMJ.
The Enfield DeLise Carbine in .45 ACP was used to great effect in WW2 and through the brushfire wars of the 1950's.

The US keeps some factory new M3 Greaseguns in the wrap for special operations. The silenced M3 is an extremely effective room clearing device.
The original MAC-10 in .45 is another highly effective suppressed weapon. It was designed from jump to be used with a suppressor. A major role of the MAC-10 was for arming the Sniper's spotter, for taking out any enemy that wandered too close to the hide without alerting the opposition.
I remember one witness to a hit in a car park by a man armed with a suppressed MAC-10 saying it sounded like someone dragging a chain across the hood of a car. The witness did not realise she had just seen a man shot till the victim fell and blood began spreading on the concrete.

The main hurdle in suppressing a 1911 was solved when an expansion chamber was added to the endwipe section. With can attached by a dedicated barrel bushing gas from the fired round drives the muzzle section on the can forwards which acts as a gas assist to drive the otherwise overweight slide/can assembly to the rear. This makes the piece a gas assisted recoil operted action.
Allowing the can to increase in volume also slows down the gas as it expands reducing the sound even more.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:00 AM   #58
Denezin

Yes it will when they make a .46 acp according to one texas ranger lol. But no seriously it wont be phased out until they come up with ray guns or magic.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:40 AM   #59
CurlyQ.Howard

Not as long as there are Americans to purchase them.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:45 AM   #60
Skans

.45 ACP is not being fazed out. However, 9mm has had a new resurgence due to manufactures creating 9mm ammo with a big "punch", popularity of concealed carry and the micro or pocket 9's. Also, a number of shooters have come to realize that, after shooting 40S&W, they simply perform better with 9mm. More power isn't always better.

If CC laws become far more restrictive, people will gravitate toward larger guns and therefore .45 and 40S&W.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:37 PM   #61
Bart Noir

Quote:
The Marine Corps just re-adopted the 1911 as the M45 in .45 ACP.
The USMC never fully "un-adopted" the 1911. There is a small specialized group of Marines (a few thousand) that have been using the 1911 all along. They practice a lot and Marine armorers have been rebuilding the WW2 guns again and again, using many modern parts that we use in our 1911s.

Once the WW2 guns were too worn from shooting and rebuilding, USMC had a contest and Colt won the contract for the M45. But most Marines will not ever use one, or probably even see one.

Bart Noir
Old February 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #62
CADILLAC HOOSIER

What'd that song say? NEVER EVER!!