The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Sevens

Need Colt Woodsman advice

The only handgun my Dad ever owned was a Colt Challenger. That's a Second Series Woodsman variant, it was the "budget" in the line and they only made it for a short run of years. It had fixed sights and plastic grip panels. He picked it up used when he was in California in the late 1950's. Inside the grip panel the original owner had scratched his name -- if you have family in California and you know a T.A.Kennington that once owned a Colt Challenger, let him or his heirs know that we have his pistol!

What a terrific pistol. Still runs flawlessly and like every Woodsman I've ever handled, the feel of the slide on it's rails just epitomizes "smooth as butter."

Well, Mom's still got it, but my older Brother is going to get it. No harm, this is as it should be. Simply because I'm the biggest gun nut in the family is not a good reason to get that pistol over my brother...

So I've had it in my head that one day, when I find a shooter Woodsman or variant, it's coming home with me. And exactly that happened in the used case at a small gun shop in my regular circle.

What I bought turned out to be a First Series Woodsman of 1928 build with the longer 6 5/8" barrel, a windage adjustable rear sight and an elevation adjustable front sight. These longer barrel pistols just really trip my trigger but because they made more of them, they have a lesser "value" than the shorter barreled pistols.

Alas, the pistol I brought home is pre-High Velocity. I only run standard velocity ammo in it. And it's got it's share of surface wear and a lot of the beautiful bluing gone. But it's a fantastic shooter and it is almost exactly what I really wanted:

I wanted a shooter, not a show piece. I wanted a pistol that even if I put 15,000 rounds through it, it wouldn't "lower the value."

I have nothing against the finest examples -- I adore them! You guys post the most amazing pictures of phenomenally beautiful guns on here and I drool on them just as the next guy does. But I don't care to spend my money on something like that, and then give myself an ulcer by shooting it...or god forbid, letting someone else shoot it and watch them accidentally ding it on something.

I believe I got a fine deal on it...I was out the door, tax included for $375. It's because all of the wear on the pistol. As a collectible, it's just NOT there, so it's value and price was as a shooter.

I'm finally going to a proper gun show this month -- OGCA, which is a private show. I've never been, so I can only hope, but I believe it's going to be loaded with real collectible and vintage gun dealers.

What I'd love to do is parlay my 1928 Woodsman toward any functional Woodsman just a wee bit newer, built for HV ammo. I suppose I'm hoping to find one that had a heavily worn finish, maybe a couple rust spots and whatever else kills collector value.

Does this sound like a possibility or a pipe dream? Does my pistol carry some true collectible value simply because of it's age? It's a fantastic shooter and gives me literally 98% functioning out of 100 rounds and it's finely accurate, at least to my capabilities. If I can't pull off a deal for an HV-rated Woodsman, I'll be more than happy to bring my pistol back home.

I suppose I'm hoping that a worn 1928 Woodsman has enough "value" to swap for a newer Woodsman, any that is HV ammo rated, in any fully functioning condition.

SHHHHHH.... don't anyone tell my Woodsman what kind of a crazy, evil plan I've hatched.

In the end...I'm sure I'll likely be bringing my own pistol back home, which is probably what anyone that has read this far would suggest in the first place.

Use this thread to talk about your experience with a Woodsman or three!
Old November 5, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
kimbers rule

My father in law has an old woodsman thats in outstanding condition. He only brings it out on fathers day along with some other guns that are to nice to shoot. Its one of the most fun handguns i've shot. Seems to hit anything I point it at without any effort at all. Very nice pieces.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
tekarra

I had a Woodsman Match Target for bullseye shooting many years ago. Have regretted selling that fine pistol.