The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Lee Enfield No 5 Mk I Bullet Diameter

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any solid numbers on which bullet size I can use in the Enfield No 5??

All my research says .311 (150 Gr Sierra). I really want to try some 174 Gr Hornady FMJ seeing that is the bullet weight the rifle was built around. Only issue is, they are .312. Anyone think there is a problem running that down my barrel which is in excellent condition.

Thanks,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old October 13, 2010, 01:32 AM   #2
zippy13

Wouldn't it be better to actually measure your gun instead of guessing?
Old October 13, 2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Golfnutrlv,

The suggestion to slug your bore to measure the actual groove diameter is a good one, though I can't recall if you have an even or odd land count? The odd ones take a little more elaborate measuring setup to arrive at the land diameter.

Meanwhile, while that diameter is critical for cast bullets, it is less so for jacketed bullets within a narrow range. For example, U.S. .30 cal has the familiar 0.308" diameter. But if you look at the barrel specifications for the Garand and Springfield, they allow the groove diameter to be +/- 0.0015". In other words, 0.3065" to 0.3095". The bullets themselves have a tolerance of +0.001"/-0.000", so 0.308" to 0.309". At any rate, you are within normal military specs to use the 0.312" bullet. Just work the load up with that bullet, watching for pressure signs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 13, 2010, 06:56 AM   #4
PAdutchman

A .311 or .312 diameter bullet is fine for the Enfield #5 MK1.
Old October 13, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
chiefr

Unclenick is spot on.

Every time I see a #5 thread I can not help but mentioning the narrowed hard rubber butt plate on the #5. IMHO it magnifies the recoil on this light rifle and makes it very noticeable.
Old October 13, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
golfnutrlv

Alright, thanks everyone.

So, how would I go about measuring my bore? Do I need a special tool? Never had occassion to measure a bore before.

Finally, I am very familiar with that rubber pad!! Personally, I don't know what the designers had in their tea the morning they decided that it would help with recoil.

Really not an issue for me however. Not realy recoil sensitive.

Thanks all,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old October 13, 2010, 02:09 PM   #7
chiefr

I read somewhere that the rubber pad was to prevent the stock from cracking thru rough abuse not to cushion recoil. The #5 is one tough rifle.

I have fired at many many of rounds of the different belted magnums to include the 450 Lott. I do not consider myself recoil sensitive however the lightness of the #5 and design of the stock buttplate is noticeable.

I would call a local gunsmith and ask them about "Slugging" your bore if you have concerns like Unclenick said. I do not claim to be an expert on this process, but it is a process in that they can do an exact measurement of your bore.
Years ago I aquired a milsurp mauser that I had not a clue what it was and had the bore slugged and a chamber cast made. It was a 7x57. Cost was very reasonable.

Last edited by chiefr; October 13, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old October 21, 2010, 07:29 PM   #8
nanuk-O-dah-Nort

within reason

I think it was P.O. Ackley who did tests on bullet diameter....

He found that as long as the round will easily chamber, and there is ample neck room for bullet release, the oversized bullet is really no issue.

the higher pressures come from the neck not allowing bullet release.

the chamber pressure is well above what it takes to swage a bullet.

even Lee has a blurb about swaging down jacketed bullets in the Lee push through sizers.

Just make sure you are not close to max loads, and the neck has room for release and you should be fine