The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1
cbhester

Rifle Dies: FL & Neck Sizer Dies

I have not been reloading long and was reading up on the difference between full length sizer and neck sizer dies. The neck sizer die description says that it sizes only the neck and leaves the shoulder in its "fire-formed" size which leads to longer case life and better accuracy. Am I understanding this right to think that I need to discontinue the use of my FL sizer die and only use the neck sizer die from now on?? Also, if you do use the FL sizer die, does this eliminate the need for a neck sizer die? This questions may sound stupid but I have not done much reloading so far and am definitely still learning, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 19, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
stealintv

yes

From my understanding, The more you work the metal, the less you can reload the same cases. Full length sizing is for using the reloaded cartridges in any firearm of the same caliber. Full-length sizing puts the case back to its original size so it can be chambered in any firearm of that caliber. Most of the case is worked and the metal can thin in some areas, creating weak spots. Neck sizing, as the name states, only works the neck area of the case and thus the metal is not weakened throughout it's entirety. Also, the fire-formed cases can be more accurate when used in the firearm they were originally fired from, if they were only sized at the neck. They will only fit in that same firearm though, so if you have two 5.56 rifles, a neck sized case fired from rifle A, may not fit in rifle B.

Less working of metal = less weakening = longer life

Regardless of the method you choose, always check for signs of wear.

Cheers.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3
William T. Watts

neck sizing

If your concerned about setting the shoulder back turn your FL sizing die out a 1/4 turn and leave the shoulder untouched, turn the resizing die down a 1/4 turn when its necessary to full length size. As to neck sizing only producing smaller groups I have not found that to be true unless you have a match chamber, very few people have match chambers in their rifles. My .02 William

Last edited by William T. Watts; September 19, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old September 19, 2010, 04:49 PM   #4
t45

I neck size my 243ack and full length size only when needed. I have found that neck sizing does increase accuracy for me. I have a tight neck match chamber. If you are loading for a semi, you will probably have to full length size.
Old September 20, 2010, 08:14 AM   #5
cbhester

Thanks for all of the help. I plan to try neck sizing only for a while and see how that works with my rifle. I have a Ruger M77 220Swift and was thinking about getting into some benchrest shooting for fun. Is a match chamber something a person could purchase and install in the rifle for a reasonable amount of cash?
Old September 20, 2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Tuzo

Neck sizing is appropriate for bolt action rifles. It is not recommended for semi-auto rifles - use full length sizing dies for semis.

All my bolt action rifle are neck sized plus annealed every three or so reloading cycles. Every factor being equal there is greater accuracy shooting fire-formed and neck sized cases.
Old September 20, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7
RWBlue01

First it is not a dumb question. Most general questions in reloading are very smart and keep us from loosing face (our faces).

For me it is fairly simple.
1. If it is for a semi-auto, I use the FL sizing.

2. If I am loading for something that MUST always work, I use the FL sizing.

3. If I am reloading with brass I shot from my rifle, for the same rifle, and #1 and #2 from above do not apply, I have the option to neck size. This "should" make a more accurate cartridge. This "should" work the brass less and allow me to shoot it more times.

Happy shooting.
Old September 20, 2010, 10:39 AM   #8
RWBlue01

cbhester, match chamber means re-barreling the rifle. Reasonable cost depends on what you consider reasonable. IMHO, not reasonable, until the barrel you have is FUBARed.

Tags
dies , full length , reloading , sizer