The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1
dla888

Beginning Reloading?

I want the wise sages on this site to give me some advice.
I'm considering the possibility of reloading. I know the basics, but I've never done it. I'd like to reload .223 brass. Can you guys suggest any books or reloading rigs that work really good for you?

Many thanks
Old April 14, 2010, 12:02 AM   #2
impactco

Step 1 - read this before you buy anything else:

http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloading...1221339&sr=8-1
Old April 14, 2010, 12:15 AM   #3
dla888

Thanks man! This should get me off to a good start.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:39 AM   #4
10-96

Pick up a copy of, say, Lyman 49th Edition and then a copy of, say, Hornady Reloading manual. It may sound silly, but once you've been at it a while you'll appreciate the advice of referencing two different sources. The front chapters of each book has very detailed information regarding the processes, steps, cautions, tips, etc that are all corner stones for safe, productive, and enjoyable reloading.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 15, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5
jhansman

I started with the Lee Anniversary kit. It was affordable and did everything I needed to learn. If your start off with a single-stage setup, you become intimately acquainted with every step of the process. From there you can decide if a turret or progressive is for you.
Old April 15, 2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Sevens

I don't think it makes sense to go from a single stage to a turret. I think it makes much more sense to start with a turret press.

I use a single stage and it's worked perfectly for 20+ years for me, and though I still recommend that new folks start with a turret press, I don't think it's worth the upgrade from single stage for myself.
Old April 15, 2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Krieger9

Reloading .223

Just so you know, reloading .223 is a fair amount of work. I think most rifle rounds are but to me the smaller .223 seems to just be a little mroe painful.

Really though this is also enhanced by just how many rounds I shoot since I shoot from an AR.

I find it well worth it as I save a load of money, but it takes a whole lot of time to save that money.

Accuracy kicks ass though.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:06 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Welcome to the asylum! Please read the stickies and the intro section of at least one manual. Equipment choices will be dictated by the type reloading you wish to do. A Lee handloader and a small box of additional tools may meet your needs. You may be happy with no less than a big loading bench loaded with presses, dies, scales, punches, trimmers and sizers with a bullet casting facility on the workshop. There are many levels in between. It's your decision. Figure out where you're going, someone here has been there and will help show you the way. Have fun, be safe!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.