The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Dead Eye

Beretta Choke Tube Problem

I just bought a slightly used Beretta SP III. It had 5 flush mount chock tubes with it but I wanted to buy two extended SKT Tubes. I went back to the place I bought the gun and he had two used Briley Titanium SKT chokes for Ber/Ben. I bought them and when I got home the tubes were too tight and wouldn't even start at the base. So I took the gun and the tubes back and we tried two other Extended Briley tubes for Ber/Ben and they were the same way. The strange part is that the flush mount tubes go in fine. We tried several Ber flush tubes and they all go. I can put the flush mount in without a wrench but the extende tubes won't slide down to where the threads even start. These tubes were all the same style (mobile choke).

Has anyone ever heard or seen this before? The guy I bought the gun from is going to talk to his Briley rep next week and see if he has any ideas.

Last edited by Dead Eye; September 12, 2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old September 12, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
oneounceload

Beretta makes several different types and sizes of choke tubes, depending on the barrel. Some are overbored, some aren't. I have a friend who has several 390's and 391's - they ALL take different choke tubes from each other
Old September 13, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
mwar410

older berettas have mobilechokes, then there is optimas, and now there is optima pluses. seems like they need to make some more money off of us.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
RoscoeC

I'm pretty sure you want Mobil chokes. I have bought several sets from Angle Port. You can buy 5 extended knurled stainless steel chokes for $100.00. These are top quality chokes. I know it's hard to believe with the prices most others charge, but they are a very fine product.

I have bought 3 sets for various shotguns. I couldn't be more pleased. Give them a call, they are very knowledgeable and professional.
NRA Life Member
Old September 14, 2009, 02:56 AM   #5
LanceOregon

As others have mentioned, Beretta has had 3 different choke tube systems:

Mobilchoke
Optima Choke
Optima Plus Choke

You need to figure out which of these 3 different Beretta choke tube systems you have in your gun, and then order choke tubes specifically for that system.

Just asking for "Beretta" chokes is not enough.

--
Old September 14, 2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Dead Eye

Thanks Guys. I stated in my first post that the gun is set for a moble choke. The flush tubes are mobile chokes and they fit. The Briley extended tubes are mobile and they don't fit. I have the same style (mobile) for my Benelli SBE so I took my Kicks high flyer for ben/ber (mobile choke) out and it goes in fine. I have 6 shotguns that operate on the mobile choke (franchi, stoger, 3 benelli's, and beretta). They will all interchange chokes.

The guy I bought the gun from is contacting briley. Most of my extended chokes are Mod to XL (turkey and duck).

I thought maybe the SKT being more open had something to do with it.
Old September 15, 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
LanceOregon

Quote:
The flush tubes are mobile chokes and they fit. The Briley extended tubes are mobile and they don't fit.
I hope you realize that what you are saying here is basically impossible. A Mobilchoke is a Mobilchoke. If the gun uses Mobilchoke, a Mobilchoke is going to fit in it.

They are not called Mobile chokes.

The Benelli Super Black Eagle does not use the Beretta Mobilchoke system. So the fact that the chokes fit that gun fine prove that they are indeed not Mobilchokes.

I own different Berettas with all three of these different choke systems. So believe me, I've already been down this path of trying to figure out choke tube compatibility myself.

Both the gun makers ( Beretta and Benelli ) and the various choke tube companies don't always make things all that clear. It can actually be rather confusing.

--

Last edited by LanceOregon; September 15, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Dead Eye

My SBE is a mobilchoke. I just got off the phone with briley and they confirmed that the SBE's are either mobilchoke or one other type. Briley thinks that the skeet tubes could be at the top of the OD tolerance or my barrell is at the bottom end of the ID tolerance. They have seen it before.
Old September 15, 2009, 05:49 PM   #9
LanceOregon

Ah, OK, you must have an older SBE then.

I've never heard of a Mobilchoke not fitting a Mobilchoke gun. Briley must have screwed up on these chokes.

I pretty much use Beretta brand chokes in my guns. To be more specific: the stainless extended Victory Mobilchokes.

MidWest GunWorks sells them at a 20% discount, making them more affordable than the equivalent Briley chokes.

See:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...ke-tubes/JCMEV

--