The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Mike U.

Any opinions on the new NEF 12 gauge Pump?

I handled one of these last night. Impressive heft and feels fairly tight. Feels like the receiver is made from steel, but I could be wrong. Chinese made. Overall look and feel was of a fairly good working shotgun.
What I found really impressive was the $199.00 price tag at Hyper-Inflation Mountain!

Does anyone have one of these?
Is it a good buy in your assessment?

Lemme have it folks! Right or wrong, good or bad, I need to know.
Old March 10, 2009, 02:53 PM   #2
dalecooper51

A couple years ago, someone threw in one of the shorter barreled turkey version to make up some money on a revolver trade we were making. It seemed like a well enough made gun. I used it off and on for about a year and had no problems with it. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine that couldn't afford to pick up a new gun after his divorce. It's still working for him.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Mike U.

Hmmm...maybe it's not as "new" as I thought. Oh well...

No problems over the course of a couple of years is a good sign.
Do you happen to know if that receiver is made of steel, or not?
Thanks for the report!
Old March 11, 2009, 01:00 AM   #4
TxGun

Yes, the receiver is made of steel.

Yes, they are a very decent SG for the money. I bought one for my brother and he's shot it a lot over the past 6 months. No problems at all.

The only thing I would do (and did): replace the mag spring & follower. The stock ones seemed a little cheap to me. But that's about a $10-15 mod.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:39 AM   #5
MAX100

Here is most of what I know about them from 6 + years of experience working with them. During that time I have seen and handled a couple of hundred of them.

They are made By Norinco and imported by IAC Hawk Ind. It is stamped on the side of the receiver. Remington H&R NEF pays IAC to import them. I have been told that Norinco contracts out the work to another smaller manufacture in China to produces them. They have become quite popular in the US now that people are finding out what a deal they are. They are popular in other countries as well under a different name ...Canada & New Zealand are two.

The Pardner Pump is the same shotgun as the Hawk 982 but the PP has a different style receiver. Both are made by Norinco. The 982 is not new it has been in the US for about 10 years now with ten of thousands sold. They are 870 style shotguns and all 870 parts will fit accept the barrels. The reason is the barrel lug rings is in a higher location.

These shotguns feature the following:

*Harden steel receivers thicker than the 870 receiver
*Machine extractor & ejector
*Aluminum trigger guard higher quality then the one that comes on the 870P
*Barrel lug ring is in a good location for a tactical shotgun. Being higher up there is room to mount accessories between the barrel lug ring and the forend
*Better shell lifter design no need for a Flex Tab
*5+1 capacity & 7+1 with tube extension
*No need for a mag tube clamp with a added tube extension. The Pardner Protector & 982 7+1 tube extension is 3.5" long, shorter is stronger. It is shorter than any high cap tube extension on any other tactical shotgun
*Has mag tube dimples like the 870 Express and uses a ratchet spring retainer setup
*Action can be a little rough on some of the new ones but it is very easy to smooth out just like an 870
*Parkerize finish is a little thin I recommend refinishing them with Dupli Color 500 degree low gloss black engine paint very durable looks nice if applied right. It only cost $6 from your local auto parts store. With the parkerized finish as base coat the Dupli Color Gives a very durable non rust finish
*Excellent starting shotgun to customize all 870 accessories will fit some may need a little fitting
*Very reliable with all 2 3/4" & 3" 12Ga shells, even the cheap shells that some 870 shotguns have problems with
*It comes with the same type follower as the 870 Express. The follower is a copy of the Express follower. I would replace it and I would do the same with an Express follower

They have a rugged Military arms look to them that I like. That is what Norinco does best is build military arms.

I have owned a Hawk 982 for going on 7 years now and never had a problem out of it. It is my favorite tactical pump shotgun. The action is as smooth as butter. I have owned a Pardner Protector for 2 years with no problems.

They are a hell of a deal and the best deal going in any shotgun in ther price range. The 982 is the better deal because it come with a nice set of ghost ring sights that would cost two thirds as much as the shotgun if you bought a similar set after market.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; March 11, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Mike U.

WOW!! Thank you, gentlemen!

I believe I need a new shotgun.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:28 PM   #7
SoilworK777

MAX100

Do the dimples in the magazine tube make it difficult to replace the follower like you suggest? Scattergun Tech says the nylon green one they make won't work with dimpled 870 tubes.

Also, is the "Pardner Protector & 982 7+1 tube extension" a specific one made by Norinco? If not, will the dimples again be a factor in adding an extension?

Thanks!!

Tim S.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Dimple removal tools exist or you can run various deep well sockets in until they are rolled back smooth...
Brent
Old March 11, 2009, 08:04 PM   #9
MAX100

Quote:
Do the dimples in the magazine tube make it difficult to replace the follower like you suggest? Scattergun Tech says the nylon green one they make won't work with dimpled 870 tubes.

Also, is the "Pardner Protector & 982 7+1 tube extension" a specific one made by Norinco? If not, will the dimples again be a factor in adding an extension?
The dimples need to be drilled out with 3/16" bit and clean up with with a dremel, half round fine file and or sandpaper. That is easiest and safest way to remove them. If you damage the mag it is costly to replace. The holes won't be seen because the barrel ring will cover them. I use a hollow open end metal follower in mine because they allow the most space in the tube when the spring is compressed. Brownells brand & Vang metal followers are very good. Solid end followers take away about 1/2" of space.

With no dimples & using a open end follower and the factory mag spring you will be able to fit 6 in the mag tube with standard shells that measure 2.25" before fired. Some shells are little longer and you will only be able to get 5 in the tube with them.

Right now I am the only one that offers a tube extension for the Pardner Protector & Hawk 982 shotguns. With one of my 7+1 tube extensions you can use a solid end follower and still get 7 in the tube. One is included with the tube extension as well as a Wolff extra power spring. Email if interested.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; March 11, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:35 PM   #10
SoilworK777

MAX100

I appreciate the info. A shop near me sells the Hawk for $191.99 and I'm thinking of buying it. What's this I hear about expanding magazine capacity past 5 rounds being illegal? If it doesn't apply to pump guns I'd seriously consider buying an extension from you. If it does apply, is this partly the reason the gun is so inexpensive compared the actual 870? It would be kind of lame to own a gun you can't do what you want with.
Old March 12, 2009, 07:33 PM   #11
MAX100

Quote:
What's this I hear about expanding magazine capacity past 5 rounds being illegal?
I posted my opinion on the subject in the other thread that you read. I own a Pardner Protector & Hawk 982 and both guns have a tube extension on them. The Protector also has a Speedfeed pistol grip stock and a Breacher Muzzle Brake.

GC