The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2007, 09:52 PM   #26
JWT

Have all my guns insured by USAA on a PAF floater as well as my homeowners policy. Never asked them about storing ammo or components and don't ever recall seeing any exclusions.
Old August 17, 2007, 11:20 PM   #27
cloudcroft

Yes, it's best just not to say anything about reloading...most people are so ignorant on the subject -- even most gun owners -- that it really is best to not say anthing rather than try to educate people and still possibly end up with them not getting it and causing you grief over it.

-- John D.
Old August 19, 2007, 12:49 PM   #28
buckster

Reloader insurance

Just put it in an outbuilding not attached to the home. Trailer paneling burns faster than smokeless powders. Black powder however...
Old August 24, 2007, 07:00 PM   #29
daddySEAL

I called USAA and asked for a copy of their standard Homeowner policy, so I could get a heads-up about what it insured and excluded.

Considering it is general military personnel based as customers, I was REALLY SURPRISED to read that the limit of coverage for firearms is ONLY $2,000 !

God Lord, I've got $5,000 plus in handguns alone...not even counting 5 rifles, like family airloom antiques, including an original Winchester 1873 !!

Who has the best/reasonably priced PAF floater? USAA?
How much are they, please?
Could I get one thru the NRA?

Last edited by daddySEAL; August 24, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old August 25, 2007, 01:10 PM   #30
castnblast

USAA sucks...sorry, but they do...Millitary folks get duped into thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. My neighbor is in IRAQ, and his wife asked us how we afford insurance since we can't get USAA...I said WHAT??? Her insurance was almost double ours...(we live in a coastal community...their windstorm is insane...) As for cars, I have GMAC...$500.00/year cheaper than farmers...Germania, which is about $500.00 for equivalent coverage from Allstate which was the cheapest i could find. No problems w/ guns or reloading...I live in Corpus Christi TX...
Old August 25, 2007, 02:24 PM   #31
WSM MAGNUM

When insurance companies, banks, goverment agencies or the like, ask for information that I think is irrevelant to what ever business I am applying for,I just say no. And if they say they cannot process the said business without further info, I just say, that is info you do not need to know. I will take my business somewhere else.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old August 25, 2007, 03:35 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
An insurance policy is a legal contract. Lying on an application is considered to be fraud.
Not volunteering information is not lying. Insurance companies are in the "Risk" business, they will ask the questions they feel they need to in order to quantify their risk.

If they don't ask (and there's nothing about it on the form) then don't volunteer. On the other hand, if you want to know coverage specifics, you'll pretty much HAVE to ask. But they can't penalize you for not volunteering information.
Old August 27, 2007, 12:19 PM   #33
newerguy

You may also want to look into USAA for your mortgage. My experience with them has been excellent. Thier rates were fine, and it was really no hassle. I had more trouble with my lawyer than with USAA. If you have alread started looking for a house (or found one) they can get you a mortgage. If you don't have an agent, look into their Movers Advantage program. It can save you a little money by refunding some of the agent's commission.

I suspect you can get an additional rider for more firearms coverage. It probably isn't expensive, and you don't need to decide right away. Extra jewlery coverage is pretty cheap, and I think they technically add it on to your auto policy.

I have found USAA to be as good or better for auto rates than anyone else, and their service is excellent. Their homeowners coverage is comperable in price to the other I looked at, and I like doing business with them.
Old August 28, 2007, 10:57 AM   #34
castnblast

Newer guy, except in a coastal community...and if you are retired millitary. Active yes, but retired get a different rate. I did a lot of mortgage lending, so like anything, you need to ask. Also, USAA does not retain the service of their mortgages. They sell to the secondary market, so again, you need to shop. I'm in the banking business, so i see this stuff all the time.
Old August 29, 2007, 12:43 PM   #35
daddySEAL

castnblast,
Just like every other mortgage company sells your homeloan to federal agencies, etc..

I've been a USAA for a long time and found they have been more competitive than other companies(lower premiums for the similar coverage on everything from other companies that I've compared them to).

newerguy
I already have a mortgage co., so won't be using them. But have USAA for low cost auto ins. and investment services (stocks, mutual funds, etc. and currently renters ins.) Their cost for homeowners ins. hasn't been matched by other companies I've inquired with. And their additional rider for all my guns is competitive too.

I've been with them for about 25 yrs. for good reason, and I see no reason to not use them for this too....considering I live in central Texas and not near a coast....and it is cheaper again.

thanks
Old August 29, 2007, 04:33 PM   #36
Alleykat

Per John, if whatever you're concerned about isn't specifically excluded, and isn't excluded by statute, then why would you even bring up the subject? On the other hand, if you lie in your answer to a specific question and suffer a major claim later, the insurance company's liability might simply be to issue you a check for refund of your premium. That's also true of life insurance policies, within the first two years.
Old August 29, 2007, 06:31 PM   #37
daddySEAL

I won't lie and I won't bring it up. THANKS Everyone for reloading questions.

I'm on to general homeowners ins coverage on my 10 handguns, plus rifles.

USAA gave me a sample standard policy to look over and with an $8,000 to $10,000 "rider" for firearms...their prices still can't be beat.

thank you
Old August 30, 2007, 07:28 AM   #38
dfaugh

Quote:
About whether or not our insurance would cover, when I started reloading.
So we checked with our Farmers Group agent (no I'm not a farmer), he said "good question, my dad's been loading for years in his house".
Underwriters said NO PROBLEM, go for it!
I have Farmer's becasue they are one of the few companies that have no "dangerous dog breed" rules---so I would check them out. I find nothing in my policy provisions arbout reloeadind, either

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."