The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 4, 2000, 02:42 AM   #1
TwoGuns

Hi, I'm a 17 year old high school student, and have been interested in guns pretty much all my life. Ever since my dad took me out to a ranch in Northern Arizona and taught me how to shoot with 10/22. I've decided that I would like to become involved with firearm gunsmithing, but have no idea where to start. If any of you could give me any info, that would be great! Thanks alot!

-James
Old February 4, 2000, 08:53 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

TwoGuns, the Colorado School of Trades is supposed to be one of the best. http://www.gunsmithing.com/ I don't know of any located in Arizona but you might find some by going to www.gunindex.com. You'll find a list of schools there. I'd contact them all and get whatever information they offer. There are other ways to learn the trade; correspondence courses and apprentice programs but nothing beats formal education. George
Old February 4, 2000, 10:05 PM   #3
innocent bystander

Yavapai College in Prescott did have a gunsmithing program. I took some classes there in '92. Plan on taking a vow of poverty if you go into gunsmithing.
Old February 5, 2000, 01:34 AM   #4
Wallew

TwoGuns,
I am a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing program. There are several other schools available. Yavapi in Prescott is one. Trinidad Jr. College in Trinidad, Co is another. There is one in Troy, NC at Montgomery Comm. Coll. and another in Susanville, Ca at Lassen Comm. Coll. There's also one at Murray State College in Tishomingo, Oklahoma. I can tell you that one of the reasons that I chose the Colorado School of Trade was that you are REQUIRED to fix 35 guns to graduate. They have their own gun room and take firearms in from the public that you will get to work on during your last three or four months of class. If you would like further info about CST, let me know. Jim

[This message has been edited by Wallew (edited February 05, 2000).]
Old February 14, 2000, 11:02 PM   #5
Ruger guy

I'm in the Baltimore, MD area. Are there any decent ones not far away?

Will be moving to Virginia on the delmarva peninsula in the future.(A few years from now.) Anything in that area or maybe Norfolk?
Old February 16, 2000, 04:35 PM   #6
TJ2

There is a good gunsmithing school in Roxboro, NC at Piedmont Community College. This is about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from Norfolk.

Right now I think about 20 - 25 students, etc... It includes makeing a number of your own tools on Mill, Lathe, (full compliment of machine work experience, etc...) instructors seem very knowledgeble and are helpful and easy to get along with (I don't purport to be wise enough to critically evaluate their technical ability). Former students are actively employed all over the place. I think one runs the custome shop at Weatherby. I believe the instructors used to be involved (started?) the program at Montgomery in Troy, and moved to start the program in Roxboro. Not only is this fairly close to where you want to be, the cost of living is fairly low. It is also only a half hour or so away from the RTP area.

Hope this was helpful. Good Luck!!

Here's a contact if you want to call or write for further info at some point:

Pete Erdner
Gunsmithing Instructor
Piedmont Community College
Post Office Box 1197
1715 College Drive
Roxboro, NC 27573

336-599-1181
336-597-3817 (fax)