The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 7, 2002, 08:59 PM   #1
RdB

Choate +2, 870 "Issues"

Hi,

I finally bought myself a Choate +2 mag extension brand-new at a gunshow today for $39, for my 870 Express, with a cut down (to 18 1/8") old Remington 2 3/4" chambered, non ribbed barrel, with a bead installed. Here's what's up...

The Dimples...

Removing them was a piece of cake ( I thought that this would be that hard part!) I used a appropriate sized socket and a ball-peen hammer to flatten them out. So far, so good.

The Orange Plastic Follower...

It just doesn't fit well in the mag tube (the mag tube is clean & smooth) The diameter of the follower should be about .010" smaller. I guess I'll put it in the lathe & turn it down some.

The clamp...

The one that holds the barrel & mag tube togerther, and has a handy sling swivel. When I try to attach it, it pulls the mag tube upwards towards the barrel, making the mag tube actually bend, and not feed the shells correctly (One can feel them bind at the mag tube/extension junction) I simply didn't use the clamp (but I want to!)

The Spring...

Man, that thing is hella-tough to get in there. It's about 15" longer than the whole assembly (mag tube & ext.) Definitely wear safety glasses!

I will contact Choate about the clamp & follower, and see what they have to say. Anyone else have this much trouble? Comments? Advice?

Thanks,
Russ
Old December 8, 2002, 11:05 AM   #2
george miller

the orange follower is designed to allow the spring to slide over it(rather than spring setting inside) and let it move freely inside the tube.maybe you haveva bad clamp,it shouldnt raise or change anything.have seen some factory extensions that will do the same thing with clamps.second to rem. factory,id say the choate is best.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:58 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Turn the clamp 180 degrees and try again. On mine, the side that's for the bbl is of different diameter than that for the tube. This may clear up the prob.
Old December 8, 2002, 06:49 PM   #4
RdB

Thanks for the replies,

Dave, you made me go take a second look at that clamp...

I have/had the clamp orientated correctly (large radius on the mag tube, small radius on the barrel) The barrel & mag tube are too far apart to be aligned correctly. The clamp tries to "pull the mag tube towards the barrel, which makes it bend at the threaded area. :barf: (neat smilie)
Old December 8, 2002, 06:58 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK....

Next thing, is the collar that tightens down on the threads tight? And are you sure you didn't crossthread? While some clamps do pull a little off straight, enough bend to impede cycling is rare enough I've not seen it.
Old December 9, 2002, 01:42 AM   #6
RdB

More prodding has found the problem with the clamp...

First, I tried the original 28" express barrel that came with the gun. The extension and clamp all worked as designed.

The lug on the short barrel (the ring that fits over the mag tube) was bent/crooked. (this is an old 870, 2 3/4" chambered, non-ribbed barrel that I cut down to 18 1/8") I had never noticed the bent lug before the extension. Some very careful application of a soft-faced hammer has remedied the mis-alignment. Now the extension fits well, as does the clamp.

And I sure did wrestle with that spring

Thanks for all your help,
Russ