The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Preference for On Board Ammo Carry - Pump Action
Sling Mounted 0 0%
Stock Mounted 8 27.59%
Side of Receiver Mounted 13 44.83%
Combination of above 4 13.79%
Other - Please Post 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25, 2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Old Bill Dibble

Extra On-Board Ammo Carry

What is your preference for extra on board ammo carry?
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old September 26, 2016, 12:34 AM   #2
WIN71

Just becase I was trained with it

For 33 years.
20' 870, four or more rounds in a leather pouch (in the 60's) just behind the pistol grip.
We did not have slings but when things go bad and you haven't handled it with 5 or 6 rounds of magnum double O shot, I would hate to have to chase my sling to load up.
Unless I was trained that way.......
Old September 26, 2016, 02:30 AM   #3
Blindstitch

5 on the stock works for me. I do have a sling with 25 slots that I think can double as a belt but 2 pounds of ammo flapping around on a sling isn't my idea of fun.
Old September 26, 2016, 03:32 AM   #4
JERRYS.

5 or 6 rounds on the butt stock or frame side is it for me. anything more I carry in a bandolier so my shotgun is still portable.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Model12Win

I have 6 on the butt stock, 8 on a sidesaddle, and 25 on the sling of my Mossberg M590A1 heavy barrel 20" model, with 9 in the gun for a total of 48 shells on gun. I consider it the MINIMUM tactical load out that any Operator should consider for engaging tangos at CQB distances with.

Just kidding, I got rid of that pig and now have a Remington 870P with 4-shot magazine tube and six spare shells on a buttstock shell holder. It works.
Old September 26, 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
FITASC

6 on a sidesaddle. You never want ammo on a sling that is flopping around all over the place. The sidesaddle also helps keep the added weight between the hands better.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 26, 2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Model12Win

Quote:
6 on a sidesaddle. You never want ammo on a sling that is flopping around all over the place. The sidesaddle also helps keep the added weight between the hands better.
As Pappy said "tis better on the butt than 'tween the hands" as it were.

A butt holder keeps the weight even farther back, allowing for tighter tactical maneuvering in a home or vehicle.
Old September 26, 2016, 11:28 AM   #8
FITASC

I'm not going to be using a shotgun in a vehicle in a tactical manner. I prefer a better balance so I can move either half of the gun in a smooth deliberate manner. It's what works for me.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 26, 2016, 09:13 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Receiver side saddle. If I don't have to carry the shotgun all day. If I have to carry it leave the ammo off the gun. I tried it once and decided I could do without.

The community doesn't get excited about carrying extra ammo on any other type of firearms. I think the idea goes back to the patrol gun that sits in a car all day or the HD gun in a closet.
Old September 26, 2016, 09:58 PM   #10
stephen426

What for? I bought a Keltec KSG! LOL 12+1 rounds of 3" or 14+1 of 12 3/4" shells. Reloading that thing is pretty slow, but I hope I'll never need more than the 12+1 I have.
Old September 26, 2016, 10:04 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

None of the above.

Too much weight.
Too snag-prone.

If I want to carry extra ammo, I have pockets (or belt pouches).
If I want extra ammo available with the shotgun, I have a bandoleer that can be loaded. (But I never have, and don't plan to.)
Old September 27, 2016, 04:31 AM   #12
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
The community doesn't get excited about carrying extra ammo on any other type of firearms. I think the idea goes back to the patrol gun that sits in a car all day or the HD gun in a closet.
12GA Shotgun ammo is heavy and very large. It presents kind of a unique challenge to make sure you feel you have enough depending upon what you are doing with it.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old September 27, 2016, 07:31 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
12GA Shotgun ammo is heavy and very large. It presents kind of a unique challenge to make sure you feel you have enough depending upon what you are doing with it.
I don't think any of the on-gun options solve the problem better than the off-gun options. If I was really interested in carrying a lot of 12 ga ammo around I would probably look at modifying one of the shotgun magazines.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...mgssfmp1210.do
Figure out someway to securely attach that on my body and modify it so I can pull rounds out of it easily.
Old September 28, 2016, 07:18 AM   #14
CLC

I've been told by people with training to keep ammo in a pocket or some other sort of pouch.
Old September 28, 2016, 11:13 AM   #15
rpseraph

My 2 cents.

- Slings flop around
- I don't like anything changing my stock balance
- If I really feel the need to carry extra rounds outside of my jacket or dump pouch, it would be receiver mounted so that it would be in the same place every time and balance wise in the middle.
Old September 28, 2016, 06:55 PM   #16
Old Bill Dibble

No love for sling mounted. I understand. I have never tried one myself either. They seem so impractical and goofy I am not sure how to make one work.

They still sell them though.
Old September 30, 2016, 07:20 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

https://www.google.com/search?q=doub...pOi5W5LXYbM%3A
Time to get serious. Remember, it is a 2-pack!
Old September 30, 2016, 08:09 PM   #18
jimbob86

Extra shells when hunting upland birds: I have a blaze orange vest with loops for 10 shells or so, and room for another 10 or so loose in the pockets.

For turkey? 3 in the gun should be more than enough.

Doves? I bring a 5 gallon bucket....... and wear a 25 round bandolier, constantly refilling it from the boxes of shells in the bucket........
Old October 2, 2016, 12:06 AM   #19
Wheelgun

The only on board ammo mine has is in the extended magazine tube. I tried the side mount, but don't care for it. Having shot enough Skeet, Clays, and flurries, that I am comfortable with reloading from off the gun. Plus it keeps the weight of the gun down.

YMMV,

Wheelgun
Old October 2, 2016, 11:50 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Voted stock mounted just because the Lick Lite AR stock I put on my 870 came with it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!