The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 25, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1
mete

The rest of the story !

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/25...est=latestnews

I couldn't find a post on the original story given by the woman.This new story gets her in serious trouble.
Not knowing if the man was actually the guilty one .
Firing the gun to show it's real ! [and not a pink Barbie gun ! ]
There are many other ways she could have handled the situation but anger ruled her instead .
Old January 25, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Overhill

I cant believe that a prosecutor could be that stupid. where does she think that bullet might end up? They should give her the Maximum.
Old January 26, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3
12GaugeShuggoth

Wow.......stupid stupid stupid.

If you can't sleep, there's a pill for that
If you don't like the way you look, there's a surgery for that
If you don't like the way your gun fits, there's a new holster for that
ON THE OTHER HAND
If you're stupid........well you're stuck, good luck with that one.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 26, 2012, 12:51 AM   #4
miconoakisland

According to the report, she's 37 and was an ADA 1989-94.
Now, I know I'm getting older and ADA's are looking younger and younger, but a 14yr old ADA?
If the reporter got THAT wrong, imagine what else she got wrong.

Underage drinking, pink gun, harmless (though annoying) pranks, firing a gun with no intent to destroy, etc, etc.. So many stupid things going on in that neighborhood. Glad I don't live there!
Old January 26, 2012, 02:25 AM   #5
farmerboy

How would some others say they would've handled it any differently? C'mon I don't see that really too bad myself! What I'f she shot into the ground?
Old January 26, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
mete

Makes no difference she fired the gun therefore reckless endangerment !
Old January 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #7
spacecoast

Might make those who have pink or purple guns rethink a bit... I'd love to have seen the look on his face though. In a way I understand what she did, no matter how stupid it was (especially in NY).
Old January 26, 2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Unfortunately, there are cases where the pranking kids have been killed. I know one where a teenage boy went up to the door to apologize for such and got his head blown off with a twelve gauge (that just went off by itself). Homeowner got some kind of misdemeanor killing a person deal.
Old January 26, 2012, 11:33 AM   #9
doofus47

Who watches the watchmen?

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out...
Old January 26, 2012, 11:50 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Released without bail?
For violent gun crimes?
Ain't Long Gi-land under NYC gun laws?
Pretty serious discrimination and poor use of discretion...

Brent
Old January 26, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Overhill

How would some others say they would've handled it any differently? C'mon I don't see that really too bad myself! What I'f she shot into the ground?

I personally saw a windshield blown out from someone who thought they were safely shooting into the ground. The bullet ricocheted off a small rock. There was no reason for firing that shot.

Last edited by Overhill; January 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Highlighting
Old January 26, 2012, 12:58 PM   #12
farmerboy

no

Last edited by farmerboy; January 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: because
Old January 26, 2012, 03:44 PM   #13
mete

She lives in Nassau Co not NYC !
Old January 26, 2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Young.Gun.612

Speeding and recklessly discharging a fire "to prove its real" are two totally different beasts.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:56 PM   #15
K_Mac

farmerboy this is the kind of stupid and reckless conduct that gives all gun owners a black eye. Being angry and frustrated is not justification for using a weapon. I am not saying she should be given life in the electric chair, but a verbal reprimand by the responding officer would not be a reasonable response.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:10 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

Let me see what my mind comes up with here.

(Lady is upset after several times ding dong gone is pulled on her. She wathces the door. and an athleticly built teen rings the bell and attempts to run. Woman opens door and conversation and action occour.)

(Woman) "Stop or I will shoot you little punk! I am tired of this crap you keep doing. Leave my effing house alone."

(Teen aged male) "Yo F*#@ you B*&$#! that a'itn even a real gun ho! Oh I will come over there and rape you while your kids watch. You ain't gonna do squat."

(Woman) Points gun at ground pulls trigger, and gun goes boom, and brings it up to level.

Seems like a likely scenario to me

Rember the teen had been drinking beer with neighbors, and was probably trying to look tough in front of everyone on the block.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:24 PM   #17
Nnobby45

Well, "Hell hath no fury".

Somehow I don't like seeing the punk getting off easier than the woman he ticked off. Blew her cool? Yes. But firing the gun into the ground after being threatened with rape and the murder of her family, while extreme, does show some restraint.

In that leberal bastion of the country, a 5 yr. old girl can get suspended for bringing a little pink squirt gun to school because a bureaucratic gas bag administrator has to send a message. Too bad a message can't be sent to the little punks who started it all.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:08 PM   #18
farmerboy

Last edited by farmerboy; January 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: because
Old January 26, 2012, 08:44 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Even with florida's castle and stand your ground leanings, detaining with lethal weapons isn't allowed in cases of ding dong ditch as it isn't exactly a violent felony by definition... What went down after premature display, imho, is akin to the consequences in other situations where excessive or premature use of force makes matters not as clear when the threat level escalates (often due to the premature use or display of force) up to where the use of that force would have been likely justified.

Brent
Old January 26, 2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Sefner

The kids didn't actually say they were going to rape and kill anyone, she made that up. Read the article. She changed her story.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:05 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

Even if he did not threaten the rape. I am guessing that the young male probably said somehting about the gun not being real, and the woman fired it into the ground showing not only was it real, that she also meant buisness.

Sounds to me more like dicharge of a fire arm in city limits. A misdemenor. As far as the other chages I doubt they stick.

Remeber she is an attorney. I am sure she will have a very good attorney to represent her, and the case will either be a pla for a misdemenor, or dropped.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:26 PM   #22
Overhill

I am really surprised at some of the responses here. First of all it was never stated that she fired into gun ground. She said she fired to the right of him towards the ground and god only knows where the shot landed. She has kids in the house. She should not have gone outside to accost him them. She should have called 911 and kept her gun ready behind locked doors. It was an irresponsible act that just the gives the anti gun crowd more ammunition.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #23
GlockedNLoded32

Im sorry but idiots like this give us responsible gun owners a bad image also people on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds should not be allowed two own or posses a firearm of any kind due to lack of judgement as seen in the new york post above
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old January 27, 2012, 05:05 PM   #24
farmerboy

anti depressant meds and no gun? well if you do anti depressant meds then you need to do all the other meds to be fair, high blood pressure, and next will be vitamins, herbs and just keeps going. Why do you just say they need to take all guns from law abiding citizens and leave the others alone because thats where this would go.
Old January 27, 2012, 08:06 PM   #25
K_Mac

While I think comparing psychotropic drugs to vitamins and high blood pressure meds is silly, I think a policy arbitrarily forbidding anyone who uses some form of mild mood enhancing drug from owning guns is a very dangerous and slippery slope. Based on usage, it is a good bet that there are many TFL members in that category.