The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 23, 2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Bill DeShivs

I CAN make your replacement grip, but by the time you purchase a piece of pearl large enough (if you can even find it) and pay my labor rates, I doubt you would be interested.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:42 AM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

if you had exact measurements, I may have a spare MOP grip, as I collect those guns, & have a small bin drawer full of unmarked MOP grips...

BTW... most of what I have shot in pearl grips, have been in 32 & 38 S&W, but they are definitely shootable, definitely not backed by anything, ( in fact they often have some space behind them from the natural curvature of the shells they are made from...

BTW #2... I have taken & reshaped ( unfortunately, probably just the grips that RMBRAD is looking for... the way things go ) non fitting pearl grips, to fit an old S&W 32 "lemon squeezer" that didn't have the correct grip panels when I bought it, they were pretty easy to re-shape, & the material actually seems pretty easy to work with...

I also picked up a perfect set of original S&W medallion pearls about a year or two ago on E-Bay... that fit one of my S&W top break 38's... IMO, on a blued gun, the pearls look most awesome... I do see them a lot on nickel guns, & I'd prefer darker grips on the nickel guns... ( or maybe a set of original S&W "red" grips on a nickel S&W ) so some of my extras might have been removed from some of my antique nickel guns, that have been replaced with original gutta percha

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 25, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old July 25, 2013, 06:44 AM   #28
ClydeFrog

Ajax Grips?....

I checked the Ajax Grips site and it had a few products on it.
It looked fine to me.
Ivory/ivory type handgun grips look cool but Im not sure how practical they are.
Retired Texas Ranger & former DPS trooper Joquin Jackson wrote in One Ranger that ivory pistol grips can be slippery.

The did look wicked on actor Al Pachino's Colt Officer's Model in the cop thriller; Heat(1995). www.imfdb.org
Old July 26, 2013, 04:39 PM   #29
rmbrad

Magnum Wheel Man: I will send you an email with a picture of the good panel. I don't know what measurements you will need.

This gun was my Wife's Grandfather's gun. This has sentimental value for her so I am trying to get it back in shape. I suspect that it was purchased new, or with very little use. It is surprisingly tight for it's age, and the nickel isn't too bad.
Old July 27, 2013, 08:19 AM   #30
PawPaw

I've dealt with the folks at gungrips.net and have been very pleased with the quality of the work and the turnaround time.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com