The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 28, 2021, 10:55 AM   #1
Leviatano

Anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner for aluminum?

Specifically, suppressor baffles. If so, tell me more.
Old March 28, 2021, 02:25 PM   #2
ss1/G8RFAN

I've used L&R Safety Ultrasonic Weapon Cleaning Solution for years and I've had no discernable surface marring or discoloration with anodized parts, however, bare aluminum is not recommended honestly. However, cups/baffles in a 22 can will obviously will get cruddy quickly with use, so I'm not sure if there is an aesthetically reason not to. I think my 22 TS suppressor warned me not to use ultrasonic cleaners, but I might be wrong.
Old March 29, 2021, 04:00 AM   #3
Leviatano

Thanks!
Old March 29, 2021, 08:04 AM   #4
eflyguy

Not sure why bare aluminum would not be recommended.

I have not used it for firearm parts but have been cleaning carburetors (mostly bare aluminum with steel and brass components) in very harsh chemicals for many years. They come out generally looking like brand new.
Old March 30, 2021, 10:47 AM   #5
ss1/G8RFAN

It’s my understanding since I’m not an engineer in fluid dynamics that ultrasonic cleaners causes cavitation along the surface thus scrubbing the object clean. This cavitation can cause microscopic pitting in softer metals such as aluminum. I worked as a gunsmith for about ten years and that was what was told to me but it could be wives tales for all I know. Been just a hobbyist for the past 10 and as I said, I haven’t seen any discoloration on anodized parts but I also don’t cook aluminum parts in my tank any longer than it needs to to get it clean.
Old March 30, 2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Scorch

I think the aluminum warning has more to do with anodized and dyed aluminum. A lot of anodized firearms used to be aniline dyed to turn them blabk. Anodized aluminum will get lighter in color if you leave it is an ultrasonic too long. It can really upset a customer. Don't ask how I know.
Old March 30, 2021, 06:47 PM   #7
sparkyv

Not a wives tale.

Sonication of aluminum foil: https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/for...=70777#p386882

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1/G8RFAN View Post
It’s my understanding since I’m not an engineer in fluid dynamics that ultrasonic cleaners causes cavitation along the surface thus scrubbing the object clean. This cavitation can cause microscopic pitting in softer metals such as aluminum. I worked as a gunsmith for about ten years and that was what was told to me but it could be wives tales for all I know.