The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 23, 2008, 02:28 PM   #51
thomp830

How many guns?

Some people have a problem with guns- they have too many.
For home defense you only need one gun. Why? Because you can only USE one gun at a time. You can also only be in contol of one gun at a time. In most States if you have a gun in your house you are required to keep it safe. If you have 5 guns hidden around your house and someone gets hold of one YOU will be liable!
Also- Keeping 4 guns loaded and locked up makes no sense! Don't be a Mall Ninja-If you lock them up you should unload them. They don't do you any good locked up- so they don't need to be loaded!
Carry one and use one. Pick the most practical- practice with it, carry it and keep it safe so it will keep your family safe!
DON'T FORGET: If you have to shoot at someone you better know what your target is! You might think its a bad guy when it's really little Suzy.
Old July 23, 2008, 03:38 PM   #52
Protector

Quote:
That's my feeling as well. One loaded .38 by the bed, and the rest locked up in the safe. That was good enough for my dad, is good enough for my LEO brother, and good enough for me. I do keep a small pepper-spray in the kitchen drawer (good for wayward dogs), and a 13" stiletto (primarily used as a letter-opener) by my favorite chair, and I always carry my cell-phone. IMHO, that's all I need.:barf:

I will assume your Dad and Brother have never had one or more BG's break into their house with fully auto or even semi-auto assult rifles....and you had better hope you don't either, because chances are your .38, letter opener nor your cell phone is going to do you nor your family any good!!!
I recommend if you are worried about home invasions, that you make some upgrades to your house that can prevent them and get used to packing heat on you till you lay down to go to sleep!!!!

Wake up people we no longer live in the same world that our parents did...you may not get a second chance to be prepared and trained...do it now before it's too late. The BG's are all around us and they are playing for keeps, you'd better be ready to protect yourself and family!!!
REM. 870 MAGNUM 20 GAUGE (WIFE'S)
Old July 23, 2008, 06:59 PM   #53
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Get a good alarm system and a locking bedroom door.
Nope, that's out. The cats would be PO'd if they couldn't come in and walk all over us.
Old July 23, 2008, 07:53 PM   #54
simplekindaman

"Quote:
That's my feeling as well. One loaded .38 by the bed, and the rest locked up in the safe. That was good enough for my dad, is good enough for my LEO brother, and good enough for me. I do keep a small pepper-spray in the kitchen drawer (good for wayward dogs), and a 13" stiletto (primarily used as a letter-opener) by my favorite chair, and I always carry my cell-phone. IMHO, that's all I need.

I will assume your Dad and Brother have never had one or more BG's break into their house with fully auto or even semi-auto assult rifles....and you had better hope you don't either, because chances are your .38, letter opener nor your cell phone is going to do you nor your family any good!!!
I recommend if you are worried about home invasions, that you make some upgrades to your house that can prevent them and get used to packing heat on you till you lay down to go to sleep!!!!

Wake up people we no longer live in the same world that our parents did...you may not get a second chance to be prepared and trained...do it now before it's too late. The BG's are all around us and they are playing for keeps, you'd better be ready to protect yourself and family!!!"

what warzone do you reside in? ive never before in my life heard of someone breaking into someone elses house with any form of "assault" weapons in my community. im not sure how common inccidents of fireteams of drugged up lunatics with ak's and mac-10's go perusing through otherwise innocent homes are in the other parts of the country.

i have a remmington 870, unloaded in my corner with a box of shells hidden near by but easily accessable. the redhawk stays in a box, locked in my desk. the rifles stay in bags, unloaded, locked in a footlocker. i figure if this said gang of lunatics comes into my house with enough ordinance to conquer france, nothing i can obtain legally id going to help anyways. my opinion though, if you feel safer with AR-15's in ever closet or with a .38 on your nightstand, thats your call. i dont see many of us needing any of the above, with any luck and prefference.
Old July 24, 2008, 06:31 AM   #55
Protector

Hey Simplekindaman,
I live in the same world you do...I'm just not stupid enough to have the attitude that
"nothing bad will ever happen to me because I live in Utopia"

I am a realist walking around with my eyes open...not ignoring what is going on hoping if I ignore it, then it will never happen to me.

Check out the links below...this is the community in which I live!!!!

http://www.wichita-massacre.com/

http://www.kansas.com/news/special_packages/btk/

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/10132136.html

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu486_1

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/19610099.html

The world we live in is becoming a Jungle with many dangerous predators...and we must be able to defend ourselves at all times...even in our own homes!!!
REM. 870 MAGNUM 20 GAUGE (WIFE'S)
Old July 24, 2008, 08:10 AM   #56
KCabbage

Quote:
For home defense you only need one gun. Why? Because you can only USE one gun at a time. You can also only be in contol of one gun at a time. In most States if you have a gun in your house you are required to keep it safe. If you have 5 guns hidden around your house and someone gets hold of one YOU will be liable!
Also- Keeping 4 guns loaded and locked up makes no sense! Don't be a Mall Ninja-If you lock them up you should unload them. They don't do you any good locked up- so they don't need to be loaded!
Carry one and use one. Pick the most practical- practice with it, carry it and keep it safe so it will keep your family safe!
DON'T FORGET: If you have to shoot at someone you better know what your target is! You might think its a bad guy when it's really little Suzy.

Remeber, this is YOUR opinion!
One gun huh? Keep it unloaded and locked up eh?
So when I go to my A.M. part time job and take my pistol with me, what does my family use to protect themselves? Oh I forgot, they're immune to attack while i'm at work and police arrive on scene 10 seconds after calling 911.
The number of scenarios where an aggressor could do your family harm are many. Do you think your going to have enough time to unlock and load up your gun?
The last thing I want to do is have to unlock and load my weapon after hearing someone break in my house or making their way up my stairs
in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping.
I'm not trying to single you out, when I clicked this topic I mistakenly took you for the thread starter.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:36 AM   #57
alistaire

Quote:
Nope, that's out. The cats would be PO'd if they couldn't come in and walk all over us.
There are special cat doors for that problem. Use the smallest one the cats can fit through.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:00 PM   #58
TPAW

Quote:
Wake up people we no longer live in the same world that our parents did...you may not get a second chance to be prepared and trained...do it now before it's too late. The BG's are all around us and they are playing for keeps, you'd better be ready to protect yourself and family!!!
A very sad statement but also a very true statement. Anyone who breaks into your house whether knowing or not knowing if anyone is inside, is willing to do anything to get out. Night time burglaries are the most deadly. With the economy being what it is, crime is on the rise and continuing to rise.

Last edited by TPAW; July 24, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old July 25, 2008, 02:21 PM   #59
dmazur

Guns locked up?

Quote:
...Don't be a Mall Ninja-If you lock them up you should unload them. They don't do you any good locked up- so they don't need to be loaded!
We have two family members who both CCW, and a rapid-access safe to keep them in when they're not in use. Condition 3 in the safe, which isn't unloaded.

Noise in the middle of the night? 7 seconds to open safe and get gun to Condition 1.

When we're not in the house, these guns are with us.

However, the long guns are a different protocol. Unloaded, in gun safe.

Rapid-access safes are a compromise between "instantly available" and "DC style storage" (that is, locked, disassembled & unloaded), and I think they are a good alternative if you are worried about the liability of leaving guns laying around.

Different answers for different situations.
Old August 6, 2008, 05:59 AM   #60
mpage

Quote:
Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?
Quoted for truth.
Old August 6, 2008, 01:39 PM   #61
mamboreta

I used to keep four guns loaded and ready to roll, but lately I´ve changed my mind and set for the "one for me, one for the lady" type of thinking. I don´t want to find myself trying to decide in the rush if the smartest move is to priorize mag capacities, ballistics, confort, reliability, caliber... I trust all my firearms. I want to limit my choices for my own sake, and my house is not that big.

I mean: P226 + 2 extra fully loaded magazines for me, and a nice 3' .38 spl. six shots revolver for my wife (no speedloader). And I´m sure she´ll unload and put away the revolver as soon as she gets pregnant.

Last edited by mamboreta; August 6, 2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: ...still learning English
Old August 6, 2008, 02:18 PM   #62
Glenn E. Meyer

Google the Petit family and decide how your various strategies and analyses would have worked for you in that scenario.
Old August 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #63
jtnorwalkpd

How often do a bunch of guys with full-auto break into people's homes??? Unless you're a drug dealer- rarely!
The truth is that even if someone came in you house with a full-auto AK47 with 300 round of ammo- it doesn't matter how many guns you have! All you need is one gun that you can handle well. Having 10 loaded guns hidden around the house is a waste- you can't use 10 guns, and you can't get to them if someone is shooting at you.
If a burglar breaks into your house to steal your stuff (or kill you) he'll turn tail and run (or die) when confronted with some fast moving lead- no matter WHAT kind of weapon he's carrying.
If you sleep with a handgun next to you- make sure you have a flashlight too! If you feel that a handgun isn't enough then a 12 gauge will handle ANY problem. Don't get gun-happy, get practical instead.
Old August 7, 2008, 01:07 PM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

And you know this for sure - because?

So do you carry a gun with you into every room? If your one gun is upstairs and you are downstairs taking a nap on the couch - like Dr. Petit - oh, well.

It is not unreasonable to have guns secured in different places in a larger home.
Old August 7, 2008, 02:19 PM   #65
jtnorwalkpd

The problem- as with the Petit situation- is that we all have to sleep sometime. Don't just rely on guns. During a break in you need time to get to your gun (or pick it up and get your eyes to focus, etc). You need something else. You need some type of warning that trouble is coming, like an alarm or a dog.
10 guns won't save you if you don't know something's wrong. Don't get me wrong- there's nothing wrong with having more than one. I have several. My point is that too many people feel that if they have a lot of gun they will be safe. It isn't the number of guns you have- it's the preperation.
Should you prepare for the freak home invasion like the Petits? YES! There are alot of maniacs in this world. But don't forget that preparation means more than guns. You can hide guns all over your house but they won't do you any good if the Bad Guy sneaks in while you're sleeping.
Old August 10, 2008, 06:45 PM   #66
WVfishguy

dabigguns357 wrote:
Quote:
my wife will come in from work sometimes and laugh at me because I'm doing the dishes with a 357 strapped to my hip
Let her laugh - you should be armed.

We live in the same town, and it's getting worse here everyday. Almost 100% drug related. Heroin overdoses, gunfights, things I never imagined would happen here.

We had a house in an "old money" section of town get sprayed with an AK.

I usually carry all the time, even at home, and my wife never says a thing - she's never far from her Ruger .357.
Old August 11, 2008, 03:11 PM   #67
Michaelm45

Camouflage?

For you guys that hide a gun in a drawer or cupboard.
Do you leave it bare or try to cover it up with a towel or???
Thanks
Old August 11, 2008, 06:37 PM   #68
MFMayes

Quote:
How often do a bunch of guys with full-auto break into people's homes??? Unless you're a drug dealer- rarely!
Even then, that "bunch of guys" is usually the police.
Old August 14, 2008, 04:09 PM   #69
Daugherty16

Lots of opinions - maybe they're all correct

My wife is not a shooter. My kids are too young to be shooters. Aside from my carry pistol, all my guns are locked up in my safe. It takes 10 seconds to open, where my other handguns are loaded and ready to go. I couldn't possibly leave guns around the house unsecured, as it would be irresponsible, dangerous and probably criminal. The exception - my carry gun goes in the nightstand at bedtime and back on my belt in the morning.

That said, it's what works for me. Everyone who owns a firearm has to work out the meaning of responsibility and safety for themselves. Noone else has the combination to my safe. Until my wife is willing to invest the time to learn gun safety and handling, and demonstrates competence with all my guns, it stays that way.

But why do i carry? I am fortunate to live in an upscale, desireable neighborhood in a pricey desireable town. Unfortunately, it's also "where the rich white folks live" and there have been two very recent home invasions. Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them just needs to look at the home invasion in Cheshire CT last year. Mother and two daughters, burned to death by two recently released repeat felons. A whole family - wiped out. I'm getting older, the world is changing, and having a 9mm answer if my door is busted down makes me feel a little safer.

LEOs have no duty to protect any individual citizen, just the community at large. Besides when the "suck" happens, it's usually over much too fast for the cops to get involved, except later on to do their investigating. I strongly believe we each have a duty - to ourselves and our loved ones - to have the means and the training to protect them, all the while hoping it never happens .
Old August 15, 2008, 10:47 PM   #70
bennnn

Quote:
hell,, It's a regular thing for me to actually lose guns in the house and not be able to find them for days on end.. I've had to ask my wife several times if she's seen a certian one somewhere recently so I can try to find it...

And I'm not just talking about handguns,, but the few that I rely on for protection are always close to hand and tuned up and fuled up better than nascar crap...
Old August 16, 2008, 03:38 AM   #71
shortwave

Not a room in my house without a gun. Have a detached garage,one in there also. I,as the bad guy have a job to do. His is to break in my house as quite as he can and do what bad guys do. Mine is to stop him. I`ve always taken pride in trying to do all my jobs as well as I can. Also very well said jtnorwalkpd.
Old August 16, 2008, 11:38 AM   #72
vox rationis

Quote:
But why do i carry? I am fortunate to live in an upscale, desireable neighborhood in a pricey desireable town. Unfortunately, it's also "where the rich white folks live" and there have been two very recent home invasions. Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them just needs to look at the home invasion in Cheshire CT last year. Mother and two daughters, burned to death by two recently released repeat felons. A whole family - wiped out. I'm getting older, the world is changing, and having a 9mm answer if my door is busted down makes me feel a little safer.
This is the Dr. Petit case referred to a few posts ago.

I do believe it happened in the morning, and I do believe that the front door was open, or at least unlocked, and the murderers came in as the family was getting ready for the day. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But of course, they lived in a "safe" neighborhood, so why be "paranoid" and keep the house secure, and have "disgusting" things such a gun, let alone guns (in the plural) around.

But once your security is penetrated, and it is one's choice whether or not to make it either easy, or harder, for the intruders, it might not be a bad idea to have some guns in a few hidden/secure locations, stored in something like this

As the poster above alluded to, a strategically placed loaded weapon in the basement, where Dr. Petit was left for dead, might have made the difference between his family being massacred and burned to death, or not. At least he might have had a fighting chance.

Tragic, very tragic...
Old August 16, 2008, 03:50 PM   #73
tvrobert

I keep two loaded dogs and two loaded guns around the house. If the dogs go off and I don't know why, I'll grab the closest firearm to have a look-see/listen. I'm not worried about the dogs sleeping at the switch, as it were. They'll yark at deer wayyy out in the field or a vehicle that's passing by slower than normal.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:31 PM   #74
XD-Ro

multiple guns..check
multiple dogs...check
angry and sometime PMSing wife...check and check....
Old August 17, 2008, 06:33 AM   #75
skoro

My place is one of those kinda long, narrow ranch-style homes built in the late 50s. The living area is at one end of the house, the bedrooms are at the opposite end. The entrance is in the middle, between these two areas. I keep two loaded revolvers: one in the BR and one stashed at the other end of the house. I won't be caught having to rush or sneak past an intruder in order to have access to a weapon that way.

If the layout was different, I could do well with a single gun. But it is what it is. I used to be a Boy Scout: be prepared.